How important is prey drive in schutzhund protection? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

How important is prey drive in schutzhund protection?

The protection instinct is different from prey drive I'm assuming. Does a high prey drive dog make a good schutzhund dog or does it even matter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 09:30 PM
Crowned Member

Yes, prey drive is very important but there needs to be balance.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
Yes, prey drive is very important but there needs to be balance.
Balance between other drives, or balance in the sense that the dog must be calm & under control?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 09:42 PM
Crowned Member

Balance in drives. I don't know if "calm" is the best word but the dog shouldn't be out of its mind either.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 09:52 PM
Crowned Member

I like a dog with a bit of higher prey drive as they are easier to work in the other phases(ball drive and hunt drive go hand in hand with prey) so obedience and tracking make it much easier for a dog to do when the prey drive is there. Many dogs that are higher in prey are also a bit lower in the thresholds, so will react easily.
My dog has prey drive but it isn't huge. He is also a bit higher in threshold, yet activates very easily on the protection field.
In his protection work, he works in defense/ aggression and lives for the fight, not for the helper dancing or running around.

A dog can get locked in prey and that makes it harder for the helper to bring out the defensiveness. Balancing it, but waiting for when the dog is ready is very important. You can't get the defense going when the dog is still immature in the brain, and you don't want to keep building up an already high prey dog when doing protection. I think that is the main reason some wait to start protection/defense....let them mature some before even doing any protection work. Shape the grips, and wait some.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 08:36 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Those nice full calm grips come from prey and also the dog's desire to control the helper (which also comes from fight/aggression). The power and crushing grips come from aggression/fight as does the strong barking in the H&B and the guarding after the outs. There must be balance.

Jane, there are dogs with poor ball drive that have high hunt drive so both are not rooted the same way with prey drive. I have owned dogs with poor ball drive that have tremendous hunt drive. I have also owned dogs with extreme ball drive that had little real prey drive (a rabbit could run under their nose and they would just watch it) and not the greatest hunt drive.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 09:19 AM
Crowned Member

Coke has insane prey drive for actual prey but he won't ever play with me with toys of any kind. He has no interest in toys (other than shredding stuffies and occasionally tossing a tennis ball himself...he also has a very "soft" retriever mouth) but he is obsessed with actual prey. If he even thinks he sees a rabbit 50 feet away he will constantly check the same spot for several weeks. When we are on a walk he's always the first to spot a squirrel or rabbit. My GSDs might lock up or lunge if it darts away and is pretty close but otherwise they aren't obsessed with prey or I just say "no" and they leave it whereas Coke pulls and whimpers and locks in on it until he's finally convinced it's gone (which might take a block). He's caught prey animals before and the GSDs have not.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 09:27 AM
Crowned Member

I made a drawing for you. Anyone feel free to point out anything I left out. Its a decent start anyway.

Hunter, CWDC UScA Helper
Beschützer des Jägers v.d. Sportwaffen
Katya v. Hügelblick
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen
Arya v. Allrothaus
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 09:36 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

I disagree, and maybe I am misunderstanding what you mean, with your saying that a dog in active aggression (or fight) doesn't learn as easily. IMO the ability to learn and to listen is rooted elsewhere.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 09:54 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhczth View Post
I disagree, and maybe I am misunderstanding what you mean, with your saying that a dog in active aggression (or fight) doesn't learn as easily. IMO the ability to learn and to listen is rooted elsewhere.
Doesn't learn as easily as purely in prey drive, or in food drive. The addition of the stress from the elements of defensive drive cloud the dog's mind a bit. Think how difficult it would be to *teach* running blinds (or doing kung-fu) when the helper is being very aggressive from the hot blind with posture and whip or whatever (or when you're thrown directly into a fight). Sure you can get it taught there, but its infinitely easier to teach it in prey drive, separated from the protection piece, and then put them together (or learn Kung-fu first in a studio under no stress). Any form of stress retards learning.

Hunter, CWDC UScA Helper
Beschützer des Jägers v.d. Sportwaffen
Katya v. Hügelblick
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen
Arya v. Allrothaus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page