Giving a pup a good base for Schutzhund? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Giving a pup a good base for Schutzhund?

Hello all.

I'm having a bit of trouble getting the info I need for the pup we will be getting here in a couple of weeks.

My family and I began our search for a pup at the beginning of this year, and finally settled on a breeder in April. The pups of a couple different litters were born in May, and our pup will be ready to come home the first week of July. We are super excited.

I have a tendency to ramble a lot, so I'll try to keep this as brief as possible. I have extensive experience with GSDs, obedience, etc., but this will be my first Schutzhund dog. High Plains Schutzhund is about three hours from us and is the club I think I'd like to become involved with when our pup is ready for training, since I've heard many good things about them. However, because of the distance involved, and the fact that we only have one car, driving down there very often won't be feasible, which means I'll have to do as much of the work as I can at home.

I've contacted them by email, and they let me know when they have "open" days for visitors to come see them, and once we have our pup, I do plan on making a trip to do just that. However, I've asked multiple times what sorts of things I can do at home when we first get the pup to help get him ready for his future training, and I'm not getting ANY info, and I'm getting a bit frustrated. I'm not asking them to tell me extensively how to train, or anything. Just a few tips on making sure I don't inadvertently kill his drive, what sort of basic equipment (balls, tugs, etc.) I can use with him as a baby, etc. Every time I ask, the lady I speak with just tells me to get a flat collar and a leash. Well, no kidding.

I've seen videos, pictures, etc. of people working with pups to get them ready for Schutzhund, and I've seen things like balls attached to ropes that people have the pups jump up for (I'm assuming to improve the pup's grip) and other pieces of equipment of the like. I'd like to get a few things that might help, or at least get pointed in the right direction of what to do so I don't start our boy out wrong. For instance, the breeder told me that confinement will help develop drive, and teasing a LOT with a ball before throwing it will help do the same, so I'll use those tips for sure. I just don't know how MUCH to confine him, and I've also been told that sometimes, "pet" homes inadvertently kill the drive in a promising pup by treating the pup too much like ... well ... a pet. I don't want to make those mistakes, so I'm looking for some guidance, but I don't know where to get it.

Again, I'd like to make it clear I'm not looking for someone to give me extensive training "over the internet". I do know that I will need to be in close contact with the Schutzhund club when I begin training; however, I'm pretty sure that actual Schutzhund training doesn't begin at 8 weeks when I bring the pup home (even though I'll be starting basic obedience immediately, of course). I'm just wanting to know what types of equipment I'll need to start him right, along with the correct types of play to make sure I enhance his drive, and not kill it.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to get this information, or will I really need to get even such basic info in person from the Schutzhund club I join, rather than getting some tips via email before I'm able to make the long drive to visit them?

Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

Kaci

Last edited by kejhix; 06-12-2012 at 08:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 08:45 PM
Crowned Member

I would start with the book Purely Positive training by Sheila Booth. It has a great puppy foundation chapter, and then carries on to more SchH training.
A flirt pole with a burlap knotted rag attached is a great prey drive toy, so using one to wear out the pup is fun.
Scent boxes to develop the nose/search and then going with some short tracks can be done easily on your own.
This site has some good articles: Schutzhund Village
But really I think Sheila's book is excellent for starting a pup.
There may be someone that is in the club more local to you that can mentor you. Check w/ the training director and see if anyone is willing to meet up with you often. Protection work can wait, it is mostly the foundation of the obedience exercises and tracking that usually begins early on.
Congrats on your new pup, and your new addiction!!!

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 08:53 PM

Thanks Kaci (and Jane!) I had a very similar question I wanted to ask but I don't know that I could've phrased it as well as you.

We pick up our girl this weekend - super excited! Best of luck!

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 08:56 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kejhix View Post

I've seen videos, pictures, etc. of people working with pups to get them ready for Schutzhund, and I've seen things like balls attached to ropes that people have the pups jump up for (I'm assuming to improve the pup's grip) and other pieces of equipment of the like. I'd like to get a few things that might help, or at least get pointed in the right direction of what to do so I don't start our boy out wrong. For instance, the breeder told me that confinement will help develop drive, and teasing a LOT with a ball before throwing it will help do the same, so I'll use those tips for sure. I just don't know how MUCH to confine him, and I've also been told that sometimes, "pet" homes inadvertently kill the drive in a promising pup by treating the pup too much like ... well ... a pet. I don't want to make those mistakes, so I'm looking for some guidance, but I don't know where to get it.
Kaci
Confinement? Not. This is very old school thinking and went out a long time ago. Other than crate training for housebreaking and until he can be trusted loose in the house unattended, he doesn't need to be confined more than any other dog.

Your new pup is a pet that is going to do SchH and you should treat him like a pet. Think about it. What happens if you aren't able to do SchH with him for whatever reason? Are you going to kick him to the curb? No. He's going to still be the same great pet he was before. Besides, he's not a tool you put away when you aren't training, you want to play and bond with him, so he's a happy dog. Take him everywhere you can and have him meet as many different people as possible. About the only exception is that your average pet home doesn't have a clue about how to redirect and channel their pup's energy in a non-distructive fashion.

If you have experience in marker training and positive training methods, you should start to train the little guy in obedience from day one. This would include heel, sit, down, stand, come, and most important of all focus. In the beginning, it's all very fun, age appropriate, short sessions so he learns that training is fun and easy.

By all means get him some toys to play with: mostly to redirect his sharp little teeth from your tender skin. The ball on a string and tugs are not for the dog to jump up to get and to improve their bite, they are reward toys that you hold out for them to grab or you toss them. You can wiggle them or drag them on the ground to increase interest, but you don't have to tease him with it. It usually takes a while before the pup gets the hang of them and you will mostly be treat training in the very beginning.

You should get out to the club as soon as possible to get their advice on what they want you to do with your pup.

Elaine and the herd
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 09:05 PM
Crowned Member

The only things I could think of, Jane already said. Good luck and have fun with your puppy! Oh and congrats!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 09:13 PM
Crowned Member

For the balls & tugs I'd check out Hallmark K9 - Premium Dog Training Equipment - BALLS
Gappay Synthetic 2 handle tug 3x25cm
I never wanted to confine my pup for training purposes either, I wanted him with me all the time and he also was able to be with my other dogs.
Some people think this is detrimental for drives and training, but for me and my dog, it helped to keep him balanced. He needed that outlet of the other dogs to get out his energy and he has always been a happy, biddable dog with great recall.
Though now and then his obedience is a bit flat....I think crating him before training and keeping him away from my other dogs may have helped to bring up more enthusiasm.

I DO believe in crating the pup after a training(tracking too) session so the pup can process what just happened, not for long, maybe 15 minutes or so....just some downtime. I have a crate in my vehicle and that is where my pup went for this if it wasn't too hot, otherwise he was crated in the house for that time.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18

Last edited by onyx'girl; 06-12-2012 at 09:16 PM.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 10:11 PM
Elite Member

I wouldn't be discouraged by a lack of response about training questions via e-mails. So many people are "tire-kickers" and it gets discouraging to waste time on e-mails when the person never follows through. But I bet they'll be more helpful if you visit in person and show you're serious.
If the drive is there - you won't kill it with "novice" mistakes. If the temperament is more borderline you'll want to be more careful. With puppies, I redirect to toy or tug for biting, do a lot of positive shaping, and tease and build drive - but it's best to get someone to show you how to do this in person, it isn't as easy to do correctly as it looks!

Djenga von Castra Regina RL2 BH HIC TT

PAM ARCH SG Kessy vom Waldwinkel 2xHGH Schh1 OB2 RL1X RL3 RN TT AD

Madina vom Arolser Holz BH AD CGC
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 02:11 PM

When training in shutzhund the most important thing you can do for a puppy is socialize! Make sure you are bringing your puppy everywhere!! Do not let them have any bad experences. The reason we socialize is to build confidence.

Build prey drive. This is the first drive dogs begin their work in. You can build prey drive by playing with rags and tugs and praise and encourage the dog when he chases and bites at it. Make sure you start with no distractions. And keep your play sessions short, 30 seconds to 1 minute, then when the dog is still very interested in the rag, put it away. This will frustrate your pup and after a while he will begin to show more intensity with each play session. But remember, baby steps!! Rome wasn't built in a day!! Play with him in different places too, so he learns that when the rag is out that's the only thing he needs to care about!!

Do not do much obedience. Too much obedience will kill a dogs inner drive to bite, which is obviously important in shutzhund. I train my boy during meal times for 3 minutes, twice a day and that's it. Start with focus (we contact) as this will build a well focused dog when you start combining obedience and prey drive later on.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 03:15 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully vom boeselager View Post

Do not do much obedience. Too much obedience will kill a dogs inner drive to bite, which is obviously important in shutzhund. I train my boy during meal times for 3 minutes, twice a day and that's it. Start with focus (we contact) as this will build a well focused dog when you start combining obedience and prey drive later on.
I don't agree with this. The pup might be coming from schutzhund lines, but that doesn't mean that this particular pup will be schutzhund material. So if one slacks off on the obedience and ends up with a dog not qualified, the obedience part that could have been done months ago is now getting started much later. My dog has gone through several obedience classes and she did fine on her evaluation for schutzhund(she has no schutzhund lines in her per the trainer for schuthund). She was focused and treated it like a game, which in the end made it better for her.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 04:11 PM
Elite Member

My suggestion on things to have at home upon arrival is :
a leash and collar and a crate. In addition, a few few toys and of course the basics ....food dishes, food, etc. Remember you will go through potty training and teething.

IMHO, Your pup is a baby...and will need some obedience. It needs to be a puppy and pet as well. No matter what you decide to do with your puppy, Socialization is key and your family should all interact with the pup.

Crating them all of time to help for SchH training is something I've never heard of or done. As for the toys/ equipment to use for SchH training...you can get that down the road.

(After you join a club and start training they will help guide you more into what you'll need for the phases of SchH training.)

Please be aware that not all dogs are cut out for Schutzhund training ... Even with titled parents. Most of the SchH titled dogs I know make exceptional family members as well (pets).
There are several good forum remarks/suggestions already.

Hopefully you find a good trainer...and congratulations on your new pup!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page