Do you do muzzle work? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Do you do muzzle work?

(Just some thought provoking questions)

If so, why? And how often? What are your goals in doing muzzle work? What does a given dog show you that would make you believe muzzle work is a good or a bad training tool for that dog?

Hunter, CWDC UScA Helper
Beschützer des Jägers v.d. Sportwaffen
Katya v. Hügelblick
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen
Arya v. Allrothaus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 05:56 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterisgreat View Post
(Just some thought provoking questions)

If so, why? And how often? What are your goals in doing muzzle work? What does a given dog show you that would make you believe muzzle work is a good or a bad training tool for that dog?
I am anxious to see what other post. I have a muzzle and would like to do muzzle work. However I am new this and I'm not really sure how to answer your questions.

To my understanding, it is used to bring out aggression or build confidence depending on how it is used. Again this is all ignorance talking so.....
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycobraracr View Post
I am anxious to see what other post. I have a muzzle and would like to do muzzle work. However I am new this and I'm not really sure how to answer your questions.

To my understanding, it is used to bring out aggression or build confidence depending on how it is used. Again this is all ignorance talking so.....
Its got many uses... proofing, building frustration, for some dogs I suppose more confidence, for some higher aggression. For some who's prey drive is so stupidly high that working in aggression is much harder I'd reason getting the sleeve or other bite object out of the picture facilitates aggression. like you said, depends on how its being used. What kind of muzzle do you have? Custom made? Like it?

Hunter, CWDC UScA Helper
Katya v. Hügelblick
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen
Arya v. Allrothaus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 06:25 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Its got many uses... proofing, building frustration, for some dogs I suppose more confidence, for some higher aggression. For some who's prey drive is so stupidly high that working in aggression is much harder I'd reason getting the sleeve or other bite object out of the picture facilitates aggression. like you said, depends on how its being used. What kind of muzzle do you have? Custom made? Like it?
I have a redline agitation muzzle. Other than putting it on my dog so she gets used to it I have not used it (she's only 9 months old). It is steel reinforced and padded on the inside. My dog got used to it rather quickly so I would guess that's it's fairly comfortable.
Leather Police Dog Agitation Muzzle

I have only seen muzzle work done once by my trainer on a PPD. On that dog is was used to bring out more defense. It seemed to work plus really tick the dog off. He went after the helper hard!

I have also been told it can be used to teach a dog to use it's body rather than just bite to take someone down. I think there are so many uses for it that it really just depends on what the dog is being used for and the dog itself.

Sorry I know I am no help to this conversation.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
I have a redline agitation muzzle. Other than putting it on my dog so she gets used to it I have not used it (she's only 9 months old). It is steel reinforced and padded on the inside. My dog got used to it rather quickly so I would guess that's it's fairly comfortable.
Leather Police Dog Agitation Muzzle

I have only seen muzzle work done once by my trainer on a PPD. On that dog is was used to bring out more defense. It seemed to work plus really tick the dog off. He went after the helper hard!

I have also been told it can be used to teach a dog to use it's body rather than just bite to take someone down. I think there are so many uses for it that it really just depends on what the dog is being used for and the dog itself.

Sorry I know I am no help to this conversation.
Oh, this was meant more as a general discussion, poll of opinion, etc. In that regard you are being very helpful

How exactly was he working the dog? Bringing out aggression or defense? I ask to make sure we mean the same things with given words, and everyone has their own meaning in the discussion of drives.

Do you feel it is of use for a "sport dog"? What made you get an agitation muzzle?

Hunter, CWDC UScA Helper
Katya v. Hügelblick
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen
Arya v. Allrothaus
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 07:18 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Oh, this was meant more as a general discussion, poll of opinion, etc. In that regard you are being very helpful

How exactly was he working the dog? Bringing out aggression or defense? I ask to make sure we mean the same things with given words, and everyone has their own meaning in the discussion of drives.

Do you feel it is of use for a "sport dog"? What made you get an agitation muzzle?
Sorry for my mix up. Yes the end result was agression. From the helpers stand point it started out just like bringing out defense in the dog in his posture and movements. He was also "reving up" the dog. I am going just off memory here and I had just gotten into the protection stuff so I was/am not 100% sure of what I was seeing.

Honestly I got an agitation muzzle for a couple reasons. 1) I thought it was cool and had to have one haha. 2) I am a practical applications guy. Meaning I am in an IPO club, but if the situation were to ever come up I want my dog capable and trained to bite for real. I am interested in all the protection sports, however if I have to sacrifice points in order to have my dog do it for real so be it. That being said I'm still not sure if my dog really has the temperment for that so we will see with time.

I do think it can be used for sport. I hate to keep repeating it, but again it depends on the way it's used.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 07:35 PM
Master Member

I have only seen our trainer use it once and it was on PPD to see if it would go for someone OUT of the bitework gear and in plain clothes when asked to . This dog in particular did try her darndest was not happy that she had a muzzle on!

Wendy
Dooney Von Pell- GSD 01/25/2011
Karma's Wycked Revenge- GSD 05/16/2012
Skye- WGSD 1991-2007
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Sorry for my mix up. Yes the end result was agression. From the helpers stand point it started out just like bringing out defense in the dog in his posture and movements. He was also "reving up" the dog. I am going just off memory here and I had just gotten into the protection stuff so I was/am not 100% sure of what I was seeing.

Honestly I got an agitation muzzle for a couple reasons. 1) I thought it was cool and had to have one haha. 2) I am a practical applications guy. Meaning I am in an IPO club, but if the situation were to ever come up I want my dog capable and trained to bite for real. I am interested in all the protection sports, however if I have to sacrifice points in order to have my dog do it for real so be it. That being said I'm still not sure if my dog really has the temperment for that so we will see with time.

I do think it can be used for sport. I hate to keep repeating it, but again it depends on the way it's used.
I'm the same way. I want my dogs to "be real" in all the work, not just doing crap to get their toy/bite.

Why do you say that about your dog? What do you view as proper temperament for it?

Hunter, CWDC UScA Helper
Katya v. Hügelblick
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen
Arya v. Allrothaus
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooney's Mom View Post
I have only seen our trainer use it once and it was on PPD to see if it would go for someone OUT of the bitework gear and in plain clothes when asked to . This dog in particular did try her darndest was not happy that she had a muzzle on!
I would *think* a PPD would already be accustomed to muzzle work, suit work, etc. A dog trained only one sleeves, that doesn't even hesitate to bite "for real", is a rare thing I think

Hunter, CWDC UScA Helper
Katya v. Hügelblick
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen
Arya v. Allrothaus
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 09:21 PM
Master Member

Quote:
I would *think* a PPD would already be accustomed to muzzle work, suit work, etc. A dog trained only one sleeves, that doesn't even hesitate to bite "for real", is a rare thing I think
He does use the bite suits as well..

Wendy
Dooney Von Pell- GSD 01/25/2011
Karma's Wycked Revenge- GSD 05/16/2012
Skye- WGSD 1991-2007
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page