Just started Schutzhund - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Just started Schutzhund

So I found a trainer to start Schutzhund training so far it has been 2 weeks of training and wow what an approvement. I have had a hard time with distractions with him and getting him to focus on me instead of his surroundings. But he has improved since the first time we went out to the field. He is starting to hold the bite toy (not sure what to exactly call it) after he gets and he runs with it in his mouth now too. I have never done schutzhund before and this is my first GSD so it is all new to me but I'm having a blast with it and will continue it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 04:50 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherbear View Post
So I found a trainer to start Schutzhund training so far it has been 2 weeks of training and wow what an approvement. I have had a hard time with distractions with him and getting him to focus on me instead of his surroundings. But he has improved since the first time we went out to the field. He is starting to hold the bite toy (not sure what to exactly call it) after he gets and he runs with it in his mouth now too. I have never done schutzhund before and this is my first GSD so it is all new to me but I'm having a blast with it and will continue it.
Oh its addicting for sure! Where in Florida are you at? Dooney is greatly improved as well.

Wendy
Dooney Von Pell- GSD 01/25/2011
Karma's Wycked Revenge- GSD 05/16/2012
Skye- WGSD 1991-2007
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 07:04 PM
Knighted Member

I agree, it's extremely addicting!!

Welcome to the forum and to Schutzhund! I know my male, Duke, has gained a lot from training! He's a completely different dog now! Glad you are having fun and enjoying it! It's a long road of training with many ups and downs, but definitely worth it!

Good luck with you pup and training!

Alyssa
-Zira (01/09/11)
-Pakros von Jagenstadt "Duke" (01/06/10) -CGC
-Storm vom EnZ (05/16/12)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 07:20 PM
Crowned Member

Welcome to the addiction!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. @Dooney's Mom I am in St Petersburg but I am training out in New Port Richey. Are you part of the Tampa Bay Working Dog club?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 10:00 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Thanks. @Dooney's Mom I am in St Petersburg but I am training out in New Port Richey. Are you part of the Tampa Bay Working Dog club?

Other side of the state- I am in Deland/Deltona- we train near Oviedo (trickyshepherd and I ) not with a club, just a trainer, but a darn good one

Wendy
Skye- WGSD 1991-2007
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

Oh opps I was thinking it was closer outside of tampa somewhere. Ahh ok I know Oviedo is. Yea I first went out to the club but someone there referred me to a private trainer out in New Port Richey and I am very pleased with him. She spoke very highly of him. I go out on Tuesday nights so that is now my favorite day of the week.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 10:57 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Oh opps I was thinking it was closer outside of tampa somewhere. Ahh ok I know Oviedo is. Yea I first went out to the club but someone there referred me to a private trainer out in New Port Richey and I am very pleased with him. She spoke very highly of him. I go out on Tuesday nights so that is now my favorite day of the week.
Sunday is our favorite day!

I enjoy being with a private trainer. Our group is very friendly and family like. I really enjoy it, we have a blast out there. Definitely plan on staying with them for as long as they are there!

Alyssa
-Zira (01/09/11)
-Pakros von Jagenstadt "Duke" (01/06/10) -CGC
-Storm vom EnZ (05/16/12)
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 07:38 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickyShepherd View Post
Sunday is our favorite day!

I enjoy being with a private trainer. Our group is very friendly and family like. I really enjoy it, we have a blast out there. Definitely plan on staying with them for as long as they are there!
yes on Saturdays I am like a little kid the night before Christmas- LOL. I get the car packed up and everything ready to go for the mornings. Glad ours is on a weekend- Yesterday we were there from 9am until 3 pm- it was awesome!!

Wendy
Skye- WGSD 1991-2007
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 07:58 PM
Crowned Member

Get out while you can! Its highly addictive, highly expensive, there aren't any effective ways to kick the habit that I know of, eats time up like you wouldn't believe, and you'll spend enough time behind the wheel transiting from place to place that you'll get a bit looney. It also has a negative effect on the social life. Last thursday I stopped training at 2:30AM. I had to work at 6AM. You also keep getting more dogs. Sooner or later I'll have to start a legal kennel or risk being labeled a hoarder

Hunter, CWDC UScA Helper
Beschützer des Jägers v.d. Sportwaffen
Katya v. Hügelblick
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen
Arya v. Allrothaus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page