Puppy Obedience video! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Puppy Obedience video!

My little buddy is about 8.5 months.. I train with verbal markers and a lot of free shaping & have very specific expectations of our obedience picture, so I will not be rushing his foundation

He does OB for food every day, usually inside vs. out, and our "heeling" (10 steps at most) is always against a wall, and it's evident in this video that he's not really ready to move away from that yet! Also just started introducing toy rewards very seldomly.. probably for every 10 sessions we do with food, I'll do one with toys.

I am so happy with him so far, he is going to be a handful

Brix - foundation obedience - 6.6.2012 - YouTube

Cruiser ~ Brix ~ Ferra ~ Ginte ~ Bacardi
Kira ~ Gitta ~ Maik ~ Amalka ~ Hety ~ Taz
Rudy ~ Ari ~ Dami

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 02:31 PM
Crowned Member

He's a handsome little guy! And thats one of my favorite songs He looks like he's a lot of fun to train with.

Feuergarten German Shepherds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 09:25 PM
Crowned Member

He's really snappy! Very willing worker, I bet he's fun to train

Can I make one suggestion/observation? It looks like a lot of the time he's getting rewarded out of position. When he does the front position and holds it or moves with you (staying in front), he gets a reward after he breaks position and not in the front position. When he did the nice down out of motion instead of a reward in the down he broke to come get the reward. A few times in the heeling he jumped forward and flipped around to get the reward. It just came to mind because with Nikon I have made a lot of mistakes in obedience and one of the most major ones has been rewarding him out of position. Even though he understands marker training and gets marked *in* position, the rewarding out of position has caused problems with his heeling position and anticipation. With Pan I've been much more careful about rewarding *in* the position I want (basic, front, sit, down, etc) even if it means going back to the dog and moving away a few times, and then I sometimes also mark and reward after the release word to train the release word.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 09:43 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
Can I make one suggestion/observation? It looks like a lot of the time he's getting rewarded out of position.
That's what I saw as well....been there, done that, I've learned to be careful about exactly where the dog receives the reward!

He looks like a very nice youngster!

--Regina and the GSDs:
UCDX von Sontausen Holy Grail (The BUNNY!) HGH, UD,RA,BN,GN, ASCA UD RAX High in Trial
PAM Monster Mike SchH2,UDX,OM1,TD,RE,VER
PAM FGDCh Ianna von Sontausen UDX,BH,TD,RE,PT (4.26.1998 - 2.11.2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page