how much? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

how much?

im sure this has been posted before, but here it goes. How expensive is it to join a schutzhund club? I have my dog in obedience class and that is $145 for 6 weeks, do you pay monthly dues? and how often do you go for training. i know it takes years of training, and that must cost quite a sum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 11:23 PM
Crowned Member

Depends on the club. I've been to several clubs in my area and on the high end it was $100/mo and the low end was $200/yr total.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 11:25 PM
Crowned Member

Seems the average in my area is $300-$400 a year.

Feuergarten German Shepherds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 11:31 PM
Elite Member

What do you get with this fee? Is it training space? Member support?
What kind of training support do you receive? Is it more of a get together "study group" kind of atmosphere? Or is it closer to a formal learning environment?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-Adventures and Dog Product Reviews-
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 11:41 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshies View Post
What kind of training support do you receive? Is it more of a get together "study group" kind of atmosphere? Or is it closer to a formal learning environment?
That also depends on the club. Some are very regimented and formal and some are more laid back. Mostly what you are paying for is the access to the place to train and the equipment.(meaning none of the helpers or the TD or anyone is paid to be there) The training director usually sets the tone for the club. They will spend time with you and the experienced members will also pitch in to get you trained but they also expect you to work at the skills and learning about the sport. When we get someone who just stands there and expects us to hold their hand for every little thing we know they won't last long. We want new members to pay attention, ask questions (but don't ask them when people are on the field or obviously working at something). We had a newb not too long ago who came out for a while, even after a few months she hadn't bothered to really learn anything and would even yell to me while I was on the field working my dog to ask when it would be her turn!
If members want more one on one time then they can pay for private lessons or meet up with other members to work on tracking or obedience, whatever.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 11:45 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Depends on the club. I was paying a different club pretty much for space and equipment twice a week for the better part of two years. There wasn't much guidance and I was kind of on my own. I went to a different club this year and not only do I get space and equipment, I get an unbelievable amount of guidance and unconditional support whenever I need it. It's like "on-call" training. Formal training at our field/building is twice a week, but there are also 4 other days out of the week that members will get together to go tracking. I can call the president and other members whenever I need anything. We go on trips to other dog (and non-dog) events together. They are my best friends. They are the dog people who understand everything about me.

Just the other day, my dog injured all four of his feet. He collapsed on my front lawn and there was blood everywhere so of course I was hysterical. The first person I called was my club president. She was there to tell me exactly how to handle it. They are the people that can calm me down when I need it and help me think rationally and not over-react. I really think that the relationship that I have with my club is priceless, but I would pay more if necessary to have what I do with this group of people.

Feuergarten German Shepherds

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 11:50 PM
Elite Member

Thanks for the responses guys!

-Adventures and Dog Product Reviews-
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 01:06 AM
Knighted Member

Where I train, it's $100 a month. Once Duke gets to the sleeve (if he ever does!), That will change to $140.

Since it's a more private training group, not really a 'club'... we don't have any other fees. We pay weekly.

Alyssa
-Zira (01/09/11)
-Pakros von Jagenstadt "Duke" (01/06/10) -CGC
-Storm vom EnZ (05/16/12)
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 08:31 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
The club dues usually cover insurance, utilities, cost to maintain the field, cost of equipment, and covering events like trials and seminars (it is not cheap to fly judges in and put them up). Sometimes the helpers and/or TDs get paid but that's usually more of a pay-to-play group and not an affiliated club.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 09:08 AM
Crowned Member

I was in a club with $200 a year annual dues(along with a registration fee) But the helper worked for 'tips' and I paid him $25-30 each time depending on one or two rounds of protection. We seldom tracked together, which as a newbie, I needed some direction with(didn't get).
We also paid 5 bucks per session to use a building in the winter months.
Second group(not a club) was $100 per month all going to the helper/TD, nothing of it was for group, but helper provided equipment. We paid again, 5 bucks per session to train in a building in winter months.
The club I'm in now is $150 annually with $50 every quarter. Club supplies helper & field equipment. We train once per week.
Where ever I've went, it is up to me to work on ob,tracking on my own.
I'd like to be local enough to a club that trains a few days per week together.

The pay-to-plays usually have many different people showing up to train, often just for the protection phase, and there are several different days to choose to train. The person getting paid usually is doing this as their income source. I have no problem with that at all, but would rather be with a core group of people training together, with more of a 'club' atmosphere.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page