Intimidate...wait...attack - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 02:01 AM Thread Starter

Intimidate...wait...attack

Hello... I'm new to Schutzhund and I'm doing the training myself. I have a 5 month old male German Shepherd who is amazingly intelligent. He is my first GSD after having several flavors of Labrador. The GSD is light years ahead of any dog I've had in the past. My Lab is as dumb as a box or rocks compared to my GSD. Training is going well, but I do have a question on an exercise. I'm not sure what its called, but it goes like this: the dog is released, the dog runs up to the decoy and barks at him but does not attack, when the decoy makes a threatening move the dog attacks without further command. I want to say it's called "Bark and Hold", but I'm not sure. Can anyone help?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 09:03 AM
Banned

Yes it's called a Bark and Hold.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 09:05 AM
Elite Member

A very useful exercise to say the least.
So why are you doing the training yourself, is there not a club nearby?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 09:10 AM
Crowned Member

If you don't know what you are doing, it might not be a good idea to train Schutzhund yourself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Norden von Narnia (Hans) DOB 1-15-12

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rolf, German import DOB 6-7-2019
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast View Post
Yes it's called a Bark and Hold.
Thanks!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 06:58 PM
Knighted Member

Yeah, bad idea to train Schutzhund by yourself... especially if you are new to the sport and the breed.

Just remember, if you do not have the experience and knowledge on how to shape a dog for protection work in Schutzhund, you are potentially creating a liability and danger to the public.

SG S-Hunter vom Geistwasser CA CGN TT ATD (Service Dog, Retired Airport Wildlife Control K9)
Zenna vom Geistwasser NTD

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 10:05 PM
Master Member

You might be able to pull off the OB training by yourself, but not the protection aspect of it, you can't be your own decoy/agitator and you don't really want your "friends" being the one your dog "attacks"

It is called the bite and hold btw

Wendy
Dooney Von Pell- GSD 01/25/2011
Karma's Wycked Revenge- GSD 05/16/2012
Skye- WGSD 1991-2007
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 10:13 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooney's Mom View Post
You might be able to pull off the OB training by yourself, but not the protection aspect of it, you can't be your own decoy/agitator and you don't really want your "friends" being the one your dog "attacks"

It is called the bite and hold btw
NO, it is 'bark and hold'/ or 'hold and bark'...the dog doesn't get to bite until the command or if the helper breaks. That is why control work is so important.
http://www.schutzhundvillage.com/hb.html

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18

Last edited by onyx'girl; 05-31-2012 at 10:17 PM. Reason: added link
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 09:21 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
NO, it is 'bark and hold'/ or 'hold and bark'...the dog doesn't get to bite until the command or if the helper breaks. That is why control work is so important.
Schutzhund Village
crap that's what I meant-thanks for catching that and correcting it- I should not respond when I am dead tired.

Wendy
Dooney Von Pell- GSD 01/25/2011
Karma's Wycked Revenge- GSD 05/16/2012
Skye- WGSD 1991-2007
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Wolf View Post
Yeah, bad idea to train Schutzhund by yourself... especially if you are new to the sport and the breed.

Just remember, if you do not have the experience and knowledge on how to shape a dog for protection work in Schutzhund, you are potentially creating a liability and danger to the public.
Or more likely will ruin the dog as a schutzhund dog. Obedience & tracking, 100% can be done by yourself. Preliminary bitework like tug playing/teasing can be done at home also but the for the rest you need an experienced decoy and trainer. I know because I'm right there. My dog has passed BH/AD, is very good at obedience and tracking, IPO-2 level or better (100% trained by me) but is just beginning at bite work because of limited time/access to decoy/trainer and I refuse to attempt to train bite work by myself.

Last edited by pfitzpa1; 06-03-2012 at 12:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page