Knew this day would come... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Knew this day would come...

Duke and I had a very 'off' day today at training. We still had fun, but it was not as productive as the past weeks (no where near Friday with OB). After everything going so well each week. I KNEW we were in for a day like this. He kept me up all night... anxious. Woke me up at 6am to "play". Ugh. So needless to say... we were BOTH tired today. I also got my first injury while doing bite work. Nope, didn't get bit.... he pulled extremely hard on the harness and my left foot got into a little dip in the grass and I twisted my ankle. OUCH! It hurts pretty bad. It happens though... all part of the sport! Just have to suck it up and put ice on it. Training still continued after like normal.

He did ok at Obedience, but was really distracted by everything. More then usual. He didn't fuss very well, and he could care less about doing more then he had to. It wasn't terrible... still better then we were. But, he was definitely in a blah! mood today. Hoping for a that "oomph!" again next week!

Protection went better. He was doing very well. Having a hard time transitioning to the pillow and the sleeve though. He's still on the tug. We are hoping to start the transition next week. My trainer said he was biting harder and more solid though... so that's a step up. He didn't re-bite or loosen his grip. I am very happy with that.

Overall, we still have a lot of fun and enjoyed our Sunday "doggy day". He's tired as usually.. and I'm ready to fall over... with some ice on my ankle of course! lol! Any step forward is good enough for me! Still very proud of him!

I'll post some video clips and pictures soon. Lauren(Alexandria610), came out with us today and got some amazing pictures.... Can't wait to get them!

Alyssa
-Zira (01/09/11)
-Pakros von Jagenstadt "Duke" (01/06/10) -CGC
-Storm vom EnZ (05/16/12)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 05:49 PM
Crowned Member

Unfortunately, there will be plenty more off days where that came from. That's what makes it all worth while though. When you get to the point after you've had a series of consecutive troubles with your dog, and then one day it snaps into place. I actually just designed a Schutzhund tshirt for our club with the saying "The journey is the reward." I strongly believe that..

I'm with you in the sense that we both got our dogs when they were older and hadn't been started with any foundation work in the sport. Fortunately, we got lucky in the fact that they enjoy doing it, though maybe not as much as we do! I am going to try for our IPO1 in two weeks and I'm already shaking and hysterical just thinking about it. It's just something that I never expected to do with this dog, and to finally be to that point where I'm comfortable saying that we have a good shot at this title, is just mind blowing to me.

Just take it all in. I think the best lessons that I've learned in my first two years of training are to enjoy your dog, celebrate the small victories, and have fun! They can have "bad days" too. I know that I do probably more frequently than I'd like to admit..I had to learn no to be so hard on him or myself. We are both learning this together. Just don't sweat it! Seriously, I'm sure he did better than you think he did. I always say "He had a crappy routine" and I get a few club members who chime in saying that he really didn't look that bad to them at all. I'm very critical and it's something that I'm just learning to control.

Looking forward to the pics and videos!

Feuergarten German Shepherds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDog View Post
Unfortunately, there will be plenty more off days where that came from. That's what makes it all worth while though. When you get to the point after you've had a series of consecutive troubles with your dog, and then one day it snaps into place. I actually just designed a Schutzhund tshirt for our club with the saying "The journey is the reward." I strongly believe that..

I'm with you in the sense that we both got our dogs when they were older and hadn't been started with any foundation work in the sport. Fortunately, we got lucky in the fact that they enjoy doing it, though maybe not as much as we do! I am going to try for our IPO1 in two weeks and I'm already shaking and hysterical just thinking about it. It's just something that I never expected to do with this dog, and to finally be to that point where I'm comfortable saying that we have a good shot at this title, is just mind blowing to me.

Just take it all in. I think the best lessons that I've learned in my first two years of training are to enjoy your dog, celebrate the small victories, and have fun! They can have "bad days" too. I know that I do probably more frequently than I'd like to admit..I had to learn no to be so hard on him or myself. We are both learning this together. Just don't sweat it! Seriously, I'm sure he did better than you think he did. I always say "He had a crappy routine" and I get a few club members who chime in saying that he really didn't look that bad to them at all. I'm very critical and it's something that I'm just learning to control.

Looking forward to the pics and videos!
Exactly. Working with horses my whole life has taught me just that. There will be good days, but with that also comes bad days, and some really really stink! The animals can have off/bad days too. This was certainly one for Duke. He still had fun and still did well.... just not as focused as he's been.

As long as he's happy and we are having fun.... I don't mind days like this. It's all a learning experience. I also trust my trainer when he says "don't worry... you'll get there". We're in no rush, and I just have to remind myself that. In time, it will happen. It is harder working with an older dog, but at the same time... I think it's taught me even more then if I had started a puppy! So for that... I am thankful!

We are reaching for our BH title later this year. I look forward to this journey with him! I've learned so much in the past 7 weeks... it's exciting!

Good luck with the IPO titles! I'm sure Aiden will do just fine! He's looking good in all the videos you've posted!

Alyssa
-Zira (01/09/11)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 07:42 PM
Crowned Member

You need to have those bad days to learn more about your dog. I have many of them!
Yesterday at training, I was running backwards trying to get Karlo to follow me. We were at the pond, I wanted him to swim, I fell into a hole(I knew it was there and stupidly forgot!) and twisted my ankle/foot too.
I gimped around after that for the two rounds of protection, but Karlo did very well!
Today I can't walk, and it hurts bigtime.

I find the inconsistency in our tracking phase more than the ob or protection. Never a dull moment and I'm always learning more about my dog.
Alexis, good luck w/ your IPO! I'm sure you'll do great!!!

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 07:48 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickyShepherd View Post
Duke and I had a very 'off' day today at training. We still had fun, but it was not as productive as the past weeks (no where near Friday with OB). After everything going so well each week. I KNEW we were in for a day like this. He kept me up all night... anxious. Woke me up at 6am to "play". Ugh. So needless to say... we were BOTH tired today. I also got my first injury while doing bite work. Nope, didn't get bit.... he pulled extremely hard on the harness and my left foot got into a little dip in the grass and I twisted my ankle. OUCH! It hurts pretty bad. It happens though... all part of the sport! Just have to suck it up and put ice on it. Training still continued after like normal.

He did ok at Obedience, but was really distracted by everything. More then usual. He didn't fuss very well, and he could care less about doing more then he had to. It wasn't terrible... still better then we were. But, he was definitely in a blah! mood today. Hoping for a that "oomph!" again next week!

Protection went better. He was doing very well. Having a hard time transitioning to the pillow and the sleeve though. He's still on the tug. We are hoping to start the transition next week. My trainer said he was biting harder and more solid though... so that's a step up. He didn't re-bite or loosen his grip. I am very happy with that.

Overall, we still have a lot of fun and enjoyed our Sunday "doggy day". He's tired as usually.. and I'm ready to fall over... with some ice on my ankle of course! lol! Any step forward is good enough for me! Still very proud of him!

I'll post some video clips and pictures soon. Lauren(Alexandria610), came out with us today and got some amazing pictures.... Can't wait to get them!
Bout time your boy had a bad day after Dooney has had like 3 bad days in a row (darn antibiotics)!! It really wasn't that bad of a day but I know you are disappointed! It is so much fun learning together!!! and sharing equipment Ed said something about going back to the leather collar, so I may need to borrow yours next week

Wendy
Dooney Von Pell- GSD 01/25/2011
Karma's Wycked Revenge- GSD 05/16/2012
Skye- WGSD 1991-2007
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 07:50 PM
Crowned Member

Katya tried to go over the a-frame a second time when we were leaving the retrieves during our OB routine at the trial yesterday. She also required a second out after the courage test. She has refused to out only one other time in her life! (which was Thursday). They'll always keep you on your toes

Hunter, CWDC UScA Helper
Beschützer des Jägers v.d. Sportwaffen
Katya v. Hügelblick
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen
Arya v. Allrothaus
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
You need to have those bad days to learn more about your dog. I have many of them!
Yesterday at training, I was running backwards trying to get Karlo to follow me. We were at the pond, I wanted him to swim, I fell into a hole(I knew it was there and stupidly forgot!) and twisted my ankle/foot too.
I gimped around after that for the two rounds of protection, but Karlo did very well!
Today I can't walk, and it hurts bigtime.

I find the inconsistency in our tracking phase more than the ob or protection. Never a dull moment and I'm always learning more about my dog.
Alexis, good luck w/ your IPO! I'm sure you'll do great!!!
Glad I am not the only one who finds the random holes in the field! lol! My ankle does hurt pretty bad. With some Ibuprofen, ice, and the couch... It'll be fine.

I'm glad he does have bad days... because that just shows we have a lot to learn and also how far we have come already. Today was an off day for us... but, it was a million times better then we were weeks ago! When we started training, I would have died to have a training session like we did today! And like you said.... it's definitely a lesson on understanding your dog. Because of this... I don't mind. I knew it was coming, and I just look at it like yet, another learning experience. My trainer was still very impressed with him... so I'm not concerned.

Alyssa
-Zira (01/09/11)
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooney's Mom View Post
Bout time your boy had a bad day after Dooney has had like 3 bad days in a row (darn antibiotics)!! It really wasn't that bad of a day but I know you are disappointed! It is so much fun learning together!!! and sharing equipment Ed said something about going back to the leather collar, so I may need to borrow yours next week
Lol! Yeah, I knew our time was coming! It was our turn. I don't mind it. I still had fun!

And I agree... it's nice being able to train together! I'm so happy we found a place where we can both go! It's been a blast so far! The sharing equipment is also nice! LOL! Get to try things out before hand!

You are always welcome to use whatever you need. Just remind me to take it off of Duke before you go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterisgreat View Post
Katya tried to go over the a-frame a second time when we were leaving the retrieves during our OB routine at the trial yesterday. She also required a second out after the courage test. She has refused to out only one other time in her life! (which was Thursday). They'll always keep you on your toes
Oh yeah, they sure do! I know it will even be worse once we start doing more and actually start going to trials! From my experience with the horses... showing is where everything liked to come out! lol! The horse that never refused a jump would stop dead and throw the rider.... the horse that never acted out, would go rodeo style in about 2 seconds after entering the arena.... and the horse that never had health issues, would go lame or colic. It never failed! But... you live... you learn. Honestly, I learned a lot more then about my horses during that.... I also learned a lot about patience, and taking the loss. Unfortunately we are all living beings, can't always win.

So, although this wasn't our best day... it wasn't pointless or negative.... we just learned a different lesson today.

Alyssa
-Zira (01/09/11)
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 08:23 PM
Crowned Member

I had kinda the opposite day today. I almost didn't take Nikon to Schutzhund because he is sick and doesn't like to work hard in the heat/humidity, especially when it comes on so fast and he's not used to it yet. I took him to training not expecting much, in fact I intended to pull him from protection. He tracked someone else's track for the first time in his life and hit all the turns and articles (we're going a TR2 in two weeks and this is the first time he's tracked at all in about three months!). He did two short rounds of protection and they were probably two of his best rounds in the past year. Glad I didn't leave him home, he proved me wrong today!
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Here's the pictures!

Thanks to Lauren (Alexandria610), we got some amazing pictures today!!

Here they are:

-Obedience

-Protection

...More coming...

Alyssa
-Zira (01/09/11)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page