Tracking Trials - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Tracking Trials

Ari and I have been working hard on tracking. Working through issues with calm, patience, and focus......
Well, this morning I go out and lay a track in the park near my house. Wet and icky as it rained all weekend. Noone about.

Go back home, get Ari and head over to the park. I notice there are some "guests of the state" on trash patrol when we return. But they are on the other side of the park.... all my flags are still out, so we proceed.

First leg, article is a plastic milkjug top. Indicate and keep going. Next leg, article is a business card... indicate and keep going.

Last leg, and end of the track article, is my glove. A rather nice glove. GONE! The trashy articles had been left behind, but the trash picker-uppers took my bloody glove!

So, other than venting, my purpose here is to ask,.....
If you mark the end of your tracks with an article, and you get there and the article is gone, What do you do?

I ended up putting him in a down, tossing one of my previous articles on the track ahead of him, then restart and indicate/end on that.
It was a bit confusing, but the best I could do at the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 10:09 AM
Crowned Member

That's what I would have done.
Why couldn't it have been the milk jug cap they picked up??

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 10:45 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

ROFL!! I would have done the same. I had crows pick up and move my articles once. Luckily they only moved them slightly off the track, but it sure confused my dog.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Jane, I don't know. I mean come ON.... picking up trash, but leave the trash behind???? Maybe the guy needed a glove for something.

Lisa.... it was confusing. He started sniffing around where the article was, and where the guy had been walking obviously. Poor dog did not need any confusion like that on the track!

But you know, they must have walked all over it, and he still tracked it nicely, so there is that.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 11:32 AM
Crowned Member

Pfffff, At least the "guests of the state" DQ, since they marked only one article!!

Diabla Boroluz, my Daemon; IPO-A1, RH-T A
Akela de Poputchik, my Direwolf; IPO-2, Kkl1
Calais vom Adler Stein; IPO-A1, Kkl1
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 12:31 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Stuff happens at times on tracks. I laid a track, drove up to get my dog and when I came back I saw coyote running away from the track. They had eaten most of the bait off of a couple of legs. One of the best tracks Tara ever did. The food scent and the smell of coyote made her VERY intense.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I have been annoying Anne a lot for input on tracking. One of the things I noticed is that in all of the tracks I have videoed and taken notes of, things are not nearly as quiet and "undistracting" as I thought.
Cars/Semis going by, huge city tractors mowing, houses with people and dogs, runners/joggers on a path, and now "assistant cross-track layers and article removers."

I guess this particular instance reminds me to
1. ALWAYS have an extra article and
2. never just quit walking the track at the last article, but keep walking out so that if I need to replace an article at the end, I have room to do so.

The problem here was that I got a bit flustered, and then I had only walked out another 5-10 feet from the last article, so there was not much room to down him, throw out my replacement and then restart him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page