4th Training day.((pic heavy)) - German Shepherd Dog Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Master Member
 
Dooney's Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Deland, Fl
Posts: 860
4th Training day.((pic heavy))

Here are some pics of Dooney (courtesy of TrickyShepherd) in class today.

This one is my favorite











Wendy
Dooney Von Pell- GSD 01/25/2011
Karma's Wycked Revenge- GSD 05/16/2012
Skye- WGSD 1991-2007
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dooney's Mom is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 10:40 PM
Knighted Member
 
TrickyShepherd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 2,429
I LOVE the first one there! I was so excited to see how that one looked on the computer! She looks like a psychotic demon dog!!!

Alyssa
-Zira (01/09/11)
-Pakros von Jagenstadt "Duke" (01/06/10) -CGC
-Storm vom EnZ (05/16/12)
TrickyShepherd is offline  
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Master Member
 
Dooney's Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Deland, Fl
Posts: 860
Oh yes she does.

A little advice please? How can I get her drive up for the tug? She is still more interested in going after the poor decoy than the tug toy- she won't "hold" on to the tug she bites it grabs it then drops it and goes after him again. I have a tug at home we play with- she is more interested in getting it from me and playing chase, she does love to tug with me.. The first class we did bitework in, I didn't have her crated until right when bite work started, then I crated her. They have had me crating her since then- I thinks she "burns" our before we get to bitework cuase she has a tad bit of SA and barks almost the whole time she is in the car. We just started working with an E Collar today as well.

Thanks !

Wendy
Dooney Von Pell- GSD 01/25/2011
Karma's Wycked Revenge- GSD 05/16/2012
Skye- WGSD 1991-2007
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dooney's Mom is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 10:54 PM
Crowned Member
 
Daisy&Lucky's Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 7,820
Sounds like she had a great time. Dooney looks fierce!
Daisy&Lucky's Mom is offline  
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 11:24 PM
Crowned Member
 
mycobraracr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 3,911
Beautiful! You both take some great pics.
mycobraracr is offline  
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 11:26 PM
Knighted Member
 
TrickyShepherd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 2,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycobraracr View Post
Beautiful! You both take some great pics.
Thanks!

We will have much more now that I finally have another camera!

Alyssa
-Zira (01/09/11)
-Pakros von Jagenstadt "Duke" (01/06/10) -CGC
-Storm vom EnZ (05/16/12)
TrickyShepherd is offline  
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 11:31 PM
Crowned Member
 
onyx'girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SW, MI
Posts: 27,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooney's Mom View Post
Oh yes she does.

A little advice please? How can I get her drive up for the tug? She is still more interested in going after the poor decoy than the tug toy- she won't "hold" on to the tug she bites it grabs it then drops it and goes after him again. I have a tug at home we play with- she is more interested in getting it from me and playing chase, she does love to tug with me.. The first class we did bitework in, I didn't have her crated until right when bite work started, then I crated her. They have had me crating her since then- I thinks she "burns" our before we get to bitework cuase she has a tad bit of SA and barks almost the whole time she is in the car. We just started working with an E Collar today as well.

Thanks !
After she wins the tug...cradler her by her lower chin and gently stroke her so she'll see that holding(not chewing it) is a good place to be. Only reward(let her win) if she has a deep bite on the tug~let her counter to bite deeper before you let her win. Again, cradle her, stroke her with quiet praise and then when she outs(don't make her out in conflict*) do it again, but end it before she tires of the game.
If she is shaking or thrashing the tug, you need to calm that down...the helper work will help her transfer her drives, but working on the grips at home will help too.

Some dogs aren't genetic calm grip/deep bite, so developing it when they are not in higher state of drive will help.
*make her platz, command the out, then if she doesn't tell her no, instead of out. You could also hold her up by her collar til she outs, but I prefer to platz....command out....reward for the out with another tug session when young. My dog outed fine til he had to really work for the sleeve, then it was higher value. The helper was/is always his focus, not the sleeve target. Some dogs could care less about a sleeve, so having the line before the helper slips is very important. Handler should be on that and never let the dog spit/ go after the helper if the sleeve is not more than a target to bite.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
11.08.06-9.28.18

Last edited by onyx'girl; 05-06-2012 at 11:37 PM.
onyx'girl is offline  
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 11:34 PM
Knighted Member
 
TrickyShepherd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 2,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
After she wins the tug...cradler her by her lower chin and gently stroke her so she'll see that holding(not chewing it) is a good place to be. Only reward(let her win) if she has a deep bite on the tug~let her counter to bite deeper before you let her win. Again, cradle her, stroke her with quiet praise and then when she outs(don't make her out in conflict) do it again, but end it before she tires of the game.
If she is shaking or thrashing the tug, you need to calm that down...the helper work will help her transfer her drives, but working on the grips at home will help too.

Some dogs aren't genetic calm grip/deep bite, so developing it when they are not in higher state of drive will help.
Great advice! Thanks! That's something we can try too!

Alyssa
-Zira (01/09/11)
-Pakros von Jagenstadt "Duke" (01/06/10) -CGC
-Storm vom EnZ (05/16/12)
TrickyShepherd is offline  
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 11:45 PM
Crowned Member
 
mycobraracr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 3,911
If the dog is dropping the tug/sleeve you can try having the helper/decoy attach a line to it. Once the dog wins it keep some tension with the line and every so often make it come back to life. The dog will learn to cary it a little better until told to out.

I hope this makes sense. It is easier to demonstrate than to describe.
mycobraracr is offline  
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 11:48 PM
Knighted Member
 
TrickyShepherd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 2,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycobraracr View Post
If the dog is dropping the tug/sleeve you can try having the helper/decoy attach a line to it. Once the dog wins it keep some tension with the line and every so often make it come back to life. The dog will learn to cary it a little better until told to out.

I hope this makes sense. It is easier to demonstrate than to describe.
Makes sense to me. They've been talking about trying that with Duke soon.

Alyssa
-Zira (01/09/11)
-Pakros von Jagenstadt "Duke" (01/06/10) -CGC
-Storm vom EnZ (05/16/12)
TrickyShepherd is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome