Types of Exercises Involved in SchH Training - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Question Types of Exercises Involved in SchH Training

So, I'm thinking that I might wanna get Zach started with some SchH training just to make him a better dog and possibly to compete if I can find some local trials. What I'm wanting to know is what specific exercises do you do to teach your dogs the necessary things involved in SchH? How often do you train your dog with these exercises? Also, how can one go about increasing the prey drive for the protection aspect?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 09:21 PM

Prey drive is prey drive, you can't really increase something the dog doesn't have. There are drive building techniques though.

Schutzhund is pretty much all exercises. There's tracking, and obedience and protection exercises. The best thing to do would be to find a club that's local to you and talk to them about it and have them evaluate your dog. It's impossible to train a dog for Schutzhund (except the BH) without a helper. And even then, it's hard without a club. I'm not a member of any club, but I do go around and visit different ones. I also have a regular helper I work with 1-2 times a week. Obedience and tracking can be done on your own, but eventually you will need to practice things like groups, exercises around other dogs, etc.

Good luck! Welcome to the darkside
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 09:52 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabledog View Post
Welcome

Gnash von den Sportwaffen IPO3x2, AD, HOT
Brimwylf Creasy BH, HOT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 10:48 PM
Banned

Can someone make a small list of prerequisites for someone considering SCH? Ie, dog must: this, that, the other. Break it down for us, please. My dog has tons of prey drive, is very focused, but I very much doubt his nerves for this sport. I'm betting strong nerves would be in a "prerequisite list." (Which is why I've written off this sport.)

??
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 11:05 PM
Master Member

Balanced temperament, willingness to work and please (even through stress), friendly or even neutral socially, good attention span... just to name a few.

www.rescuedrover.com
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 02:08 AM
Elite Member

Chelle, granted strong nerves are something the dog should have it's not ALWAYS an immediate dismissal if the dog doesn't have it. Granted they may not go for and be able to title and compete but to learn with the dog at a club level may work which is why its best to find a club and have them evaluate the dog.

Jinx vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 02:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Prey drive is prey drive, you can't really increase something the dog doesn't have. There are drive building techniques though.

Schutzhund is pretty much all exercises. There's tracking, and obedience and protection exercises. The best thing to do would be to find a club that's local to you and talk to them about it and have them evaluate your dog. It's impossible to train a dog for Schutzhund (except the BH) without a helper. (just for the bite work?) And even then, it's hard without a club. I'm not a member of any club, but I do go around and visit different ones. I also have a regular helper I work with 1-2 times a week. Obedience and tracking can be done on your own, but eventually you will need to practice things like groups, exercises around other dogs, etc.

Aren't there also seperate Tracking and Obedience titles that a dog can earn officially, besides the BH test? I.e. if the dog doesn't have the temperament for the bite work?
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by codmaster View Post
Aren't there also seperate Tracking and Obedience titles that a dog can earn officially, besides the BH test? I.e. if the dog doesn't have the temperament for the bite work?
Yes, but you will just receive those titles. Not a full SchH title. I was assuming the OP wanted a SchH title.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 09:33 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

How often I train certain exercises depends on the dog. This week I have trained in some way or another all seven days. I am working 2 mature dogs, 1 young dog and my older dog is working towards her FH2 (advanced tracking). The two mature dogs do protection 2-3 days per week. I track 3-5 times per week and do obedience, sometimes just a quickie one exercise session, 6-7 days per week. Deja tracks 4-5 times per week. I do obedience with her in some form pretty much every day. Then protection is usually 3X per week. Then there is also just exercising and conditioning them.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 10:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Yes, but you will just receive those titles. Not a full SchH title. I was assuming the OP wanted a SchH title.

Good point!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page