Problems with the Food in Food-Hand losing grip of food - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Problems with the Food in Food-Hand losing grip of food

I used hot dogs and string cheese instead of the Natural Balance Sausage. Problem with Natural Balance is that it fills her up rather quickly, even though I can perfectly hold onto it even when my hand gets slippery from all the dog slobber.

With the Hot-Dogs we can work longer but I don't have the strength, due to nerve-damage, to actually hold onto it when it gets slippery. String Cheese is another alternative until the temperatures climb up the ladder.

I know this has been discussed out the wazoo but is there anything similar in consistence like the Natural Balance Sausage that doesn't fill them up after 5-10 minutes of work?

For the spitting I use the string cheese, but for the food-hand I need something where I don't lose my grip. We've had some beautiful moments and they were ruined due to me losing the food out of my hand. Anyone else having that same problem?

I am working regaining my strength but it'll always be my weaker hand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 03:29 PM
Crowned Member

I use the Red Barn Naturals food rolls. I found that they're much less powdery and crumbly than Natural Balance, plus they're cheaper. And my ridiculously picky dog can eat them for DAYS!

Premium Dog Food | RedBarn Pet Products

Feuergarten German Shepherds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Wow, they are MUCH cheaper. I just spend 30 bucks on Natural Balance. Next time I'll definitely go with Red Barn. You are right, they are rather crumbly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 03:34 PM
Crowned Member

Yeah I can order them in bulk through a local pet store for just about $1/pound so it's a HUGE savings compared to Natural Balance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Mhm, so I have to find a pet store I can order through. Hope that's not going to be a problem. :/
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 03:39 PM
Crowned Member

I use the red barn roll as well. It works wonders for me.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 03:40 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.K View Post
Mhm, so I have to find a pet store I can order through. Hope that's not going to be a problem. :/
There are some online retailers who get a pretty decent price on them as well. But I'd check with a mom & pop store first.

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Wonder if Tractor Supply lets me order through them since it's where I buy everything regarding the dogs anyways.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 05:14 PM
Master Member

It seems to be very hard to come by, but Bil jac frozen is the BEST training treat/food (I use it as part of my puppy's diet because he works for all his meals) I have ever come by.

I searched high and low to find a retailer, and I still drive about an hour to get it, but it is SO worth it. You can make it into pieces as small or large as you'd like, it's not crumbly, but not super sticky. No cutting necessary, ever. Must be kept frozen, but it thaws relatively quickly.

I pay $7.99/5lb bag. The best part, dogs go BANANAS over it - and it's not terrible for them. My puppy has tolerated it extremely well along side his raw diet.

Cruiser ~ Brix ~ Ferra ~ Ginte ~ Bacardi
Kira ~ Gitta ~ Maik ~ Amalka ~ Hety ~ Taz
Rudy ~ Ari ~ Dami

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 05:18 PM
Elite Member

What do you use for treats in the summer heat when the dogs don't want to eat?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page