Andy Maly Vah Prodegy - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

Andy Maly Vah Prodegy

Looking to see how the Andy Maly Vah prodegy are doing in sport (schutzhund, agility, akc obedienct, PSA, etc). I have a 2 year old female out of Andy - Andi Bojovnik "Brenna". This is a recent video of protection. If you have an Andy offspring, could you share either by posting video, commenting or sending to me? Would love to see how others are progressing, titling, etc.

Cheryl

Cheryl

Felice vom Amulree, SchI, TRII, CD, RA, CGC, TDI
Andi Bojovnik "Brenna" Bh
Finnegan von der Zahnburg
RIP Duchess Liberty of Bayberry, CD, RE, CGC, TDI
RIP Liberty's Favorite Falon, CGC, TDI
RIP Moriarity's Renegade of Orchard Court "Reno"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 09:28 PM
Crowned Member

My favorite subject! Andy

From the G Wildhaus litter most all of Andy x Della progeny are into agility, competitive obedience, herding and doing very, very well! Temperamentally they are very balanced(the litter is pretty consistent in the temperament and looks, though somehow Karlo is up by about 20# than the rest of his sibs)
My boy Karlo(Gideon v Wildhaus)is doing IPO and last fall we got the BH out of the way.... hope to do an IPO 1 & 2 along with some SDA(FO, P1 and tracking) trialing this year.
Karlo is slow to mature, and has yet to fill out. Higher threshold for the most part and not reactive to other dogs or people.
But when we go onto the protection field, he is "on" immediately, deep bark and not in prey.
He carried a bit of suspicion last year, but that has waned some with his maturing.

His H&B is genetic/strong and his fight drive is of more value than his prey drive.
He would rather 'man' track than do the SchH style footstep nose to the ground. He is not tunnel visioned on the track but aware of his surroundings. Motivation to find articles isn't a big deal, yet he has strong food drive. He loves to track and popping a ball at the end isn't a big enough reward either, he wants to continue tracking. I'm puzzled by him, because he enjoys tracking, but I think in his brain, finding articles are just silly/waste of time, so we work on motivating him. I've done food jackpots, no jackpot, toy, etc.

I don't have any recent video of his protection but he has a calm deep bite and the sleeve only holds value if he really has to work to get it(blind search exercises have been a challenge).

Looks like Brenna is not a sleeve focused girl either! She looks like Karlo and his siblings

We've worked on a suit a couple few times, and Karlo loves it. We continue to train w/ suit and sleeve, but focus on the control work with both!
Obedience isn't naturally flashy but I can bring it out with a bit of effort. Retrieves are great now, I use the 3 dumbbell for flat retrieves and he gives me great effort and enthusiasm.
Karlo loves to jump and do the A-frame(agility is natural....very graceful even at his 27" and 90#) I don't have a good agility training venue locally or we'd do it in the winter months.

I think with a different handler that didn't bop around from group to group, Karlo would have progressed more! But he goes with the flow and strange training venues don't bother him in the least....he is comfortable/settles in where ever we go to train.
Hopefully MRL will chime in with Glory's story and Lucia will beam about Gryffie! Not many other G people are on here, but we all keep in contact thru a Wildhaus puplist yahoo group.
Here is a pic I took today, his 3 yr anniversary of coming home!
We are a month ahead with the spring growth, look at the difference in the ferns.

His first day home...owning the place:

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18

Last edited by onyx'girl; 04-29-2012 at 09:31 PM.
post #3 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 09:32 PM
Crowned Member

Oh my holy crabapples of cuteness!!! Adorable pup grew into a hunkalicious dog

Kymmey
Mom To~ Dakoda (b/t GSD), Acheron (black GSD)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Jane, thank you for the update! Karlo looks so much like Andy. I got to see him last weekend. He is doing well for an old guy! Brenna also was slow to mature. Bark in defense first. Worked hard in transitionimg her between defense and prey the past 3 months. Also loves the jumps. Have incorporated them into heeling to boost her drive in obediene. Heeling is taking a while as she isn't interested in a tug or ball from me. She is a good tracker, but is suspicious so can become distracted. She has great food drive so using food instead of ball/tug in training. Hoping to trial in the fall but have alot more work to do.

Hoping others post as well as very interested in what all the pups have been doing and have accomplished.

Cheryl

Cheryl

post #5 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 09:43 PM
Crowned Member

Ugh it cut off the rest of my thing -_- Anyway... Love the video! Andy looks great (:

Kymmey
Mom To~ Dakoda (b/t GSD), Acheron (black GSD)
post #6 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 10:06 PM
Crowned Member

I love when Melanie puts up vids or pics of Andy on fb...brings tears to my eyes though, I sure would love to meet him. You are so lucky that you know him!
Interesting reading the resemblances in Brenna's obedience tracking and personality. I've recently started going to Bridget Carlsen seminars/methods to build that enthusiasm and motivation for obedience.
How are Brenna's siblings faring?

Another dog that is from Andy~ Lucas Maly Medved's owner is on the board, but doesn't post often....not sure he is doing sport-work however. Maybe Karen will see this thread and post an update, Lucas is a handsome guy too!

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Always in my heart
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #7 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

LOL, Jane. I bred Lucas. He was a cross of Andy and a west german showline I co-owned from the same kennel as my long coat Molly. I know Karen well. She tracked with us this morning. She has taken a few months off of training. Lucas was also slow to mature. No interest in tug until after 2. She worked him a bit last year and he had nice drives, full calm grip. Hoping she come back to training him soon!

C

Cheryl

post #8 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 10:25 PM
Crowned Member

I didn't know that you were the breeder! I knew he was a SL cross and wondered about that breeding and how it came about. How many were in the litter? You didn't keep a pup??

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Always in my heart
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #9 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

There were only 4 in the litter. 1 girl and 3 boys. I was training and working Molly (Felice vom Amulree) at the time and my mother was very ill so decided not to keep one. If I would have known Molly had severe hd back the, I would have! The others are in pet homes, so no chance to see if they could work.

Am very interested in seeing if any of the Andy pups have titled yet.

Cheryl

post #10 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 12:08 AM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

I got Gryffon for Schutzhund, and that is what we have been working towards.

He is a natural for bitework with crushing grips: (just today, we were breaking in a new sleeve, and it looked like an old sleeve after a few bites from him).
This is an older pic:

Gryffon's default working drive is prey drive. Though his barking is also a gorgeous deep, powerful bark. When pushed and pressured, he switches to defense, which is very serious. He is high threshold, and would benefit from some suspicion work.

When working obedience for a toy reward, he gets locked in prey, slowing down his sits and downs. He will work for food, but he is not food motivated enough to sustain his interest for more than five or ten minutes of work, and with food, his obedience gets flat, so a bit of a juggling act to keep him animated and interested without locking.

He can be equipment focused sometimes, but that is getting better. I've tried him on a bite suit once, and he did the transition smoothly and bit the decoy on the arm and on the tricep without hesitation the first time, which impressed the trainer at the seminar we were at. A WUSV level trainer we had at our club for a seminar had nothing but good things to say about Gryff, and joked about taking him home with him (he was, at the time, actively searching for his next competition dog).

Gryffon did his BH at 15 months, no issues:

I just started bicycling with him with the aim of doing an AD. After only three bike rides, I can take his leash off, and he keeps pace with the bike, holding position perfectly, ignoring distractions, looking to me for praise. If I stop to give him a break, he won't move away until I get off my bike. We did a 40 minute bike ride yesterday, on dirt roads, in the rain. Today we spent the morning tracking and training, then we went for another bike ride - 8 kilometers, pushing for speed and full out running for a good two kilometers of that 8 kilometer distance (we did 4 kms, took a break - he was looking for sticks to get me engaged in play - then on the return leg did half of it at a run). Got home, and he was begging to go out and play fetch. Paws are fine too, no bleeding even though he was running on pavement for half the ride.

For something different, we entered a Rally-O trial and we earned our first leg with a perfect 200 pt score, earning first place for Novice B, and High In Trial for Novice B. I only did about three practice sessions with him and entered one fun match prior to us trialing.

But training and preparing for trials is but a small part of having Gryffon, the biggest part of having him, is just enjoying him, and having fun adventures.

A recent pic, from just a couple of days ago:

Lucia

2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page