Training 4/22- Pictures and Videos - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Cool Training 4/22- Pictures and Videos

3rd class for us.

Obedience went great! Got a lot more focus from him then I usually do! Fuss was nice, starting to get it. Our platz/sitz stay was nice, he is learning that stay means STAY! Finally! Very proud of my boy!

Protection work went great today too! We have a lot to work on and he's FAR from perfect, but he's loving every second of it and taking to it well. Confidence is key right now... and today, he showed that he's getting more and more confident with each day! He was more alert today and far in front of me without hesitation. He loved it!

Overall it went great! Taking steps forward! Long road ahead, but we are both enjoying it!

Now time for pictures and videos (taken by Dooney's Mom)

Not paying attention here..

Correction... now we're looking back!

Getting better

Time for fun!

Ready.... Set....

GO!

Win!

Can't wait for next week! Lots of 'homework' to do this week though!!

I love this dog...

Alyssa
-Zira (01/09/11)
-Pakros von Jagenstadt "Duke" (01/06/10) -CGC
-Storm vom EnZ (05/16/12)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 04:45 PM
Crowned Member

Looks good!
I would re-think having that line wrapped around your hand like that. Once he gets more into this, he's going to snap the line, and that is going to kill your wrist.
I would learn to post with him, have the line low around the back of your hips, a longer line may be needed.
I use one without a handle so it doesn't catch once we started doing blind searches, etc.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 04:48 PM
Crowned Member

Second what Jane says.

Or you can hold it on your thighs in front of you while you position yourself steady. I feel like I have more control that way.

Looks great! You guys look like you are having a blast!

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 07:47 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisabeth_00117 View Post
Second what Jane says.

Or you can hold it on your thighs in front of you while you position yourself steady. I feel like I have more control that way.

Looks great! You guys look like you are having a blast!
You can borrow my long line if you want

Wendy
Dooney Von Pell- GSD 01/25/2011
Karma's Wycked Revenge- GSD 05/16/2012
Skye- WGSD 1991-2007
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 08:41 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

That was a great kick, kicking the tug back to the helper! Smooth and well aimed.

Looks great! You handle Duke well, and he really is having fun with it.

Lucia

2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooney's Mom View Post
You can borrow my long line if you want
Thanks! I have a long line, but it hurts my hands a bit... need new ones. I only used it to work off-leash things with them, a lot of recall work, and when we'd go walking on trails.... so it's not the best.

I was holding the handle to make absolute sure he didn't slip out and bite the helper. I know it may not be the best idea for later. We'll work on finding a better technique. Thanks everyone

Alyssa
-Zira (01/09/11)
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlemaid View Post
That was a great kick, kicking the tug back to the helper! Smooth and well aimed.

Looks great! You handle Duke well, and he really is having fun with it.
Thank you!! It's a learning experience, that's for sure! I have the typical awkward new handler syndrome ... but that ability will come in time! lol! Lots to think about and lots to keep my eyes on!

(soccer as a child has definitely given me a good "kick the tug back" technique! Our helper is very thankful for that! haha )

Alyssa
-Zira (01/09/11)
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 09:04 PM
Crowned Member

I wear gloves, it saves on the burned hands. When you progress to a prong it will be so much easier! But some people don't like to use prongs during protection. I had to early on, as my dog was so strong and at 90# very hard to control until we put the control work into his protection training.
I agree w/ Lucia, you do a great job w/ timing and handling.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
I wear gloves, it saves on the burned hands. When you progress to a prong it will be so much easier! But some people don't like to use prongs during protection. I had to early on, as my dog was so strong and at 90# very hard to control until we put the control work into his protection training.
I agree w/ Lucia, you do a great job w/ timing and handling.
Thank you!!

And I may have to get gloves. I saw someone using them today, and that seems like a good idea. He's 80lbs and a LOT stronger then me. I'm only 4'11. This dog could take me down in a split second. Each week I get a little better at holding my ground... but, I know I will eventually need some things to help me out a bit. He's very powerful. Safety for everyone (canine and human) is definitely my main concern!

I've already got my second "need to buy" list started and getting full..... Few things will be added very soon! (It's a never ending list... just like the horses!!! lol!)

So worth it though.... this dog is a lot of fun to work with! So much to learn from him...

Alyssa
-Zira (01/09/11)
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 10:00 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickyShepherd View Post
Thank you!!

And I may have to get gloves. I saw someone using them today, and that seems like a good idea. He's 80lbs and a LOT stronger then me. I'm only 4'11. This dog could take me down in a split second. Each week I get a little better at holding my ground... but, I know I will eventually need some things to help me out a bit. He's very powerful. Safety for everyone (canine and human) is definitely my main concern!

I've already got my second "need to buy" list started and getting full..... Few things will be added very soon! (It's a never ending list... just like the horses!!! lol!)

So worth it though.... this dog is a lot of fun to work with! So much to learn from him...
You and me both... ugh Maybe I shouldn't have spent so much money on my horse tack back at Christmas time

Wendy
Dooney Von Pell- GSD 01/25/2011
Karma's Wycked Revenge- GSD 05/16/2012
Skye- WGSD 1991-2007
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page