Agitation at 6 months - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Agitation at 6 months

Our big 55lb 6 month old is working on agitation to see how he reacts. Which by the time he is about a year old or older, will turn into bite work/protection training. He is pretty fierce, and protects his momma like it's nobody's business. Does anyone have any input on protection training/bite work? His trainer is also his breeder - a k9 trainer/cop.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	deanattack.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	16698   Click image for larger version

Name:	deanattack2.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	16699  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 12:40 PM
Elite Member

Once again, I know nothing about sch training. Just seems to me a 6 month old pup should not be showing aggression or should be acting protective at this age. But, as I said, I am not knowledgable in this area.

Seems more to me that pressuring a young pup into defense prematurely can backfire on you.
post #3 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 12:41 PM
Crowned Member

sorry, I would stop . This dog is stressed to the eyeballs , that is total fear . What is the guy doing ? flipping a tug? This is a statement about the dogs temperament . His age, no aggression work should be done period -- he is still learning the ropes of what "normal" life is , and if you belonged to any of the clubs I belonged to you would be told to get better foot wear . Flip flops don't ground you if the dog decides to lunge . You can't anchor.

Get familiar with Turid Rugaas - lots of illustrations in her book about the emotional state of dogs.
Questions and answers from Turid Rugaas

wrinkled nose , flash teeth , ears back , body rigid ---
over reaction to (what?) threat -- you will have to watch that when someone comes to you and extends the hand for doggy to sniff before patting , that doggy , doesn't head for this behaviour -- pre-emptive fight .

my comments - others may differ
Carmen
Carmspack Working German Shepherd Dogs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 12:44 PM
Crowned Member

That just seems like way too much for a puppy that young..He looks stressed.

Feuergarten German Shepherds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 12:47 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

I wasn't sure what forum to put this in. If this isn't right then I will move it to a more appropriate forum.

ADMIN Lisa

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #6 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 12:47 PM
Crowned Member

I don't really like the body language but it's just two photos so who knows.
post #7 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 12:48 PM
Knighted Member

Omg.

PSA- PDC
Rest in Peace my boys
Zeus 2000-2009
Odin 2010-2011
post #8 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

As I said in a post before, this is my first shepherd and I was trusting his breeder/trainer (who trains k9s regularly) on her opinion. She doesn't do it often, she was testing his temperament. This why I asked for advice. So thank you to all who have responded. He is very much a big puppy, but at the same time I didn't know any better to correct her, since she's been doing this since '92. Thanks for advice/opinions, I genuinely appreciate it. From here on out, until he has matured, it will be strictly obedience training, which he is doing very very well at. I want him to be properly and well trained in every aspect.
post #9 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 12:51 PM
Elite Member

Looks like he's being pressured in defense way too young--he's not ready for this level of pressure. If you want to do bitework with him, I'd recommend getting him to play tug and do some prey-play with the decoy to get him comfortable with that scenario.

Christine

post #10 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

He is an extremely happy dog, which is why she couldn't use him as a k9 dog. Him on a normal day, is playing tug of war with our miniature dachshund and lounging on the couch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page