transport & stalking - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

transport & stalking

My female has a really intense stalking behavior when we're just out exploring. I want to get this picture in the side and particularly rear transports. I watched someone began teaching it by pressing the dog firmly into their leg from the outside with their left hand in the basic position more or less while moving forward slowly. The reasoning being, when the dog is pushing firmly into you they know where you are and are still attentive though not with eye contact. The person said they weren't really sure why the pressure "triggered" the stalking behaviour, but that it did. I watched this person then take a dog and get a stalking rear transport within about 20 minutes with really impressive reliability considering it was 20 minutes of training.

Any thoughts on this or tricks/techniques to achieve? I tried once last week with my female.. the stalking came out, but the urge to leave me and engage the helper was still too great. That and of course she had no idea what I was asking for at this stage.

Hunter, CWDC UScA Helper
Beschützer des Jägers v.d. Sportwaffen
Katya v. Hügelblick
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen
Arya v. Allrothaus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 12:25 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

I have also seen this done, but not starting with the helper. They started it with a toy of some sort. I have seen the results with their older competition dogs so I know it works and eventually transfers from the toy to the helper. Try starting this with something other than the helper.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhczth View Post
I have also seen this done, but not starting with the helper. They started it with a toy of some sort. I have seen the results with their older competition dogs so I know it works and eventually transfers from the toy to the helper. Try starting this with something other than the helper.
I think we can get it with the helper if he gives a little less distraction. She *was* stalking, but was more than willing to continue stalking with or without me. Its like trying to slow a fast tracker.. I know there has gotta be a trick, and just holding her back isn't the answer. I saw it started with a helper. I believe when I was trying it my helper was facing, but I think if maybe he was faced away it would have tempted her less.

Hunter, CWDC UScA Helper
Katya v. Hügelblick
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen
Arya v. Allrothaus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 01:34 PM

The people I saw doing this, and I forgot this part until later, also had a second person on a line to keep the dog in position so it could not break.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhczth View Post
The people I saw doing this, and I forgot this part until later, also had a second person on a line to keep the dog in position so it could not break.
Now that we need to train the back transport.... are they just restraining the dog, or correcting them back into place? Should I first teach a type of heeling where contact is the "attention"? i.e... or should I keep the helper there so I don't confuse normal heeling? I was thinking of having the helper stand still, and when she forged or lost contact with my leg, we just stop until she gets back into position... so only proper position relative to me moves us closer to the helper

Hunter, CWDC UScA Helper
Katya v. Hügelblick
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen
Arya v. Allrothaus
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 03:23 PM

They were doing this with a young dog so it was the initial training. They were actually helping to hold them into position.

You should not confuse this with normal heeling since you are not using the same command.

Lisa Clark

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page