Protection help! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Protection help!

Brody is 15 months and we've been doing protection for a few months now. He's just now starting to really get into it. In our last class you could see a light go on in his brain and it was like "oh ok, this is what I'm suppose to do. This is awesome!". However, I feel like he's getting confused and is bringing his protection training into other situations. We also do agility. Tonight was our first class since our last protection session when everything clicked and Brody was acting very aggressive. He was barking at me and at the instructor in the same way he did at the decoy in protection. It was a little scary. The instructor told me to leash him and stopped the session on a good note but I could tell she felt unnerved. Hes never acted like this before. He's been wonderful in agility so far, calm and focused. I got the feeling like he thought he was suppose to bark. Is it possible that he's getting confused? I'm starting to think that I should stop the protection training. I'm just afraid that it will escalate into biting. Has anyone else had this problem? Has anyone had any negative or unwanted behaviors from doing protection?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 11:54 PM
Crowned Member

Do you think he could have just been barking to get a reaction? When teaching the dogs to bark, you're teaching them that they bark to get a reaction. I:E the decoy moves or the object moves.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 11:54 PM
Crowned Member

He was probably just frustrated/ramped up and it was barking that was his release. Why was he barking, because he had to wait to run?
Can you play tug with him a bit so he can let some of his energy out in a tug or ball?

Did you say NO Quiet? Or let him bark?

I haven't had my dog get confused during other type of training, but for awhile he was a bit suspicious to people he didn't know.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 11:56 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
He was probably just frustrated/ramped up and it was barking that was his release. Why was he barking, because he had to wait to run?
Can you play tug with him a bit so he can let some of his energy out in a tug or ball?

I haven't had my dog get confused, but for awhile he was a bit suspicious to people he didn't know.
Like, I had this thought to.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 05:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post

I haven't had my dog get confused during other type of training, but for awhile he was a bit suspicious to people he didn't know.
He was barking because I wasn't giving him a cookie after every obstacle like I had previously done. The instructor just told me to ignore him, and then do some sits/downs with him. This calmed him down enough to continue but he would bark at me again as soon as we got going.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 09:16 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

As Jane pointed out this probably had nothing to do with the "protection" training and more his seeing if he could get what he wants. He has found that his barking gets him what he wants and now he is trying it in other areas.

If he starts barking, stop all activity and maybe even put him in a down for a minute. Then start the training again, repeat if necessary. He should eventually get the idea that barking in agility is not allowed and if he barks the fun stops.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Than you for the responses! I agree, I think he was trying to get a reaction. We don't have class next week so I'm going to set up a private session at the space and see what happens. If he barks again I'll put him in a down. Hopefully he'll figure it out. Thanks so much!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 02:22 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Put him in a down and even turn your back on him. If that doesn't work, maybe put him in a crate for a bit or out in the car. That takes longer, but it might be enough to make him realize that barking ends the fun. He just needs to learn when it is allowed and when it isn't.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page