Developing a consistent bark and hold - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Developing a consistent bark and hold

What are some ways, from the handler's and helper's perspective, to maintain a bark and hold in position?
By that I mean a dog that likes to jump up, down, and all around then run forward hit the leash, back up, circle and start all over again.

I have moved from a harness to a collar for starters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 10:36 PM

Have you tried advancing the dog to the helper when it barks? As the dog barks you move forward. If the dog starts to spin or jump, stop the forward movement. Conversely, have the dog bark and the helper can move to the dog. The general idea is that strong barking gets the dog closer to the helper. Usually, if you move forward steadily the dog will not spin.

“Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance”. George Bernard Shaw

Jim
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 10:53 PM
Crowned Member

A table or platform works great for teaching it. It will stop any spinning and keep the dog in a zone to set up and get a rhythm going. I think a prong collar works well, because the dog doesn't lean into it as they would a harness. A flat, fursaver or agitation collar may restrict or weaken the barking.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 11:05 PM

First how old of a dog and are we talking work in a blind or in general?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 11:13 PM
Crowned Member

I wouldn't start in the blind, that comes later after you get the consistent powerful barking with confidence. The dog needs to be out of prey mode as well.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Dog is a year and a half. Very high prey drive.

Jim, yes that is how we are working it now. We have only done two sessions so far, and I am still working on timing and leash handling .
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Also..... not in the blind, out in the field.
We tried working on a platform but I am quite concerned about injury. It does not limit the leaping, which quickly resulted in badly skinned stifles.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 07:14 AM
Crowned Member

Have you been keeping constant pressure downward on the leash? I've noticed that with some dogs in my club, it limits the jumping and spinning. I think that better, more consistent barking will come with more experience/training. I do agree with Slamdunc as well when it comes to moving slowly towards the helper to introduce a correct bark and hold.

Feuergarten German Shepherds

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 10:36 AM

If you back tie the dog, have the helper move forward only when the dog is barking. Have a second leash on the dog attached to a prong collar and give little (tiny, small) pops on the leash with the prong. Small pops will enhance the drive and barking. These are not corrections, a prong can be used to build intensity and cause intense barking in this way. Since you have the second leash, you can control the dogs movement as well. If the dog starts to spin or jump the decoy backs up. When the dog is barking and focused the decoy moves in. This is how I would try it for a SchH dog, a police dog would be a little different.

good luck,

“Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance”. George Bernard Shaw

Jim
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 10:48 AM

Jim had had some good ides. But if this also only the dogs second session, do you think some of this might be displacement that the dog is showing since it does not know what to do in its own mind yet, as to how to handle the situation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page