Do I want to do this or not? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Do I want to do this or not?

I am REALLY new to Schutzhund- never heard of it until I got Dooney from the breeder. I wanted to get a better handle on Dooney and her obedience-so I brought her to the trainer that my breeder uses for OB and Shutzhund (same one that TrickyShepherd just went to).

I went with the purpose of JUST doing OB but 2 of Dooney's littermate brothers and her older brother were staying for bitework, so I hung around for the bitework. When the decoy got into his gear and cracked the whip Dooney went NUTS- she wanted him. Needless to say I had the trainer evaluate her for bitework and needless to say she passed and is cleared to do it IF i am interested. So here is the question.. Do I want to do this?

Let me say- PLEASE nobody take offense to anything I say, I mean no harm or offense- I WOULD love to do this with her, but I need some education first.

I want to be able to have Dooney out around other people and be a (for lack of a better word here) "normal" dog. So many of the Schutzhund dogs I am around (including those at training) aren't out hanging out with their owners (even when NOT working on bitework) I don't want to turn her into a dog that can't be around other people, or that needs to be crated constantly if others are around, to feel like I can't "trust" her. I want to still be able to have my "pet" I guess as well as a "working" dog. Am I making any sense here? Is this even possible? Does she have to be one or the other, or can she both? Can I still trust her to be around kids? Especially my 4 year old nephew that she is already protective of. I know ALOT of this depends on the dog, training, etc and I am going to talk to the trainer some more this weekend. But I really wanted to get some helpful input from all of you as well. Thank you in advance!

Wendy
Dooney Von Pell- GSD 01/25/2011
Karma's Wycked Revenge- GSD 05/16/2012
Skye- WGSD 1991-2007
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 08:25 PM
Crowned Member

I've actually never met a SchH dog that was truly aggressive. Of course it is possible for this to happen but I've never seen one myself. I think the biggest question is if you and Dooney will enjoy the sport or not.

Kymmey
Mom To~ Dakoda (b/t GSD), Acheron (black GSD)
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 08:30 PM
Crowned Member

My Schutzhund dogs hang around people all the time. In fact I had one at work today. He visited a bunch of people in my office, went for a walk on the college campus where I work, let some strangers pet him and play tug, and then after work we went to Schutzhund training and did protection. Same dog ran around with my friends and their dog (with tons of people nearby since we train at a baseball field and there were games going on). This past weekend both my dogs were in a flyball tournament where they were around other people and dogs all weekend. Nikon got a dog massage from a complete stranger. At the last tournament he decided to go to bed with my friend!

Dogs need to be "put up" safely when they are not working. They don't hang out with their owners or other people on a serious training day unless its their turn to work. This has nothing to do with the dog, but the training.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
My Schutzhund dogs hang around people all the time. In fact I had one at work today. He visited a bunch of people in my office, went for a walk on the college campus where I work, let some strangers pet him and play tug, and then after work we went to Schutzhund training and did protection. Same dog ran around with my friends and their dog (with tons of people nearby since we train at a baseball field and there were games going on). This past weekend both my dogs were in a flyball tournament where they were around other people and dogs all weekend. Nikon got a dog massage from a complete stranger. At the last tournament he decided to go to bed with my friend!

Dogs need to be "put up" safely when they are not working. They don't hang out with their owners or other people on a serious training day unless its their turn to work. This has nothing to do with the dog, but the training.
Thank you, that makes me feel MUCH better about training her. SHE definately enjoys it and I think I would if I wasn't worried. Thanks for the response- keep them coming!

Wendy
Skye- WGSD 1991-2007
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 08:47 PM
Knighted Member

You need to ask your self if you are interested enough to commit the time and effort that it takes to be successful in Schutzhund. Your dog will most likely be safer and more in control when trained but it takes time and effort to get there.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 08:57 PM
Crowned Member

Does this make you feel better? My big bad Schutzhund dogs!

That's not me OR my Corgi...Schutzhund dogs can make people and dog friends too!

In multiple parades, with LOTS of people/kids

Not my kids (I don't have kids)

Second grade class obedience demo

That's not me and the other three dogs are not mine
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 09:00 PM
Crowned Member

Liesje- you have GORGEOUS babies!

Kymmey
Mom To~ Dakoda (b/t GSD), Acheron (black GSD)
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 09:04 PM
Crowned Member

My girl and I are very active in schutzhund and other protection sports. I also take her everywhere I go. She is my velcro dog. When I allow it she will play with every dog in sight. She also loves people. Like others have said, during training it is safer and better for the dog to be crated. Plus it gives the dog time to reflect on what it was just doing.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 09:06 PM
Crowned Member

Liesje- Awesome! I love your pics.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Liesje- Wow--- awesome dogs and YES it makes me feel TONS better.

Wendy
Skye- WGSD 1991-2007
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page