Puppy bite question - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Puppy bite question

Hopefully this will be a quick question heh, but I was slightly misdirected (through my own error) in some of the information I was finding about puppy biting. Aparently I kept looking at pet information and not working information heh.

Anyways, right now I have an 8 week old female GSD pup who I hope to work in IPO sport. I plan on going to a club, but right now making a visit isnt possible (this thread would be a lot longer if I had to explain why heh). The breeder, though his dogs are czech/ddr working lines, doesnt work his dogs in sport and only has them as pets and does obedience work with them, and while interested in the sport he doesnt have the entire know-how.

Anyways, right now as puppies do, my little girl bites. She nibbles hands and pants, and from everything I had read (mistakenly or not) it seemed that this was something I should be stopping. So using avoidance and the word 'no' she's shakilly getting the idea that she shouldnt bite hands or pants (at least not mine, she goes after my step dad religiously but he has a weak temperament hehe). Theres no fear when she stops. She just sits and looks at me like she's saying 'alright I did good...treat?'.

This is great for a pet, but I stumbled upon another internet article while embarking on my ongoing research about Schutzhund (no lie, the only bookstore within miles of where I live closed down...I'm very sad) that seems to hint at the fact that the puppies should be ENCOURAGED to bite like this. Or at least not told not to.

I'm curious as to how true that is. I've only seen this in one article in a sea of many, but then again I could have been looking in the wrong spots. I've been told that puppies just grow out of this phase and its only a phase, but I've also been told if I dont address it now then it will become a serious problem later.

Normally I re-direct her biting to a toy unless were only out for potty and no playing. She gets roudy, and then even a toy wont satisfy her, and thats usually when she goes for pants. Normally after a few moments of that she just goes back into the crate, but I'm wondering if I should stop worrying about telling her 'no' for nibbling and just toss a toy and leave it at that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 04:59 PM
Crowned Member

It's not true. Manners is manners, SchH or not. Dogs know the difference between working in protection mode and just screwing around. I do SchH with both my males and they were not bitey as puppies and I certainly would never encourage that. I think redirecting is the right thing. You don't want to be overbearing as far as verbal or physical punishment. Most GSD puppies are mouthy for a while.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Ah thanks for that insight. I use my tone more than anything when I tell her no (and never physical punishment), and she seems to pick it up really quick. She'll do that sort of half mouthing thing while looking at me, and I'll just keep looking and then she'll let go and sit. She's very adorable hehe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page