Tracking Fields in Watertown - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-09-2012, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Tracking Fields in Watertown

...a couple of days ago I watched the police training their two new dogs since they used the baseball field across from my working place. They did obedience and tracking. Got to talk to the two trainers.

Anyhow, I asked them if I could use the baseball field as well and they said that ANY FIELD that is CITY PROPERTY is completely available for dog owners as long as there is no activity on the field, meaning: I have at least 5 different tracking fields now.

They also said that if there is a playground I'd have to stay 20ft away from it, BUT since I'm in the K9 SAR Team, that rule doesn't apply for me.

Up until that day I had no idea if it was legal to use the sport fields to work the dogs and I didn't know where to go to track. That's no longer the case.

HAPPY TRACKING!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-09-2012, 11:22 PM
Crowned Member

Yay! I use sport fields too, soccer and baseball (full sized outfields). The facility is not city/public but there's an unwritten rule that dogs are allowed as long as they are under control and we leave if people come for sports. I've been seeing a lot of poop at the facility so on Friday I went over there with my poop scooper and cleaned it all up. It was mostly little dog poop but it only takes one person to ruin it for everyone!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
Yay! I use sport fields too, soccer and baseball (full sized outfields). The facility is not city/public but there's an unwritten rule that dogs are allowed as long as they are under control and we leave if people come for sports. I've been seeing a lot of poop at the facility so on Friday I went over there with my poop scooper and cleaned it all up. It was mostly little dog poop but it only takes one person to ruin it for everyone!
That's what happened in town when the one dog bit that child at the farmers market. They put a new law into place where you can't bring your dog to public events, have to stay away from playyards etc. but SAR dogs are excluded from that rule. So luckily I can go out to track even if there is a playground on the field. As for poop, it's the first time I noticed a poop station anywhere in the city.

Picking it up, even though it's not yours, is a good idea. I'll definitely do that too if there is too much out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 09:15 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Does that mean you can only train Indra? Or are you doing SAR with Nala as well?

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
Does that mean you can only train Indra? Or are you doing SAR with Nala as well?
She is on the team and we are doing Swissies already but the main concentration is on obedience. Without at least some form of obedience we couldn't have started with the Swissies at all. In the video she brought a stick and willingly dropped it to start working. Three months ago, there would have been no way she would have done that, at all.

This is where she stands right now. I have the bark indication in there too.
Yesterday we got new homework.
- toss the treat and start re-calling her into the formal re-call
- crate games went to the next level. Walk away from the crate, get into position, call the dog, run with the dog, let her have the treat and back into the crate. She's got to fly out of there like a bullet
- rear end awareness
- stand-stay out of heel position
- formal heeling position and starting a few steps to heel

She's got an awesome head position already.
Next time we start working on the hold for the retrieve.

That's the tracking field. It's HUGE. This is not all of the field.
http://youtu.be/Fj3bCV2BJVQ

Last edited by Mrs.K; 04-10-2012 at 09:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page