Cleared! What do I need now?! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Cleared! What do I need now?!

We had our training evaluation on Duke today. He settled in pretty quickly! We met everyone and got to start some Obedience. It was nice watching everyone work their dogs.... lots of nice GSDs & Mals!

Training went GREAT today! Duke did amazing during his evaluation! We did some agitation work with the tug toy.... he loved it! Had a lot of fun, and enjoyed barking all he wanted! We've been cleared to join the Sunday training class and the protection part of it.

Now.... with this.. I know there are things we need to get....

What I know I need:
-Kennel for the car
-flat collar
-Short leash
-New prong (ours is a quick release, can't have those... so for class, we need a regular one)
-Attachment for prong to connect to the collar. (just in case)
-Tug toy

Anything I'm missing?

Also, where is the best place to get all of this? I know where to get the basic things like kennel, collars, etc. But the tug toy? What's a good place to order those? I know of the Leerburg site, but are they fair priced? Ship fast?

Next Sunday we have class again and I want to make sure we have what we need. Especially the essentials.

(BTW... I am SUPER excited about this!! I was jumping up and down inside when the trainer told me he was cleared to start training!!! )

Alyssa
-Zira (01/09/11)
-Pakros von Jagenstadt "Duke" (01/06/10) -CGC
-Storm vom EnZ (05/16/12)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 02:44 PM
Crowned Member

www.hallmarkk9.com there may be places closer to you
post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holland View Post
www.hallmarkk9.com there may be places closer to you
Ah, yes! That's the site one of them mentioned during class...

Thank you!!

Alyssa
-Zira (01/09/11)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 03:04 PM
Crowned Member

I would look at elitek9 too. Balls on string from Hallmark are great, and the yellow elite ball is strong, too. Some dogs prefer tugs some like balls, so try each or rotate them to keep the value high.
Synthetic two handle tug is my favorite as far as tugs go.
You may be able to pick up a kennel on CL. I'd also get a crate fan because your dog will be crated most of the day. Stainless water bucket attached to the crate, and if you are doing tracking, some surveyors flags from a home improvement store. Also a longer line for tracking is nice to have, and the ASAT one dries quick, easy to clean when you are tracking in the damp dew.
I'd also get a tab line(8"-10") for the prong, and a fursaver.
If you need a harness, someone in the club may be willing to lend you one(they aren't used for a long period of time, just while the dog is learning some of the different protection techniques) while back-tied. Otherwise Bridgport equipment has one of the best at a great price(tracking harness to be used in agitation): https://www.bridgeportequipment.com/...x?productId=96
Have fun with your new addiction!!

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 03:09 PM
Crowned Member

Yayy! Congrats!

I use Leerburg, Hallmark, and Elitek9 typically. For leashes, I have a 33ft tracking leash, a 10ft leash for bitework, and 6ft and 4ft leashes for anything else that I may need. For tabs, I just buy a regular nylon or cotton leash and cut it to the length that I want because I'm not a fan of the brass or nickel rings that they usually put on the end of the pre-made leather tabs.

I also would have a water pail/dish with water with me. I bought one that I could clip onto his crate.

I use a fursaver during training along with a prong collar and just clip the two together when needed because Aiden doesn't wear a regular flat collar. Plus, I believe for trials you need to have a collar thats along the lines of a fursaver anyways.

I'm sure theres a few things that I'm missing too. I'll add some more when I figure that out, lol.

Feuergarten German Shepherds

post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 03:40 PM
Knighted Member

I use leerburg and like them a lot. I also use zukak9 Home for leather equipment. His leatherwork is awesome and he guarantees is stuff for life.
post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
I would look at elitek9 too. Balls on string from Hallmark are great, and the yellow elite ball is strong, too. Some dogs prefer tugs some like balls, so try each or rotate them to keep the value high.
Synthetic two handle tug is my favorite as far as tugs go.
You may be able to pick up a kennel on CL. I'd also get a crate fan because your dog will be crated most of the day. Stainless water bucket attached to the crate, and if you are doing tracking, some surveyors flags from a home improvement store. Also a longer line for tracking is nice to have, and the ASAT one dries quick, easy to clean when you are tracking in the damp dew.
I'd also get a tab line(8"-10") for the prong, and a fursaver.
If you need a harness, someone in the club may be willing to lend you one(they aren't used for a long period of time, just while the dog is learning some of the different protection techniques) while back-tied. Otherwise Bridgport equipment has one of the best at a great price(tracking harness to be used in agitation): https://www.bridgeportequipment.com/...x?productId=96
Have fun with your new addiction!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDog View Post
Yayy! Congrats!

I use Leerburg, Hallmark, and Elitek9 typically. For leashes, I have a 33ft tracking leash, a 10ft leash for bitework, and 6ft and 4ft leashes for anything else that I may need. For tabs, I just buy a regular nylon or cotton leash and cut it to the length that I want because I'm not a fan of the brass or nickel rings that they usually put on the end of the pre-made leather tabs.

I also would have a water pail/dish with water with me. I bought one that I could clip onto his crate.

I use a fursaver during training along with a prong collar and just clip the two together when needed because Aiden doesn't wear a regular flat collar. Plus, I believe for trials you need to have a collar thats along the lines of a fursaver anyways.

I'm sure theres a few things that I'm missing too. I'll add some more when I figure that out, lol.

Awesome!! Thank you two very much!! So much I have to get and learn about! But, it's worth it... we are so excited to start this training with him! He had so much fun today and so did Will and I!

For a tug- I was looking at this one. I want something with 2 handles, but not anything huge... it's just for reward. Think this is good?
Gappay Stitched Jute Tug with 2 Handles 5x50cm

I also liked this collar:
Leerburg | Leather Agitation Collar with Handle

I also have a nylon choker like this:
Leerburg | Nylon Slip Collar
Would that be ok to hook on with the prong?

Also, how thick should the prong be? I've never shopped for one online.... the one we have now is wider. Duke isn't a dog that needs a thin one... he handles corrections fine on his thick one. Should that be fine to stay with?

Alyssa
-Zira (01/09/11)
post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
I use leerburg and like them a lot. I also use zukak9 Home for leather equipment. His leatherwork is awesome and he guarantees is stuff for life.
Oh those are nice! Thank you! (and I like the idea of a lifetime guarantee)

Alyssa
-Zira (01/09/11)
post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 03:57 PM
Crowned Member

I love the Leerburg agitation collars. I have the one without the handle for Aiden and it's great!

My favorite tugs are these. Aiden is kind of picky and likes his tugs to be kinda squishy. He's not a fan of the leather or hard jute roll types. We have the synthetic material and jute of this same style.
Leerburg | Mini Tug

I have the curogan fursaver and prong for Aiden. He has the 3.3mm prong and the medium link fursaver.
This is the fursaver : Herm Sprenger 4.0 MM Curogan Fur Saver Meduim Link-Elite K-9
This is the prong: Leerburg | Prong Collars & Fur Saver Collars

You might be able to find the prong somewhere cheaper. I got mine from elitek9 for much less than Leerburg, but I can't find it on that site anymore.

How big is Duke? I'm sure you've seen the facebook pictures of Aiden. He's between 85-90lbs and those sizes are perfect for him. I've seen the 4.0mm prongs and they just seem huge to me.

Welcome to the addiction club!

Feuergarten German Shepherds

post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDog View Post
I love the Leerburg agitation collars. I have the one without the handle for Aiden and it's great!

My favorite tugs are these. Aiden is kind of picky and likes his tugs to be kinda squishy. He's not a fan of the leather or hard jute roll types. We have the synthetic material and jute of this same style.
Leerburg | Mini Tug

I have the curogan fursaver and prong for Aiden. He has the 3.3mm prong and the medium link fursaver.
This is the fursaver : Herm Sprenger 4.0 MM Curogan Fur Saver Meduim Link-Elite K-9
This is the prong: Leerburg | Prong Collars & Fur Saver Collars

You might be able to find the prong somewhere cheaper. I got mine from elitek9 for much less than Leerburg, but I can't find it on that site anymore.

How big is Duke? I'm sure you've seen the facebook pictures of Aiden. He's between 85-90lbs and those sizes are perfect for him. I've seen the 4.0mm prongs and they just seem huge to me.

Welcome to the addiction club!
Haha! Oh yes, I can see it already..... It was awesome seeing him working... What a rush! We had tons of fun! Duke was ALL into it! We are switching to German commands.... I know a little German, took some classes, and I like speaking it... so why not?! He took to it well! Didn't seem to bother him at all, or even confuse him.

Duke sticks around 75-80lbs. His current prong is probably a 3.3mm. I'll need to measure it.

I like that tug you posted.. although Leerburg is a bit pricey compared to the others.... I don't see one as nice as that one. I like the two handles. Duke will probably want the softer ones too. We use a soft one today and he LOVED it! So... guess that's a safe choice.

Alyssa
-Zira (01/09/11)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page