Schutzhund training? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

Question Schutzhund training?

I'm looking for opinions here, so be honest.

I'm interested in starting schutzhund training with Shadow when he's just a little older, he's only three months now. I have NO intention of ever breeding him. I just think he would enjoy the training, he seems to be a driven little boy.

My question, is there any point in working him seriously toward titles when it seems they are really geared towards those who plan to breed their dogs.

Maybe I'm just reading this the wrong way, do enlighten me as to your thoughts both for and against.

I have what seems to be a decent club and trainers close to me, so geographic desirability is not an issue.

Heidi
Max, GSD 2002-2011
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Shadow, GSD Not So Little Black Demon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 10:10 AM
Crowned Member

There are plenty of people out there doing Schutzhund who do not breed their dogs. Schutzhund is a sport and it is fun. Try it and see if it is something you and your dog would enjoy.

Carolina Johnson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 10:43 AM
Crowned Member

The best time to start SchH is now and the vast majority of us don't breed our dogs. I know I don't.

Elaine and the herd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 10:45 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

SchH/IPO is as much sport or, at this point in its history, even more sport than it is a breed test. No reason not to train and title your dog just because you have no desire to breed.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 TR3 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 11:23 AM
Crowned Member

My male who is 3 has been training in schutzhund since he was 11 months old.

He has not even trialed yet, although ready in most aspects. He is not and will never be bred.

He has fun tracking, has fun (sorta) doing obedience but is not strong nor enjoys protection so I have recently realized this and pulled him from that phase.

Will I continue working with him in the other two phases? Yes, because it's fun, shows me how to bond and work with my dog and also, let's be honest, gives me a great, obedient dog who I have control of in almost every single situation.

Now, my younger female is also training in the sport and I look at her work a little differently as she is a potential breeding female. I work her, we have fun working, she excels in every respect of the sport (even though she doesn't look at it nor do I in this way) so far at her young age of almost a year. For me, this is a fun thing to do to evaluate her (and to have others evaluate her) for potential breeding. But I must say, I look at what she can do on the field just as much as I look at what she does off the field to make those decisions.

I say go for it, start now too because like others have said - perfect age to start!

HAVE FUN... oh, and be very careful with schutzhund......... it's extremely addictive!

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 01:21 PM
San

My GSD and I train in ringsports.

We got her with the intention of keeping her as a pet, turned out she was too drivey to be just a pet. We knew nothing about dog sports before we joined our club. We started sports training simply because we wanted to give her a job. Well, now both hubby and I are addicted to it, LOL. It is a lot of fun, makes us better handlers for sure.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 01:27 PM
Elite Member

We are not breeders but have been participating in Schutzhund for many years. Like you state, it is something the dogs enjoy, so for that reason alone it is worth getting involved.
Also, even though you may never breed, where did you get your dog from? Most breeders love when dogs from their program participate and title in a sport or activity.
It will also help you as a handler and trainer to learn how to interact with your dog on another level and be able to handle your dog with pretty much any distraction, that's always a good thing.
We currently have 3 members in our club who participate for that reason alone, they want to have a strong bond with the dog and feel confident handling their dog in any situation, good on them!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page