BH Rules: "animal rights approved collar or harness" - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

BH Rules: "animal rights approved collar or harness"

I have been reading BH rules test rules and I noticed one of the rules if for a dog to wear "animal rights approved collar or harness".

I'm not sure exactly what it is and if somebody can give some information on that specific collar or harness?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 09:13 AM
Crowned Member

fursaver was the required collar for all phases.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 10:29 AM

The new IPO rules now state that for the BH portion only a leather collar is acceptable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcannie View Post
The new IPO rules now state that for the BH portion only a leather collar is acceptable.
I'm not sure where you read that. Here'e the text from the latest IPO rules which indicates to me that for bh choke and other humane collars are acceptable.

The handler (HF) must carry a leash with him throughout the trial. This includes that the dog wear a
simple, single-row loose-fitting choke collar, which is not hooked to the live setting. Other collars, such as
leather collars, flea/tick collars, pinch collars, etc. are not permitted during the trial.
These rules do not apply to the BH trial with the behavioural test, as here other collar attire is permitted.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 11:00 AM
Knighted Member

Quote:
animal rights approved collar or harness
Where did you read this?

Anne

post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 11:17 AM
Knighted Member

http://www.fci.be/circulaires/55-2011-annex-en.pdf

Pg 7:
"The handler (HF) must carry a leash with him throughout the trial. This includes that the dog wear a simple, single-row loose-fitting choke collar, which is not hooked to the live setting. Other collars, such as leather collars, flea/tick collars, pinch collars, etc. are not permitted during the trial.
These rules do not apply to the BH trial with the behavioural test, as here other collar attire is permitted.

Collar requirement / Carrying a leash
Due to insurance liability reasons the handler is to carry a leash with him for the duration of the trail
It can be worn around the handler (clasp side away from the dog) or out of sight, this includes that the dog is to always have a collar on. The judge, therefore, must maintain a visual check that this is the case at all
times. The choke collar may not have spikes, claws or other hooks. It must be worn loose. So-called
flea/tick collars must be removed prior to the trail.
The type of choke collar, especially in regards to its weight, may not deviate from the normal marketed
products. If suspicion arises, then the judge can request that the collar be changed. This, however, must take place prior to beginning the phase. If suspicion also arises as to fraud in view of a spiked collar or
the like, the judge will disqualify the handler from further testing.
Entry in the scorebook: “Disqualification due to unsportsmanlike conduct”
All previous points are deleted.
For the Tracking phase the dog may wear a harness in addition to the choke collar or a vest"

Ash

post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 11:20 AM
Knighted Member

P 24:

"From the basic position, the dog, wearing a certified commercial collar or harness meeting animal protection laws, is to follow the handler happily on lead."

Ash

post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 11:41 AM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Our Club had a Skype meeting with Doug Deacon, head judge of the GSSCC (German Shepherd Schutzhund Club of Canada), and went over the new allowance for a flat collar or a harness for the BH. Basically, a regular flat buckle collar, OR a regular harness is now allowed for the BH.

My take on the harness thing is that it would preclude harnesses that have a corrective action to prevent pulling, or correction collars.

Lucia

2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

I googled search "how to train for bh german shepherd" and I found a breeder's web page that mentioned of a particular collar to use. The post was dated March 25 2012.

1. On Lead Heeling (15 points). Command:" Heel" ("Fuss")

From the basic position at the command "Heel" ("Fuss"), the on-lead dog, wearing an animal rights approved collar or harness, follows the handler gladly. The lead may not be on the live ring of the collar.

post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

So I was not sure exactly how the collar looks like or exactly what "animal rights approved collar" is. There are so many collars out there and not sure exactly what kind to use and which is effective or should I say good to use. I was also surprised to find out that a harness can be used.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page