Novice helper needs help - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Novice helper needs help

I am having trouble getting some of the dogs to take me serious. What are some things you do to "rev-up" the dogs and be intimidating? Today not only did I get beat up but, some of the dogs would be in a bark and hold but be looking all around because they didn't feel threatened by me. Some of the dogs were also getting a little dirty and trying to "punk" me because they knew I am new.

Any suggestions other than more experience. I already know I need that. Thanks for all your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 06:29 PM
Crowned Member

Those things could happen for a variety of reasons (usually from handlers making too much pressure during the B&H), but to be more threatening you can't "fake it". Pretend the dog is a guy across the bar saying nasty things about your mom/friend/wife/whatever. The way you posture at him is the same way you posture to a dog. Trying to act will be seen right through. I actually think about hurting the dog. I think about what I would do if it full mouth locked down on me. The flip side of that is convincing the dog you're scared, but that's easier

Hunter, CWDC UScA Helper
Beschützer des Jägers v.d. Sportwaffen
Katya v. Hügelblick
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen
Arya v. Allrothaus

Last edited by hunterisgreat; 03-24-2012 at 06:34 PM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thanks, I will have to work on that. I am sure some of this will come with experience. It is just frustrating to me. I want to be the best helper in the history of helpers. Is that so much to ask?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 09:30 PM
Crowned Member

Do you have a good mentor or mentors...they can help you during the sessions and tell you when to reward, when to retreat. And working on experienced safe dogs to learn from, instead of the dog learning with you may help.
The sport needs more helpers and I would think any one of the reputable ones would be more than willing to help you with your goal. Travel to seminars if possible, or at least visit some clubs with the good helpers training.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18

Last edited by onyx'girl; 03-24-2012 at 09:33 PM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
Do you have a good mentor or mentors...they can help you during the sessions and tell you when to reward, when to retreat. And working on experienced safe dogs to learn from, instead of the dog learning with you may help.
The sport needs more helpers and I would think any one of the reputable ones would be more than willing to help you with your goal. Travel to seminars if possible, or at least visit some clubs with the good helpers training.
I do have some good mentors. Just about every male in my club is some level of helper. I am the newest by at least a year. They have been coaching me through the process but I was just wondering some tricks that the experienced helpers on this forum use. I am also new to the sport so I am learning every aspect. I do plan on going to some seminars when I hear of them around my area. I would also like to check out some other clubs as well. I will actually be around Phoenix, Az next month and would love to check out a club there. Anyone in a club near there?

Thank you for your input.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 06:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycobraracr View Post
I want to be the best helper in the history of helpers.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 06:59 PM
Banned

Check out Jim Laubmeier in AZ. He is an excellent teacher and has a lot of championship level trials. Jim will help you be the best helper in the history of helpers.

ContactFR

Last edited by Fast; 03-25-2012 at 07:02 PM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast View Post
Check out Jim Laubmeier in AZ. He is an excellent teacher and has a lot of championship level trials. If Jim is able to he will help you, he's just that kind of guy.

ContactFR
Thanks! I will look into him, he looks to be in the area I will be. I contacted Scottsdale Schutzhund Club and plan on visiting them while I am there.

Last edited by mycobraracr; 03-25-2012 at 07:06 PM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 07:05 PM
Master Member

Im in the Phoenix Schutzhund Club in Peoria and youd be welcomed to stop by. We train Tuesday, Thursday nights and Saturday, Sunday mornings.

www.rescuedrover.com
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaina View Post
Im in the Phoenix Schutzhund Club in Peoria and youd be welcomed to stop by. We train Tuesday, Thursday nights and Saturday, Sunday mornings.
Thank you! I will definitely do that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page