German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Schutzhund/IPO Training (https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/schutzhund-ipo-training/)
-   -   Novice helper needs help (https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/schutzhund-ipo-training/179386-novice-helper-needs-help.html)

mycobraracr 03-24-2012 06:12 PM

Novice helper needs help

163 Attachment(s)
I am having trouble getting some of the dogs to take me serious. What are some things you do to "rev-up" the dogs and be intimidating? Today not only did I get beat up but, some of the dogs would be in a bark and hold but be looking all around because they didn't feel threatened by me. Some of the dogs were also getting a little dirty and trying to "punk" me because they knew I am new.

Any suggestions other than more experience. I already know I need that. Thanks for all your help.

hunterisgreat 03-24-2012 06:29 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Those things could happen for a variety of reasons (usually from handlers making too much pressure during the B&H), but to be more threatening you can't "fake it". Pretend the dog is a guy across the bar saying nasty things about your mom/friend/wife/whatever. The way you posture at him is the same way you posture to a dog. Trying to act will be seen right through. I actually think about hurting the dog. I think about what I would do if it full mouth locked down on me. The flip side of that is convincing the dog you're scared, but that's easier

mycobraracr 03-24-2012 09:24 PM

163 Attachment(s)
Thanks, I will have to work on that. I am sure some of this will come with experience. It is just frustrating to me. I want to be the best helper in the history of helpers. Is that so much to ask? :)

onyx'girl 03-24-2012 09:30 PM

Do you have a good mentor or mentors...they can help you during the sessions and tell you when to reward, when to retreat. And working on experienced safe dogs to learn from, instead of the dog learning with you may help.
The sport needs more helpers and I would think any one of the reputable ones would be more than willing to help you with your goal. Travel to seminars if possible, or at least visit some clubs with the good helpers training.

mycobraracr 03-24-2012 10:00 PM

163 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by onyx'girl (Post 2437849)
Do you have a good mentor or mentors...they can help you during the sessions and tell you when to reward, when to retreat. And working on experienced safe dogs to learn from, instead of the dog learning with you may help.
The sport needs more helpers and I would think any one of the reputable ones would be more than willing to help you with your goal. Travel to seminars if possible, or at least visit some clubs with the good helpers training.

I do have some good mentors. Just about every male in my club is some level of helper. I am the newest by at least a year. They have been coaching me through the process but I was just wondering some tricks that the experienced helpers on this forum use. I am also new to the sport so I am learning every aspect. I do plan on going to some seminars when I hear of them around my area. I would also like to check out some other clubs as well. I will actually be around Phoenix, Az next month and would love to check out a club there. Anyone in a club near there?

Thank you for your input.

Fast 03-25-2012 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mycobraracr (Post 2437840)
I want to be the best helper in the history of helpers.

:cool::cool::cool::cool:

Fast 03-25-2012 06:59 PM

Check out Jim Laubmeier in AZ. He is an excellent teacher and has a lot of championship level trials. Jim will help you be the best helper in the history of helpers.

ContactFR

mycobraracr 03-25-2012 07:02 PM

163 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fast (Post 2438641)
Check out Jim Laubmeier in AZ. He is an excellent teacher and has a lot of championship level trials. If Jim is able to he will help you, he's just that kind of guy.

ContactFR

Thanks! I will look into him, he looks to be in the area I will be. I contacted Scottsdale Schutzhund Club and plan on visiting them while I am there.

Shaina 03-25-2012 07:05 PM

Im in the Phoenix Schutzhund Club in Peoria and youd be welcomed to stop by. We train Tuesday, Thursday nights and Saturday, Sunday mornings.

mycobraracr 03-25-2012 07:17 PM

163 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaina (Post 2438646)
Im in the Phoenix Schutzhund Club in Peoria and youd be welcomed to stop by. We train Tuesday, Thursday nights and Saturday, Sunday mornings.

Thank you! I will definitely do that.