Schutzhund in Germany 1936 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Schutzhund in Germany 1936

Came across this video on Youtube & thought it was interesting. I have no idea of the accuracy of the date.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 10:21 PM
Master Member

I've seen this before. I wonder what level these dogs were. Horrible grips and coming off the sleeve? Either this was a "hobby" club, or the breed or training has come a long way.

Cinzar's Dark Shadow Too (Ruger) CGC, RN 1/8/05
SG Quinn Z Old Farm (Cues) IPO 3, KKL 6/7/09
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 10:45 PM

Haha that's cool. History is always fascinating to me.

What the heck is that fake doggy on a plank?? Dragged with a leash! Lol
What are those gun shots for? In the line-up. What were the dogs suppose to be doing or not suppose to be doing? That is part of this sport?
And how do they get up the high walls...doesn't hurt when they come down...the impact or pressure when they hit the ground...

That's neat anyway to see that back then. Those were my Opa's times. Geez that is a long time ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 11:07 PM
Master Member

"What the heck is that fake doggy on a plank?? Dragged with a leash! Lol
What are those gun shots for? In the line-up. What were the dogs suppose to be doing or not suppose to be doing? That is part of this sport?
And how do they get up the high walls...doesn't hurt when they come down...the impact or pressure when they hit the ground..."

Had the same questions here. Did understand the beer at the end of the day part though! : )
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 11:12 PM
Crowned Member

My friend who comes from there, and was there during WWII and after, told me that was what it was like, right down to going to the beer garden afterwards. I thought the dogs looked great, people were having a good time, and I like that there were women in the group as well.

Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 12:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindy_s View Post
Horrible grips and coming off the sleeve? Either this was a "hobby" club, or the breed or training has come a long way.
Oh no Cindy, haven't you read on this forum a million times how the dogs of yesteryear and their training were so much than the dogs of today? Can't you see that? Surely your eyes are telling you fibs.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 10:04 AM
Crowned Member

My Opa too, who participated in SchH at that time....

They really enjoyed the dogs and the camraderie.

My other Opa was into the horses and belonged to a club. He participated in jumping competitions.

They would have parties and really fun time with neighbors and friends who also belonged to the clubs.

We're so darn serious so SUPER competitive that I think it takes the fun out of many things now-a-days, or so it seems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen&Bear View Post
Haha that's cool. History is always fascinating to me.

What the heck is that fake doggy on a plank?? Dragged with a leash! Lol
And how do they get up the high walls...doesn't hurt when they come down...the impact or pressure when they hit the ground...

That's neat anyway to see that back then. Those were my Opa's times. Geez that is a long time ago.

Last edited by Gwenhwyfair; 03-12-2012 at 10:08 AM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 10:53 AM
Master Member

Its crazy how very similar, yet so much more organized Schutzhund has become since those days. Such a fun watch.

Then it always leaves me wondering. With the skill of trainers today, could we go back in time and make those dogs (our dogs ancestors) look as good in the phases as we do our own dogs? Or since they were so new to the breed, is that just what those dogs were like back then?

Have we improved the breed since 1936? Have we improved the confidence, stamina, drives and working ability since then?

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older and more complete than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear."
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 08:32 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast View Post
Oh no Cindy, haven't you read on this forum a million times how the dogs of yesteryear and their training were so much than the dogs of today? Can't you see that? Surely your eyes are telling you fibs.

Cinzar's Dark Shadow Too (Ruger) CGC, RN 1/8/05
SG Quinn Z Old Farm (Cues) IPO 3, KKL 6/7/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page