completely scared off - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 07:49 AM Thread Starter

completely scared off

the pup and i went to visit/watch training at a local club yesterday and we saw...

constant, HARD jerking on prongs,
yelling,
kicking,
pulling ears,
yelping from shock collars,
etc.

i just finished reading sheila booth's purely positive training and needless to say what we saw was horrible. most of this was done by the director of the club during the obidience stuff and she wonders why one of her four dogs pulled, twisted, fought and would not sit as they were about to begin bite work. i understand that this is "old school" training and these dogs need to be tough, but i won't be going back to this club. **removed by Admin**... is this training typical at a lot of the smaller clubs? am i just naive? i have no experience training schutzhund but was very interested until yesterday. we might have to find a new sport...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 08:26 AM
Crowned Member

That's too bad. Maybe there's another club nearby.
post #3 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 08:29 AM
Crowned Member

If you're very interested don't let one person/one bad experience make up your mind...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

just to clarify...

i am not bashing this clubs methods. to each his own. i just don't want to train my pup this way. i don't plan on him doing police work, etc. just trying to find something fun for us to do together.
post #5 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 08:45 AM

I have no experience in Schutzhund training, but I did observe some of it at a place in Michigan. It was nothing like you have described. The dogs seemed to be having a positive experience. I wouldn't give up on it, just keep looking for a club that is compatible with your views on dog training.

My daughter had a foster pup for a year, and we went to a few different places before we found one that was a good match for us for obedience classes.
post #6 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 08:50 AM
Crowned Member

Not all Schutzhund trainers use those methods! Keep looking for a club that fits with you! My trainer does not..in fact...she'll ask you to leave and not come back if she sees you abusing your dog.

post #7 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 09:00 AM
Crowned Member

Did you ask why they were doing certain things?
Sometimes clubs won't do their "normal" training when guests are present.

I've seen most of what you described in a normal day of training, except the kicking isn't the norm.
I don't agree with much of it, and won't subject my dog to techniques that are not fair. But to a casual observer the training we do may seem harsh. I'm not upholding the club or their training techniques, but understanding/asking questions may help you to see the whys/whatfor's and then judge whether it was over the top.
I've seen a dog scream on electric, to bring him to go faster on the retrieve, but it wasn't the electric that was making him scream, it was his silly crazy mind! He has enthusiasm and his control isn't always balanced To someone not knowing the dog, they may think he was being fried.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #8 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 10:17 AM
Master Member

Send a message via Yahoo to VonKromeHaus
I would check out some other clubs. Don't be afraid to ask questions and chat with people. It may give a new light on things being done. I have never seen kicking but have seen the other stuff. We all try to be fair to our dogs, some people just train different than others, doesn't mean it is right or wrong. Just different than the you/me/others would want to train. Sometimes asking questions clears up some confusion about certain things!

Tululajhs Red Chrome Kahpone~AST/APBT~CGC TT BH~RIP
Osyrius SilverChrome GTOVonMarionHaus~GSD~CGC DDJ RN
WBBs BleauChromeLady of TheCopa~APBT~STARR CGC
post #9 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 10:25 AM
Crowned Member

That's to bad. When I went to visit our local PSA club I saw a lot of happy, willing dogs. I did see some prongs, but no corrections harder than what I've delivered in our "95% positive" obedience class. One dog was wearing an e-collar for some work at a distance from the handler, but again the dog was happy and engaged. I never knew if they used the e-collar or not.

I will say that if you're set on using 100% positive training, Schutzhund may not be the sport for you. Part of the protection aspect involves putting the dogs in stressful situations.

- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #10 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

corrections are fine, stress is fine...

but this was beat the dog down until he does what you want (in the obedience not bite work) and from my perspective it wasn't working. the other members seemed a bit more laid back and more acceptable style. the problem was this was the director of the club doing these things...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page