Do you change things up? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Do you change things up?

I've noticed some handlers resist when I pick up up my synthetic covered sleeve, or my right arm sleeve, or a sleeve with a leather cover. I believe it helps generalization in the dog and my dogs are constantly exposed to strange scenerios. Everyone else at the club resists. I use the same line of thought in bark and holds (do them in the house, and everywhere else), etc. thoughts?

Hunter, CWDC UScA Helper
Beschützer des Jägers v.d. Sportwaffen
Katya v. Hügelblick
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen
Arya v. Allrothaus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 07:09 PM
Crowned Member

We trained last weekend with a young 8 month old who was not going to do a transition to the intermediate from the puppy sleeve. So the helper gave him several different choices to bite...even a suit. It helped him, and in his last session, he was biting, carrying the sleeve proudly.
If a dog is on one thing all the time, that isn't what I'd want.
H&B's~ IMO should be done everywhere, and not introduced in a blind. The closed blind is intimidating for beginners, and there won't be a consistent bark if started that way.
I love to see dogs run up hay bales, or through obstructions to get to the helper, builds confidence and shows their power.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18

Last edited by onyx'girl; 03-07-2012 at 07:12 PM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 07:14 PM
Crowned Member

We use many different sleeves including hidden sleeves.

We also train in different locations and sufaces.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 07:14 PM
Crowned Member

For me and my dogs, a different sleeve cover would hardly be considered a "strange scenario", lol. Yes we mix it up all the time and are often involved in half a dozen different types of sports at a time including multiple types of protection work with totally different equipment and what is being evaluated for titles.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

My dogs will bite anything... But I believe that's a product of exposure. I see lots of dogs confused bc the cover is synthetic or French linen

Hunter, CWDC UScA Helper
Beschützer des Jägers v.d. Sportwaffen
Katya v. Hügelblick
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen
Arya v. Allrothaus
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 07:20 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Yes, very common in our club at least to change locations for working barking or H&B, sometimes changing sleeves, and a few of us have done suit work. Routine is boring for us and very boring for the dogs.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 07:25 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterisgreat View Post
My dogs will bite anything... But I believe that's a product of exposure. I see lots of dogs confused bc the cover is synthetic or French linen
I think it depends on the dog too. I have one dog that will simply get to a point where he just won't work anymore if it's all boring and routine, no real threat, already figured it all out, bla bla bla. This has its pros and cons, but it is what it is. He works best when on edge...new places, strange surfaces, weird attacks, wearing a basket muzzle and making contact. Not just switching up the equipment and doing the same exercises but really giving him something to think about. With this dog there *has* to be exposure because of who he is, not just vice versa. My other dog honestly would be happy just doing SchH stuff all the time but I cross-train so he does to.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 07:47 PM
Master Member

Send a message via Yahoo to VonKromeHaus
I cross train and introduce a lot of different bite surfaces. It hasn't hurt us yet. I also do H&Bs all over, it helps the dog IMHO get the exercise down pat and be comfortable with doing them in any situation!

Tululajhs Red Chrome Kahpone~AST/APBT~CGC TT BH~RIP
Osyrius SilverChrome GTOVonMarionHaus~GSD~CGC DDJ RN
WBBs BleauChromeLady of TheCopa~APBT~STARR CGC
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 07:52 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
What do you mean by "confused"?

The bite is a product of genetics. If the dog "bites" and has the heart for protection, they will bite anything, without hesitation. It has never occurred to me to change the bite surface . Might work on a suit but it is not because I want my dog to bite a different type of fabric. lol. Maybe I am not understanding what you are saying.

Anne

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 08:04 PM
Elite Member

I think bite environment is more important than bite surface. For example, training on a different field/location, training at night versus daylight. We only change the surface if there is a problem, for example a leather sleeve if the grip is not hard and the dog comes off or right hand sleeve if the dog becomes sleeve oriented etc etc. Confident, balanced dogs do not have a problem if any of the above variables are changed.

Gnash von den Sportwaffen IPO3x2, AD, HOT
Brimwylf Creasy BH, HOT

Last edited by Packen; 03-07-2012 at 08:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page