Schutzhund Training - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

Schutzhund Training

It sounds pretty strict, but kind of how I'd like to train Simba. Will this be the type of training that turns him into mainly a protection dog, or will he still be loveable and play with me like a "family dog." ?

~ Alana

Puppy Loves:
Simba - December 16th, 2011
Bingo - March 16th, 2004
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 10:36 AM

If your dog has the proper temperament he can still be a nice family dog. Schutzhund is a sport so not necessarily protection dogs. What lines is your puppy from?
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Also, am I able to choose a certain course to do? I see there's 3 training types, but I'm more for the obedience training. Tracking seems cool too, but it's not something I would use, nor do I want Simba to compete in the sport.

Lines as in specific breed? He's a German Shepherd Chocolate Lab mix.

~ Alana

Puppy Loves:
Bingo - March 16th, 2004
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 11:09 AM

Yes you can choose to do just the ob portions. Mix breeds can compete in Schutzhund especially if you are just thinking the ob. For the protection aspect the dog must have specific drives and temperament. With a mix breed you would be less likely to find the proper temperament and drives but not at all unheard of. If you do decide you want to do more than ob your club would be able to tell you what your dog is capable of.

The best is to join a club I think most clubs would be fine if someone just wanted to do ob.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Cool thanks =) There's several within an hour or less driving distance from me. What do you guys think the best age to start would be?

I'm trying not to take Simba out til his second set of shots and deworming (12 weeks) - but thereafter, I should be fine and worry less about taking him to the Schutzhund club?

~ Alana

Puppy Loves:
Bingo - March 16th, 2004
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 11:36 AM
Banned

Take him to the club now and get him tested. They will tell you if its worth your while continuing. Schutzhund obedience is not much different from AKC obedience, so if all you want is that part you can probably find what you're looking for in any obedience class.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 12:05 PM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

The only way to really get a good feel for SchH, and find out if your dog has the temperament for it, is to visit some clubs and get him evaluated.

To warn you though, some SchH clubs will be biased against a mixed breed, especially when one of the mixes (Lab) is not one that typically has the temperament for SchH.

If you're main interest is obedience though, SchH is probably not the activity for you. While yes it is possible to title in just the obedience phase, that is something that is typically done with a dog not yet ready for all 3 phases, or maybe a retired dog. It isn't intended to be the end goal. SchH is a 3 phase sport, and most clubs are going to want member who are interested in SchH... all of it, all 3 phases.. and who want to participate in all 3 and have a dog suitable for all 3.

This isn't elitest, though it can seem that way, it's simply pragmatic. There are usually more people wanting to do SchH than there are clubs able to work with them. Whereas there are many other venues where someone wanting to just do obedience can do obedience (for a lot less cost and time committment as well). So it just makes sense to steer those with an interest in obedience toward trainers and clubs that focus on that, and keep the SchH club membership slots open to those who really want to do SchH.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 12:48 PM
Elite Member

On the other hand, clubs like ours offer a lower priced membership for those who just want to do obedience or tracking. Since this type of member is not a drain on helpers and bitework time, we are great with this type of member. They come only to the first part of practice when we do obedience and to our tracking gatherings. We currently have 4 people with this type of membership. One has an older WL GSD girl with some joint issues, but she loves to track and the owners like the club. Another is a girl who has a GSD and wants to do a BH, she is in college so time is limited, but she can work with us during obedience when she can and can do her training at school. Another has a mixed boxer/pitty and the dog doesn't really like to bite, his plan is to get a WL shepherd in a year or so but in the meantime he wants to keep learning with the mix. And the last is a girl with a GSD that she got from a pet store that has no papers but she wants to do obedience with other GSDs and also get his BH (with a PAL number from AKC). All of them also are thinking it might be fun to do AKC obedience as well.
The way we see it those people are great ambassadors for the sport overall, they get out there with really well trained dogs and when people ask where they train they just love to talk about the Schutzhund club.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 02:14 PM
Knighted Member

Chris makes a good point. Not to say all clubs are like this, but I've been to a couple where you would definitely get a lot of flack for having a mix. Some clubs are oriented towards working dogs and others towards showlines. I've heard some nasty comments at a club or two about my showlines (and showlines in general). Just to warn you about what you might experience. Just go observe, start with obedience and reevaluate bitework after a couple of visits. Like others said, protection phase requires certain skills that might be difficult for a mix.

Ash
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Dog racism pretty much? Well thanks for the input guys, I'd hate to waste my time. I'm not done looking. But all the help is great again.

~ Alana

Puppy Loves:
Bingo - March 16th, 2004
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page