Questions regarding Club Life - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Questions regarding Club Life

I would like to know more about the differences between German and the US Clubs.

If you are a member of the Schutzhund Club. How many dogs are you allowed to work?

Say you own three dogs. You want to do IPO Sport with one or two of them, with the third one just Obedience and FH.

Would you be allowed to do that? Could you pull out all your dogs at the training sessions and work them individually as you want them to? At least in Obedience?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 10:02 AM
Crowned Member

In my current club someone has 3 dogs-2 of them are already trained and I think we are allowed to use the field on non-training days I like the field at work just as well and you can do tracking on your own in any club Some clubs would be fine-with working 3 dogs
post #3 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 10:08 AM
Crowned Member

Depends on the group. To me what makes the most sense is working one dog until it's titled, then working 2, *maybe* 3 dogs. I've seen some clubs that have this requirement and think it's fair. Nikon had several titles when I got Pan and now I work both dogs. Sometimes I bring my mutt Coke to socialize and do a few minutes of obedience but only in a corner and I don't require an actual "turn" (like I don't care if the TD is helping club dogs and not me). Some places I pay per dog, some I pay a flat fee.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Banned

My problem is that I live in the middle of a waste land. Seriously, not even the AKC Club is running any kind of classes. They are only active during the summer time. There is absolutely NOTHING out here.

Working my dogs alone is always an option but you only get so far.

I honestly miss the German Clubs where you pay 20 Euros per year, and every single class is open to you. No matter if it is Agility, Obedience, SchH... everything is open and you can attend as you wish. If you don't want to, you don't have to be part of the Club Life, nobody makes you. As long as you are a paying member you can be there or not.

We need something in Watertown. There are Police K9 Handlers, Military K9 Handlers, I don't understand why there is absolutely NO working dog Club out here with all that military and police k9 handling...usually these guys work on AND off the job. Pretty much any police k9 handler I know from Germany is a Schutzhund Person on top of it and competes in their free time.

Last edited by Mrs.K; 01-20-2012 at 10:24 AM.
post #5 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 10:23 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

In our club you are allowed to work only 1 dog until you have taken a raw dog to SchH/IPO 1. After that we do not have a limit as long as the person is making progress and actually training their dogs. We do have a waiver system for someone to work a second dog if they have not met the titling requirement, but one of the two must be close to titling. This has been allowed once. Training more than one dog at a time to title requires a tremendous amount of time and most people can not do this. Heck, many don't have the time or dedication to work one. I am currently working 4 dogs in tracking and 3 in IPO though Elena isn't doing any bitework. Vala comes out at times to work helpers and to get a bite.

If we have the room, a person that hasn't titled a dog can track more than one dog. I (as TD) have been pretty lenient about that.

You would not be able to work more than one dog in our club.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 TR3 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #6 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 10:29 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.K View Post

I honestly miss the German Clubs where you pay 20 Euros per year, and every single class is open to you. No matter if it is Agility, Obedience, SchH... everything is open and you can attend as you wish. If you don't want to, you don't have to be part of the Club Life, nobody makes you. As long as you are a paying member you can be there or not.
Well at my regular training place (not Schutzhund club) they don't care how many dogs you have. You sign up per class, per dog. So I can have five dogs and sign each one up for a different class if I want to. For agility, obedience, rally, CGC, etc I personally can't realistically work two dogs in one class but they don't care if, say, I have a puppy in Beginners from 6-7pm and then work Nikon in Advanced Agility from 7-8pm or something like that. But most non-SchH training type places function more like a "class" than a "club". Some are clubs that have dues and discounts for club members but you almost always pay some amount per dog, per class. Usually Schutzhund is separate. A few facility house regular classes and a SchH club but normally the "membership" is separate.
post #7 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Banned

See, that is what I don't like. I want to make a decision for myself, whom I am going to work and whom I am not going to work as long as I'm a paying Club Member and dedicated to the Club.

There is just way too many restricting rules over here and I just don't like how they interfere with my personal choices.
post #8 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
Well at my regular training place (not Schutzhund club) they don't care how many dogs you have. You sign up per class, per dog. So I can have five dogs and sign each one up for a different class if I want to. For agility, obedience, rally, CGC, etc I personally can't realistically work two dogs in one class but they don't care if, say, I have a puppy in Beginners from 6-7pm and then work Nikon in Advanced Agility from 7-8pm or something like that. But most non-SchH training type places function more like a "class" than a "club". Some are clubs that have dues and discounts for club members but you almost always pay some amount per dog, per class. Usually Schutzhund is separate. A few facility house regular classes and a SchH club but normally the "membership" is separate.
That is exactly what I'm missing out here.

In Germany I had to switch between Zenzy and Yukon. First half I worked Yukon, then I quickly switched out the dogs. It was a hazzle but at least I got to work them each.

Right now, Yukon is missing out big time. Last weekend he was sitting in the car for over 15 hours in the minus digits and only got out for five minutes to pee and poop. yeah, he's there but he's too young to not get anything to do at all.

I don't want to title him in SchH but at least putting the BH on him shouldn't be an issue but you still need somebody to look and correct you. If you can't even do that in your own Club with your own people than I really don't want to be a member of that Club anyways.
post #9 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 10:52 AM
Crowned Member

Depends on the club I guess. My personal preference is that within a Schutzhund club we have members committed to Schutzhund which means all three phases and not just obedience or just tracking or this or that with a few different dogs. We've had a few people try that and have been open to it in the past and none of those people lasted more than a month. It just wasn't worth their time, money, and travel and despite being obsessed about trying it at the beginning, it very quickly became clear that Schutzhund doesn't work with just one or two phases if that's your main dog and your main goal. We also give priority to the dogs closest to a trial. So, like in the fall before my trial, me and my friend would go first because we were doing the Schutzhund trial, then those doing their BHs would go, then we'd work our puppies, and then we'd do any retired, non-SchH, or guest dogs. The club shows the most support and commitment to those members that have shown the most commitment with their dogs, meaning training regularly in all three phases and either titling or actively working towards that goal (with a trial date planned, not just "I want to eventually title...."). I'm not saying I'm right, but with a limited number of clubs and many clubs struggling with cost, travel, lack of helperwork, this is often how it has to be.
post #10 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 10:58 AM
Knighted Member

Liesje, what kind of clubs are you in besides Schutzhund? I'm just curious because I know there are a lot of different sorts of clubs out there and I'm trying to research them.

Viking vom Zeder-Kamme (11/19/2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page