BH - Question about traffic portion - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

BH - Question about traffic portion

Just curious as Stark will be going for his BH very soon.

During the traffic portion when you place your dog and walk away and they bring out either inline skaters, skateboards, bikes, etc... if your dog barks, does that automatically mean a fail?

Stark is fine with inline skates, bikes, etc... EXCEPT skateboards - which thanks to my little cousins is a learned behaviour.

They use to (and still do - up until last summer) ride by him calling his name, trying to get him to chase them. Also they have tried to get him to ride on one which to Stark now means they are the funnest thing in the world! If we are walking and one goes by, he perks up and gets very excited, sometimes he barks (not aggressive in the least just very excited).

I was just wondering if they would actually look at the dogs body language before placing a "grade" or if he barks, he's done?

I AM working on this by the way.. LOL.

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 11:26 PM
Crowned Member

I doubt a judge will have someone come out on a skateboard...usually the training field location is where they have the traffic portion and dirt lane/skateboard, inline skates are not compatible. Unless the judge has lots of time on hand, then they try to get this part over quickly, and won't travel to find a place to test. So whatever is convenient at the location, bike, vehicle, jogger, dogs passing is the test.
Stark living in the city like he does should pass this part easily!

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thanks Jane!

I was kinda thinking along the lines of a skateboarder doing tricks infront of the dogs for a few minutes... LMAO!

As the date approaches, I am getting more and more nervous.. especially since my entry form is filled out and waiting to be sent in Monday!

XX z Weberhaus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-15-2012, 12:00 AM
Crowned Member

As far as I know they are looking for obvious faults, like the dog cowering, or the dog gnawing through the leash to get at someone type aggression. Nikon barked on and off during his traffic test but was never out of control or actually flipping out.

I guess under the new rules the dog has to tolerate being touched. Luckily Pan is super friendly!
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-15-2012, 09:11 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Every judge is different, but all of the traffic portions I have seen or done are partly done on the road. Car drives by, maybe honks horn. Jogger and person on bike follow. I have seen quads. During this part the dog is on leash walking with its handler. I have never seen the dog left alone while the traffic goes by even with the most anal judge. The dog is then tied up, handler goes out of sight, someone walks by with a neutral dog, judge may go and stand by dog. In three BH this is where the judges have touched my dogs. One just brushed his foot against the dog's foot. The other two the judge lightly brushed the dog's cheek with his clipboard. I have seen the foot touch on other occasions.

I would practice having your dog down while a large group of people circle and then crowd him. Some dogs get a bit uncomfortable the first time.

Remember, this is only a BH. It is not life or death. You are out there having fun with your dog. No matter pass or fail you will still love your dog and you will still wake up the next morning.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 TR3 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-15-2012, 10:50 AM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

I haven't seen many traffic portion tests so far - we may have one trial a year here, if that. I never thought about a dog barking at something, so didn't know if that is okay or not.

Both Keeta and Gryff did their BH under Doug Deacon, and so far he has always had us go somewhere busy away from the club grounds for the traffic portion test. With Keeta, we drove to a gas station/coffee shop/convenience store on the highway. It was a VERY busy spot. He had us walk around the parking lot and the gas pumps as cars came and went. One person was designated as the jogger and jogged past each dog. We walked by the main entrance of the store, with someone designated to open the door and walk out of the store as we went by. Off the side of the parking lot, he had us heel into a circle of people, sit our dog, and go around and shake hands with everyone. Then walking down a side street with the bicyclist going by, ringing the bell, and did the tieing up the dog and going out of sight, and had two or three dogs walk by - I was sure that Keeta was going to react to the dogs walking by, but she was so wondering what the heck was going on that she did not.

It was very informal, we were allowed to talk to our dogs, give repeat commands, help them for the sit, and so on. Keeta, without a prong and without a formal foos command, pulled like crazy while walking and that was okay too. I have often heard that Doug does a "good" BH.

Our club grounds is on Airport land, so for Gryffon's traffic portion, we went out to the main terminal, and did our traffic portion in front and around the main entrance. We get participants and spectators from the trial to come along and help in the traffic portion phase, and a group of people were instructed to stand in a group and talk loudly and excitedly. (some group members were acting a tad too excited, LOL). Again, we individually had to walk into the group, sit our dogs, and go around and shake hands and greet everyone. The rest of the test was similar to how Keeta's was set up.

Some of the passerby's stopped and watched, and really enjoyed the show. They were asking if this was a selection test for police dogs.

Other traffic portions I've seen and heard about were done on our club grounds - I've never heard or a dog failing the traffic portion test - I wonder if anyone has seen a dog fail the traffic portion, and what caused it to fail?

Wanted to add, when I had to hide out of sight for Gryff's test, I hid so well, they didn't know where I was, and I couldn't hear them calling me to come and pick Gryffon up - so that was pretty funny, joking about how I didn't want my dog anymore and someone else can take him. Like Lisa said, it's something fun to do with your dog, and a very informal test, have fun with it.

Lucia

2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015

Last edited by Castlemaid; 01-15-2012 at 10:54 AM.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-15-2012, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhczth View Post
Every judge is different, but all of the traffic portions I have seen or done are partly done on the road. Car drives by, maybe honks horn. Jogger and person on bike follow. I have seen quads. During this part the dog is on leash walking with its handler. I have never seen the dog left alone while the traffic goes by even with the most anal judge. The dog is then tied up, handler goes out of sight, someone walks by with a neutral dog, judge may go and stand by dog. In three BH this is where the judges have touched my dogs. One just brushed his foot against the dog's foot. The other two the judge lightly brushed the dog's cheek with his clipboard. I have seen the foot touch on other occasions.

I would practice having your dog down while a large group of people circle and then crowd him. Some dogs get a bit uncomfortable the first time.

Remember, this is only a BH. It is not life or death. You are out there having fun with your dog. No matter pass or fail you will still love your dog and you will still wake up the next morning.
Lisa, living in the middle of the city in a highrise apartment taking elevators with large groups of people, etc.. I don't think that will be an issue.

Sounds like Stark might ACTUALLY pass!

XX z Weberhaus
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-15-2012, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlemaid View Post
I haven't seen many traffic portion tests so far - we may have one trial a year here, if that. I never thought about a dog barking at something, so didn't know if that is okay or not.

Both Keeta and Gryff did their BH under Doug Deacon, and so far he has always had us go somewhere busy away from the club grounds for the traffic portion test. With Keeta, we drove to a gas station/coffee shop/convenience store on the highway. It was a VERY busy spot. He had us walk around the parking lot and the gas pumps as cars came and went. One person was designated as the jogger and jogged past each dog. We walked by the main entrance of the store, with someone designated to open the door and walk out of the store as we went by. Off the side of the parking lot, he had us heel into a circle of people, sit our dog, and go around and shake hands with everyone. Then walking down a side street with the bicyclist going by, ringing the bell, and did the tieing up the dog and going out of sight, and had two or three dogs walk by - I was sure that Keeta was going to react to the dogs walking by, but she was so wondering what the heck was going on that she did not.

It was very informal, we were allowed to talk to our dogs, give repeat commands, help them for the sit, and so on. Keeta, without a prong and without a formal foos command, pulled like crazy while walking and that was okay too. I have often heard that Doug does a "good" BH.

Our club grounds is on Airport land, so for Gryffon's traffic portion, we went out to the main terminal, and did our traffic portion in front and around the main entrance. We get participants and spectators from the trial to come along and help in the traffic portion phase, and a group of people were instructed to stand in a group and talk loudly and excitedly. (some group members were acting a tad too excited, LOL). Again, we individually had to walk into the group, sit our dogs, and go around and shake hands and greet everyone. The rest of the test was similar to how Keeta's was set up.

Some of the passerby's stopped and watched, and really enjoyed the show. They were asking if this was a selection test for police dogs.

Other traffic portions I've seen and heard about were done on our club grounds - I've never heard or a dog failing the traffic portion test - I wonder if anyone has seen a dog fail the traffic portion, and what caused it to fail?

Wanted to add, when I had to hide out of sight for Gryff's test, I hid so well, they didn't know where I was, and I couldn't hear them calling me to come and pick Gryffon up - so that was pretty funny, joking about how I didn't want my dog anymore and someone else can take him. Like Lisa said, it's something fun to do with your dog, and a very informal test, have fun with it.
Thanks!

We also have grounds at an airport, right next to the take off pad and a few hangers, so lots of people, noise, etc.. happening during training and then our other training grounds is on a horse farm - tones of smells.

I believe (if nothing changes) our judge will be Jim Chrisp. I have talked to a GSSCC rep and they give him high praise so that makes me feel a bit at ease.

XX z Weberhaus
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-15-2012, 03:22 PM
Crowned Member

Nikon's traffic portion went like this....

First everyone got in a line and walked our dogs around for a bit, really close to each other. They weren't supposed to "fuss" but just walk like going for a walk. Then we walked them over to a line of trees and everyone tied their dog to a tree and hid out of sight. My friend was told to keep her dog. While we were out of sight, she walked her dog past the line of dogs and then tied him on the end and joined us. The judge had a jogger, a honking car, and a bike with a horn go past the line of dogs. Then we were called out and told to untie the dogs and walk them in a line past the judge once more and that was it. Also after we checked in with the judge for the obedience part, before starting the obedience he had us walk our dogs in a figure eight around two large men.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-15-2012, 03:31 PM

http://www.gsscc.ca/media/1981/11%20...20mar08new.pdf

not sure if this helps but this is what Canada's SchH Club uses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page