direction of down on vorhaus - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

direction of down on vorhaus

I hear many people (and read many posts on this forum) whose opinion is that the dog should down facing the direction he was sent-out.

I know it's a matter of opinion, but I really like the way the dog swings around, stops and downs facing the handler. I don't know why I like it, I just do.

I was wondering if someone can explain to me if functionally there is an advantage to laying down facing the direction of the vorhaus or if it's simply a matter of opinion. If there is a reason why facing one way is better than the other what is it?

Honestly, I'm going to keep liking what I like of course but I'm really curious as I learn about the different exercises and what they are supposed to "show" about the dog...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 06:41 PM
Crowned Member

I think most dogs automatically down facing their handler...it's natural. I'd rather have my dog turn too, that way they can look to me for the next command.

Maybe the mindset of the down facing the sendout is that it is done so fast when commanded, showing the dog is completely obedient to the handler?

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 06:51 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
I think most dogs automatically down facing their handler...it's natural. I'd rather have my dog turn too, that way they can look to me for the next command.

Maybe the mindset of the down facing the sendout is that it is done so fast when commanded, showing the dog is completely obedient to the handler?
That's also what I always thought the point was. That if the command is given and the dog reacts immediately, then the dog would technically still be facing the same direction that it came from.

I think the vast majority of dogs are going to turn around because that's where their handler, who will be producing the reward, is.

Feuergarten German Shepherds

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 07:33 PM
Knighted Member

I haven't been able to get my boy to face forward. He has to face me otherwise he breaks the down. If he does face forward, he turns his head to look at me so that might be defeating the whole point

Ash

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 07:38 PM
Banned

It's "Voraus", not Vorhaus

Quote:
I know it's a matter of opinion, but I really like the way the dog swings around, stops and downs facing the handler. I don't know why I like it, I just do.
Because it's frickin awesome when a dog is in full speed, swings around and slides into a down. It's pure ACTION!

We do it via the platform and she's automatically facing me, mostly because that is what she learned through the crate games.

I am working on the directionals according to the RH title, she also knows the "right" command and goes automatically into a down when she hits the platform and she's facing me every time.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 10:27 PM
Crowned Member

Regardless of our opinions, a dog can face the handler and receive full points because my friend's dog did just that and there were no deductions for the exercise. I personally like the dog facing me.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 11:01 PM
Master Member

As far as I know it makes no difference point wise as long as the dog responds quickly to the command.

Personally, it is not something that I concern myself with. I have had dogs that down facing me, others that down facing away from me, and dogs that down some where in between.

So long as the down is fast and the dog responds immediately I don't see that it matters.

Art

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 06:23 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zahnburg View Post
As far as I know it makes no difference point wise as long as the dog responds quickly to the command.

Personally, it is not something that I concern myself with. I have had dogs that down facing me, others that down facing away from me, and dogs that down some where in between.

So long as the down is fast and the dog responds immediately I don't see that it matters.
Yea I'm with you there I don't specifically work on the direction the dog will face when he downs, as others say it's simply a by-product of the way you reward the down. I'm just curious what people who prefer one to the other have to say as far as the reason. But it looks like so far, those who have a preference actually prefer the dog lie down facing them so maybe my idea of the "popular opinion" was wrong
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 08:04 AM
Crowned Member

I've never seen a dog not turn. Some don't turn all the way or aren't particularly fast (or some just blow the exercise altogether). Do you have any clips/vids of dogs who down facing forward? I really have no point of comparison or opinion since I haven't seen it trained or executed that way.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 08:37 AM
Knighted Member

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page