This training method seems very cruel - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

This training method seems very cruel

A friend of my mom's does schh with their dog. They love this dog. They explained to my mom the other day that he is getting too close to the helper before he is to "bite'. (sorry, probably explaining it all wrong!). Anyway, to get him to perform better, they are using an electric cattle prod and a sharpened prong.

WOW! I would imagine that once the dogs are ramped up, then the handler needs strong 'brakes', but that seems unfair, and cruel.

Is this common?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 02:32 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

NO!!! NOT common at all, totally nuts! I've heard of sharpened prongs before, but never heard of using a cattle prod! That's just crazy.

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 02:35 PM
Crowned Member

IMHO, Schutzhund is a sport. It doesn't save lives or find lost children or solve world hunger. If your dog needs to be subjected to an electric cattle prod, sharpened prong, kicks in the testicles, or any of the other horror stories I've heard about a handful of trainers, you're playing the wrong sport or using the wrong trainer.

In all sports, some people's egos get in the way of their common sense. It's the exact same thing as using acid on gaited horses to make them step higher.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 02:35 PM
Crowned Member

I've seen one used but not for that reason.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 02:36 PM
Master Member

Not that I am aware of! That seems completely uneducated, and not even really "old-school", more like "never was a training method"...I think it would even be ridiculous to call it a training method at all.

I have only trained with 3 ScH clubs, so maybe I have just not "been around" enough, but I have never heard of using an electric cattle prod. I have heard of some "trainers" using sharpened prongs though.

The way I see it is, protection is a higher level of Obedience. If you can't get your dog to listen to you in front of the helper, then they should not be allowed in front of one until you can get them to listen without the helper present. It is SUPER dangerous to have an uncontrolled dog practicing protection (even in a sport), and the clubs I work with would NEVER allow this. Although, they would never use the cattle prod or sharpened prong either. If you have to use these tools, you never had control to begin with!
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 02:39 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Quote:
If you have to use these tools, you never had control to begin with!
Bingo!

Lucia

2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 02:42 PM
Knighted Member

*US Army Mom*

post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 03:54 PM
Master Member

I was talking with Ez's breeder about this the other day. I was shocked that someone would use a cattle prod... Maybe I am naive but no dog is so hard that they need a cattle prod to get through to them

Rob

Princess Abigail "Abbie"
Kai (RIP)
Loki (RIP)

post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoore View Post
IMHO, Schutzhund is a sport. It doesn't save lives or find lost children or solve world hunger. If your dog needs to be subjected to an electric cattle prod, sharpened prong, kicks in the testicles, or any of the other horror stories I've heard about a handful of trainers, you're playing the wrong sport or using the wrong trainer.

In all sports, some people's egos get in the way of their common sense. It's the exact same thing as using acid on gaited horses to make them step higher.
In horse sports and dog sports, I think things go on "in the name of training" that go unspoken. Heads are turned. "We had to do it to train them. We still love them and take good care of them." Makes me sad.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 04:00 PM
Crowned Member

I have seen this plenty of times, in more than one "top-notch" club.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page