Play rewards at articles - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Play rewards at articles

What are peoples' thoughts on play rewards at articles? Like pulling the dog off the track to play for a minute, then restarting? I've never done it, just curious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 03:01 PM
Master Member

I am by no means a Sch vet and I'm sure others will chime in on this but I train with some veterans and "known" people in the sport, had the foundation of tracking taught to me in Kentucky. I have never seen or considered this, and have talked with a lot of experts.

My observation for my dog would be, he's in a hunt drive when tracking. I don't want to take him out of that. Now I have a dog that is on the edge when in drive so that is more specific to him but if you want to try to bring some "value" to the track, feed at the articles or get high value treats like sardines for the end of the track. If his nirvana is the tug or ball, that's what they get. At the end.

Last edited by Freddy; 01-09-2012 at 03:05 PM. Reason: punctuation
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 03:06 PM
Master Member

One woman in my club said that she would lay articles down on her patio and each time the dog reached the article she had her trainer rain treats on the dog so that the dog would be happy to keep finding the articles.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Purple"]Michelle
Mom to
Stella ~ GSD
Figgy ~ Tuxedo Cat
CoCo ~ Tabby Cat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP

Rio, GSD
SheRah, GSD Mix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 03:20 PM
Knighted Member

I've seen plenty of people do this. Some people even bury a ball on the track for the dogs to find and then they play.

The only thing is if you are going to toss the ball for your dog at the article, be sure you know where other people's tracks are so you don't accidentally turn their tracks into your dog's personal playground! There is a guy in Dallas who is notorious for doing that. Packen knows who I am talking about!
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 03:38 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

I have never done this AT the article, but have put random balls on a long track, played a little and then restarted my dog. Maybe Frank will see this thread since I believe he had a dog that tracked for balls on the track and not food.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 TR3 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 04:05 PM
Master Member

By the way, forgot to mention that when my dog is tracking, the article is the food button.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I was thinking about using this technique not really in terms of training the track or training the articles, but using it later on sporadically and randomly to keep the track fun. I'm happy with the way I train articles, which is using food off the track, then putting them on the track once the dog already knows to find and article and platz without command, and like Freddy says my articles are food buttons, meaning they are always a safe place which = food rewards (from my pocket, not already on the track). I guess I view tracking as finding articles, so I always want the articles to be rewarding and a desirable thing for the dog to seek out. Now naturally GSDs can and will track just for the sake of tracking, but I still view my overall goal in training as training a dog to seek out articles so I was daydreaming on using a toy instead of always just food like I have done.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 06:19 PM
Crowned Member

I need to do this as well, my dog is not real motivated to track for an article. If it was more rewarding then I think his focus and need to track would be greater. I think he'd really like to find a helper at one or two articles on his track.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 07:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason L View Post
I've seen plenty of people do this. Some people even bury a ball on the track for the dogs to find and then they play.

The only thing is if you are going to toss the ball for your dog at the article, be sure you know where other people's tracks are so you don't accidentally turn their tracks into your dog's personal playground! There is a guy in Dallas who is notorious for doing that. Packen knows who I am talking about!
That would be the Jackpot. In the beginning that's at the end of the foodtrack. I do that with Indra, others do it with the favorite food.

I also have a ritual right before I take her out to track.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhczth View Post
I have never done this AT the article, but have put random balls on a long track, played a little and then restarted my dog. Maybe Frank will see this thread since I believe he had a dog that tracked for balls on the track and not food.
Yes my last dopg was not a big food drive dog, so I tracked him for burried balls on the track, he would find them and dig them up, I would not play with him however as he has extreme ball drive, so he would dig them up and then lay down...I do know a lot of others that then unclip the leash, play a little, lay the dog back down, clip back on the leash and then restart the track......The possible downfall (and why I didn't play at the articles) is that the dog starts to speed to get to the articles....With balls buried, the intensity is down into the track...with ball play at the articles the intensity becomes forward on the track to get to the articles....2 very different drives....

Frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page