Your Interpretation of New Heeling Rules? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Your Interpretation of New Heeling Rules?

From another thread going on right now:

The USA website put up the new rules in a powerpoint slideshow and it says there:
"Heeling shall be normal movement or gait. Prancing or bouncing is not correct."

So, what is YOUR interpretation of "prancing or bouncing?"

Out of curiosity, and to get some conversation going, would you consider Medo's heeling "too much" "just right" or "make that boy bounce some more!" per how YOU would judge under the new rules?

Now, keep in mind he's not even 11 mo. old yet and we have a LONG way to go refining things, but this is definitely his "natural" way to heel. I spent MONTHS AND MONTHS on position and when we finally added speed to it, this is what was just there.

J, mom to:
- Elsa - "Da Pookins"
- Medo - "The Beast From The East"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 09:37 PM
Crowned Member

I think his heeling looks gorgeous! What I think of when I hear bouncy is those dogs that are literally jumping up towards the handler during their heeling. I don't think he is too prancy at all. He looks very attentive and his topline stays very level for the most part.

Feuergarten German Shepherds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 09:43 PM

Seems to me you are right at the threshold for bouncing/prancing. I think if you keep doing what you are doing, then you will be a "ok".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 09:44 PM
Crowned Member

Agree, and he is in sync with your pace, which makes it look great~ hopefully as he matures he will be as enthusiastic to heel!

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 09:44 PM
Crowned Member

Justine I think he looks great! I don't see how that would be any problem with the rules, new or otherwise. He is focused, looks correct (at least from the angle/distance of the video), shows consistency in those clips.

As Frank clarified earlier today, the bouncing that is not correct is the literal bouncing, at least this is the way I understand it. The dogs that are hopping, rearing up, and/or constantly changing between a normal walking position (like a standing position) and sitting/scooting along are not correct because the topline is all over the place. Medo's topline stays the same. Honestly I don't think that many people will be effected by the supposed new heeling rules.

Last edited by Liesje; 01-04-2012 at 09:49 PM.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post

As Frank clarified earlier today, the bouncing that is not correct is the literal bouncing, at least this is the way I understand it. The dogs that are hopping, rearing up, and/or constantly changing between a normal walking position (like a standing position) and sitting/scooting along are not correct because the topline is all over the place. Medo's topline stays the same.
And how that kind of heeling ever scored well is beyond me!!!!! I guess I'm around too many "boring" heelers lol. I know I vaugly recall seeing some clips of stuff like that, but not sure where. Anyone want to throw someone under the bus and have the link to a video you think will be "over the top?"

Part of this is based on the thread I quoted, and part of this is the fact I met a rather unpleasant person a few weekends ago that came to the French Ring club I train at sometimes and was lecturing the few SchH people that were there about how horrible all our dogs were going to score under the new rules. And his dog looked like it wanted to jump off a bridge to end it's misery when he was "heeling"...but to each their own.

So I was curious if there were any other people out there that would interpret Medo's "type" of heeling as "over the top" per the new rules.

J, mom to:
- Elsa - "Da Pookins"
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 10:06 PM
Crowned Member

I'm not sure if this person is training for Schutzhund or why he would intentionally teach this heeling, but its an example of how I've seen some dogs heel in trial before.

Feuergarten German Shepherds

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 10:06 PM
Crowned Member

I could be wrong but I think people are getting too worked up over this heeling thing. Being out of position has always been incorrect. I've seen a few people with dogs who honestly *are* in position all the time (dog and handlers' shoulders align) but the dogs are doing other crazy or ugly stuff like the rearing up or scooting the butt. But I really think this is a small number of people. This clarification in the rules is not an excuse for a dog to heel like he's going for a walk around the block, give no focus, no drive.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDog View Post
I'm not sure if this person is training for Schutzhund or why he would intentionally teach this heeling, but its an example of how I've seen some dogs heel in trial before.

Dog Training - Teaching a Bouncing Heel - YouTube
OMG that is HORRIBLE! I can't believe he is using that to advertise dog training. Yikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
This clarification in the rules is not an excuse for a dog to heel like he's going for a walk around the block, give no focus, no drive.
I agree. But I wonder how many other people other there think like this guy......I mean this guy was basically saying "your type has been getting high undeserved scores for years, and it's finally my turn to shine."

And yes, his dog looked like he was going for a walk around the block he didn't want to be on. And no wonder. He doesn't believe in rewards either..........but that's a topic for another thread!

J, mom to:
- Elsa - "Da Pookins"
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 07:08 AM

Your dog is worth keeping just for the heeling, very nice!

I think a lot of the bouncing/jumping may come from trainers who put the reward under the armpit, in a ball drop vest or possibly food in the hand above the dog luring it. Some dogs just do it natrually, that is a training issue as well.

Focused heeling is just that. Not a dog walking along beside the handler looking at where the toy usually is or waiting for it to appear. In the end you shouldnt need a toy.

I watched a dog trial that had BEAUTIFUL heeling, looking straight up all the time for a toy, but everything else was sloppy or incomplete. Ended up with a score in the low 70's. Some people may not understand competitive heeling and why it is done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page