Speak Help - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Speak Help

I have been trying to teach my 11 month old to speak on command for weeks now.

I have made the hand barking signal when she is barking and said speak and rewarded her, she usually stops barking the minute I say "speak".

I have done what the decoy at Shutzhund has advised, hold her favorite treat in my hand and wait for her to speak before I give it to her. She just ends up going through a bunch of other commands that she has been taught thinking one of these tricks must be right, platz, sitz, paw....

Does anyone have another way to teach to speak? My girl is pretty smart, but she is just not getting this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Purple"]Michelle
Mom to
Stella ~ GSD
Figgy ~ Tuxedo Cat
CoCo ~ Tabby Cat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP

Rio, GSD
SheRah, GSD Mix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 02:13 PM
Crowned Member

Can you back-tie her and use that to stimulate some frustration and drive?
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 02:15 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Why do you want her to speak? That would be my first question.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 TR3 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 02:25 PM
Master Member

The time to teach speak is when they are young puppies and play bark all the time. I taught one of my girls at around 4 months and she has a great speak. My other girl, whom I acquired when she was 1, has never learned it.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 02:25 PM
Crowned Member

I just think its a fun thing to teach and I love the whisper-its strange because the one dog I have that loves it bark-it took me longer to teach it to her-you could try a toy-it might just take time
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhczth View Post
Why do you want her to speak? That would be my first question.
It is required at our Shutzhund. They have to speak on command when going in front of the decoy at the blind.

[COLOR="Purple"]Michelle
Mom to
Stella ~ GSD
Figgy ~ Tuxedo Cat
CoCo ~ Tabby Cat

RIP

Rio, GSD
SheRah, GSD Mix
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeCe View Post
The time to teach speak is when they are young puppies and play bark all the time. I taught one of my girls at around 4 months and she has a great speak. My other girl, whom I acquired when she was 1, has never learned it.
Oh no, I hope that is not the case for Stella.

[COLOR="Purple"]Michelle
Mom to
Stella ~ GSD
Figgy ~ Tuxedo Cat
CoCo ~ Tabby Cat

RIP

Rio, GSD
SheRah, GSD Mix
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holland View Post
I just think its a fun thing to teach and I love the whisper-its strange because the one dog I have that loves it bark-it took me longer to teach it to her-you could try a toy-it might just take time
The decoy did that with her, and he looked at me and say, you still have not taught her to speak...

[COLOR="Purple"]Michelle
Mom to
Stella ~ GSD
Figgy ~ Tuxedo Cat
CoCo ~ Tabby Cat

RIP

Rio, GSD
SheRah, GSD Mix
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 03:02 PM
Crowned Member

To me a fun "speak" command is not the same as an active guard. If the dog won't bark in guarding, you need to work on that issue with the helper. The dog needs to be in the right state of drive/frame of mind and most of that depends on how your helper is working the dog. Learning a "speak" command at home won't hurt but won't really help either, other than showing the dog it's OK to bark (sometimes) but if the dog is not barking or guarding I don't think a speak command alone will overcome that. I use a "pass auf" command in Schutzhund and SDA (I require my dogs to enter the field/facility under control and then *I* tell them when to start barking, so long as the helper is on the same page and not getting in my dog's space before that) but usually adding the pass auf command comes with adding control; I'm training the dog to turn on AND off at the same time on my command, not just training it to bark.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
Can you back-tie her and use that to stimulate some frustration and drive?
I will try that. We worked on that a bit last week at protection. She has only done protection training 3x, so maybe that added stimulation will help.

[COLOR="Purple"]Michelle
Mom to
Stella ~ GSD
Figgy ~ Tuxedo Cat
CoCo ~ Tabby Cat

RIP

Rio, GSD
SheRah, GSD Mix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page