Andi Bojovnik "Brenna" Training 12/14 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Andi Bojovnik "Brenna" Training 12/14

Hi Everyone: Just wanted to share a recent training session we had with my almost 2 year old female.

Cheryl

Cheryl

Felice vom Amulree, SchI, TRII, CD, RA, CGC, TDI
Andi Bojovnik "Brenna" Bh
Finnegan von der Zahnburg
RIP Duchess Liberty of Bayberry, CD, RE, CGC, TDI
RIP Liberty's Favorite Falon, CGC, TDI
RIP Moriarity's Renegade of Orchard Court "Reno"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 10:54 PM
Elite Member

Interesting. I don't know anything about Schutzhund bite work procedures so I am curious. Was the goal of throwing the sleeve around to get him to identify what he is supposed to bite? Never seen it done like this before. Usually, the dog bites the sleeve the trainer is wearing. So is that just another approach and standard procedure?

L'chaim
Elvi

Lexie (Rotti-x), Max (GSD/Husky), Sophie (WGSD)
R.I.P. Ozzy, Sabrie, Kaiser (GSDs), Peaches (Cat)

"Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending." - Maria Robinson
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

Hi: Was unsure how to give you the correct answer so I asked Brenna's breeder to check out your question and provide a response. This is what she replied:

"It is common with young dogs or green dogs to toss the equipment to tap the dogs prey drive. Prey is the drive the dog hunts and kills in, it is a confident drive, confident state of mind...so early training uses the benefits of that drive to acclimate the dog to the work and build their confidence. This is especially necessary with young/immature dogs who cannot yet mentally handle the stresses of defense. In addition Schutzhund is a sport so most Schutzhund hobbiests don't care if their dog is equipment oriented so if an adult dog shows signs of stress in their work, like hackles up, the trainer may toss the sleeve a few times to push the dog more into prey.

In this case (the video) in particular however...this dog tends to favor one sleeve over another and gets distracted when the first sleeve is tossed aside and she can see it. The trainer here is trying to trick her into accepting it seamlessly by tossing the first sleeve where the second sleeve was hidden (the first attempt the dog caught it as he kicked it which she wasn't supposed to but she won so it was praised)".

Figured Melanie could explain it much better than I ever could.

Cheryl

Cheryl

Felice vom Amulree, SchI, TRII, CD, RA, CGC, TDI
Andi Bojovnik "Brenna" Bh
Finnegan von der Zahnburg
RIP Duchess Liberty of Bayberry, CD, RE, CGC, TDI
RIP Liberty's Favorite Falon, CGC, TDI
RIP Moriarity's Renegade of Orchard Court "Reno"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 04:31 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renofan2 View Post

"It is common with young dogs or green dogs to toss the equipment to tap the dogs prey drive. Prey is the drive the dog hunts and kills in, it is a confident drive, confident state of mind...so early training uses the benefits of that drive to acclimate the dog to the work and build their confidence. This is especially necessary with young/immature dogs who cannot yet mentally handle the stresses of defense. In addition Schutzhund is a sport so most Schutzhund hobbiests don't care if their dog is equipment oriented so if an adult dog shows signs of stress in their work, like hackles up, the trainer may toss the sleeve a few times to push the dog more into prey.

In this case (the video) in particular however...this dog tends to favor one sleeve over another and gets distracted when the first sleeve is tossed aside and she can see it. The trainer here is trying to trick her into accepting it seamlessly by tossing the first sleeve where the second sleeve was hidden (the first attempt the dog caught it as he kicked it which she wasn't supposed to but she won so it was praised)".

Cheryl
Ah, I see. thanks Cheryl.

L'chaim
Elvi

Lexie (Rotti-x), Max (GSD/Husky), Sophie (WGSD)
R.I.P. Ozzy, Sabrie, Kaiser (GSDs), Peaches (Cat)

"Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending." - Maria Robinson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page