BH obedience lax standards? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 107 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 02:07 AM Thread Starter
Banned

BH obedience lax standards?

So I was at my first BH evaluation this past weekend. As a long time AKC obedience participant, I was MOST surprised at the very low standards for passing the BH obedience exise.

So I figured to ask and see if this is expected and usual or did we just happen to get a very lenient judge. (Which could and does happen in any dog sport, of course).

For example, 2 of the dogs broke their long down stay at the side of the field while the other dog was working 4 times each and started walking over to their handlers. Each passed easily!

A couple of other dogs literally ran around 15-25 feet away from their handlers on the off leash exercise and did return but repeated it a few times each. All passed as well.

Etc. Etc.

Usual?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 107 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 07:20 AM
Crowned Member

What you describe does seem lenient, but it still has to be viewed in the context of the overall performance. There is only so many points assigned to long down and heeling in the Judges assessment. Though BH is pass/fail in way reported, the judge evaluates all aspects in relation to whether the dog is ready to go on. There is also the off field aspect dealing with traffic and other dogs. Like I said it does sound lenient, but without a complete picture of what the dogs did I really could'nt judge. I know when I go up for a long down those items you mentioned are the least of my concerns.

Last edited by cliffson1; 12-18-2011 at 07:23 AM.
post #3 of 107 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 07:35 AM
Crowned Member

Gosh, breaking a stay in AKC would be an immediately fail. I know, been there. Have a dog that likes to lay down on the sit stay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 107 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 10:40 AM
Crowned Member

Yeah, but does AKC have the down with distractions in front of the dog, like another dog team working, or in the Sch one and above having another team through objects to be retreived????? It is very easy to teach a dog to just stay with no distractions......have things moving and being thrown and you really test the stay or down!
post #5 of 107 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 10:46 AM
Knighted Member

I did hear that the BH exercise was recently changed to be more lax.

Nadia - GSD -DOB 12-29-07
Zisso - GSD- DOB 9-16-07
Pepe & Kiki`my sweet kitties

Zisso is my heart~Nadia is my Love~My kitties bring me everything in between~Together they bring me Joy!
post #6 of 107 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 11:13 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

The BH is primarily a temperament test. The dog must show basic control, an understanding of the exercises and do well enough to pass. The dog leaving the handler during the off lead heeling could have lead to the dog failing under some judges due to a lack of control.

SchH is not AKC. AKC is entirely judged on points. The temperament, attitude, and character of the dog is not considered as long as the exercises are performed correctly (and the dog does not bite the judge, growl, or attack anther dog). In SchH because these things do matter and it is not just about points, failing one exercise only loses you those points for that exercise. In the long down a dog can receive partial points for staying through a certain stage of the other dog's routine.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 TR3 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #7 of 107 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 11:16 AM
Knighted Member

So does this mean if one was to take the BH in AKC they could fail but doing the exact same thing in a SchH BH could pass?

Nadia - GSD -DOB 12-29-07
Zisso - GSD- DOB 9-16-07
Pepe & Kiki`my sweet kitties

Zisso is my heart~Nadia is my Love~My kitties bring me everything in between~Together they bring me Joy!
post #8 of 107 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 11:16 AM
Crowned Member

But isn't the BH test suppose to focus more on the temperament of the dog being tested rather than the obedience.

Not saying that the obedience portion should be written off or anything, obviously it is incorporating obedience drills (hello! look at all that heeling!) but I always look at the BH as a test in the dogs temperament. Ensuring he/she can handle different situations (traffic portion, walking through group, etc.).

I just think of it as a prerequisite of the ultimate obedience test which would be the schH titles.

Dunno. JMO.

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus

Last edited by elisabeth_00117; 12-18-2011 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Sorry, posted the same time Lisa did.
post #9 of 107 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 11:21 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zisso View Post
So does this mean if one was to take the BH in AKC they could fail but doing the exact same thing in a SchH BH could pass?
Yes, just like a there are a lot of dogs who do AKC that would fail the BH (due to temperament).

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 TR3 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #10 of 107 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 01:15 PM
Crowned Member

AKC obedience is reaaalllly nit-picky. You can get points off for the dog not being in the exactly correct position, if sits are crooked, "crowding" during heeling, while the Bh does not seem to care so much about that kind of thing. Like the others said, it's more of a temperament test than an obedience trial. Although the trial mentioned does seem particularly lenient.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page