10 month old GSD - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

10 month old GSD

So i live in Macomb county, Michigan and i found a schutzhund trainer that was recommended by my vet because she took her two gsds there. So this lady has showed up maybe 4 or 5 times and we started training in like october. She only charges 5$ for basic obedience (Because thats as far as we got) so thats good but i was wondering if anyone lives in macomb county Michigan and has a good schutzhund traininer or personal protection trainer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 09:52 PM
Crowned Member

Do you want to do SchH or personal protection... because those are two totally different ballgames

And how far do you expect to get and how fast? Realize a disobedient dog has no place on a protection field.

Hunter, CWDC UScA Helper
Beschützer des Jägers v.d. Sportwaffen
Katya v. Hügelblick
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen
Arya v. Allrothaus
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterisgreat View Post
Do you want to do SchH or personal protection... because those are two totally different ballgames

And how far do you expect to get and how fast? Realize a disobedient dog has no place on a protection field.

well he was in schutzhund for a month already but the trainer doesnt do her job and i want him to compete. He isnt a disobedient dog, Why did you write that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 10:07 PM
Crowned Member

If you want to do Schutzhund you should join a club rather than pay a trainer.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 10:09 PM
Master Member

Probably because the core of SchH is obedience which might be part of why the trainer has only been doing basic obedience with you. Many of the SchH participants I know have extremely obedient dogs before they really even begin any sort "typical SchH" work. Mind you, this is only from an outsiders perspective as I don't compete, but I don't think it was meant to be offensive, just realistic.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 10:12 PM
Crowned Member

Agree with Lies. There are clubs in your general area, best to go and get an evaluation on you and your dog...contact/visit a few.

USA - Mid-Eastern Clubs

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sashadog View Post
Probably because the core of SchH is obedience which might be part of why the trainer has only been doing basic obedience with you. Many of the SchH participants I know have extremely obedient dogs before they really even begin any sort "typical SchH" work. Mind you, this is only from an outsiders perspective as I don't compete, but I don't think it was meant to be offensive, just realistic.

Oh i know, thankyou though. but i was saying we ONLY GOT TO obedience because she only showed up like 4 times. She told me in 3-4 weeks we should start basic tracking which should be this month and we havent trained anything completly yet.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 10:17 PM
Crowned Member

Was this with Pat C?
This time of year, many clubs are in a down-time...tracking is limited due to the weather and everyone is taking a breather after the trials.
Another thing, many times a trainer won't even deal with protection because they want to see the dogs temperament in obedience before they go that route. Also the handler's skill is taken into consideration before any bitework is suggested.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18

Last edited by onyx'girl; 12-07-2011 at 10:21 PM.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 10:18 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita11811 View Post
well he was in schutzhund for a month already but the trainer doesnt do her job and i want him to compete. He isnt a disobedient dog, Why did you write that?
Not saying he is disobedient... just that a solid OB is the foundation to protection, so don't take it as a problem if OB is the focus initially

A month is a very short amount of time. A world class trainer could get the right dog to competition level, maybe, within a few years, FYI

Hunter, CWDC UScA Helper
Katya v. Hügelblick
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen
Arya v. Allrothaus
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 10:19 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
Was this Pat?
This time of year, many clubs are in a down-time...tracking is limited due to the weather and everyone is taking a breather after the trials.
This is a stupid question.... but given my sub-tropical environment... do you guys track in the winter? How does snow on the ground play into tracking?

Hunter, CWDC UScA Helper
Katya v. Hügelblick
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen
Arya v. Allrothaus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page