A list of "characteristics" that might indicate your dog is geared towards SCH? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-03-2011, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Banned

A list of "characteristics" that might indicate your dog is geared towards SCH?

Just curious. I really don't see SCH in our future at all, but I also don't want to automatically rule anything out. I rather doubt Bailey's aptitude for it, but again, who knows.

If you had to list some important prerequisites, traits, characteristics, etc for a dog to do well in SCH, what would they be, generally speaking? Also, for those who already do it, did you begin with other sports, ie, several rounds of obedience training or other work? Or just jump in paws first?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-03-2011, 05:58 PM
Master Member

Confident, balanced drives, eagerness to train and to learn, ability to take pressure, not shy or aggressive.

Just a few I'd think of

Edit:

I knew Versailles would be doing schutzhund, so we did a lot of tug-toy work, barking for the toy, but also worked a lot of confidence building. She learned the teetertotter and walked on different surfaces. I taught her to swim very young. We have done a TON of obedience. We played a lot of ball. We are doing Agility and Schutzhund training at 8 1/2 months old.

www.rescuedrover.com
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-03-2011, 06:03 PM
Crowned Member

I think the dog must have good genetics, with that comes a confident puppy, one that is biddable and will have athleticism in its structure. A big blocky structure won't last when it comes to endurance or obstacles. I also like a higher threshold, but not so high that it takes tons of work to activate. A pup that is willing to try most anything(walk on surfaces/heights without hesitation) and recover easily if something is 'scary' to it.
I don't want to put much in the way of obedience on my puppy, though house manners are important. But certain things are not going to get corrected.
Food, hunt,prey and ball drive is very important as well. I have two females that aren't very biddable, food drive on one is zilch and neither one will tug. Can't get too far with them in many venues of training because of the above.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-03-2011, 06:08 PM
Crowned Member

I agree. Confidence is a huge part of it! But my dog learned a whole lot of his confidence through the sport itself. I was a new handler to Schutzhund, so we had to learn together. I think your relationship with your dog has a lot to do with it to, even if you're just looking into it as a hobby and not to compete.

We didn't do anything else at first. I started right off with Schutzhund training and my helper and training director at club were really amazing as far as educating me on proper handling techniques. Aiden isn't the ideal Schutzhund candidate as he does have some insecurity issues, but I don't put alot of pressure on him at training and he really enjoys it! He'd also probably eat my house if I didn't do it as often as I do with him. =P

The ideal Schutzhund dog has the qualities that Shaina listed above, but many dogs can take part in the sport just to learn as well! Everyone I know comments on how well behaved my boy is and I credit all of it to Schutzhund training. He got his BH at 15 months and we are going to work toward a SchH1 title, but like I said before, I'm not pressuring him and I'm in no rush. My main goal is to have an obedient, happy dog.

Feuergarten German Shepherds

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-03-2011, 07:15 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Excellent nerves; resilience; a strong desire to work with me; high food, hunt and fight drive; genetic grips; athleticism, physical soundness.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 TR3 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page