SchH Confession.... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 202 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

SchH Confession....

I have become jaded....I don't like new people anymore.

I have been training GSDs since 1997 and in SchH since 2008...and I have not accomplished anything in the way of a title....but I have always trained EVERY week, rain or shine, hot or cold, snow or not. Don't get me wrong...someday I'll get around to titling a GSD.

Back in my OB and agility days, new people and their dogs were exciting, refreshing, and enjoyable. Now, after a few years of living the SchH lifestyle, and breaking my backside to accomplish nothing....new people and their freakin' optimism piss me off. I hardly even listen anymore, because as soon as it is raining...they won't be there. When it gets cold...they won't be there. When they can't get their dog to do this or that...they won't be there. When they realize you can't just train at club...they won't be there.

I honestly never thought I would become one of those jaded a-holes...but I am, and I don't care. I just train to train because I love it....and I want the new people to go somewhere else!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BH RN CGC TT HD/ED a1 Normal
Dayna von Royale BH FO CGC Therapy Dogs, Inc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 202 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 11:30 AM
Crowned Member

I am with you!!!

Every year we receive about 15 new people at the SAR group, one year later one, maybe exceptionally two persons become volunteers.

And in Schutzhund every time I go to train with my friend we invite everybody and at the ends it is always only the two of us.

Diabla Boroluz, my Daemon; IPO-A1, RH-T A
Akela de Poputchik, my Direwolf; IPO-2, Kkl1
Calais vom Adler Stein; IPO-A1, Kkl1
post #3 of 202 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

At our club, we had a new guy coming, and I liked him. After he'd been coming for awhile, I decided to give him one of our club ball caps. Two weeks later he was gone...haven't seen or heard from him in months!

I like the comers and stayers...it is the comers and goers that make me crazy!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 202 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 11:36 AM
Master Member

As a "new person" to the sport... I'm glad you're not in my club. I've been out to training every week, rain or shine. It was drizzling and cold last week with 97% humidity, and it was just me, the helper and club director. I work my dog every day, no matter the weather. I get up early to do scent pads and short tracks every morning before leaving out for the day.

Are there some people at club who aren't as commited or aren't there every week? Yup. But not everyone has to have the same level of commitment. Just because someone is new you shouldn't write them off. If you do, you will never have any new people and the sport will die.

You were new once too...

Rob

Princess Abigail "Abbie"
Kai (RIP)
Loki (RIP)

post #5 of 202 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 11:38 AM
Crowned Member

Agree!

There are those that we call "sunny trainers" which means they only come out when it's nice outside (or when they know their dogs will be worked first - then leave!).

Rain, cold, wind, whatever - I am out there.

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
post #6 of 202 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 11:41 AM
Crowned Member

Well, I'm feeling all warm and fuzzy now........

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
post #7 of 202 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 11:42 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilie View Post
Well, I'm feeling all warm and fuzzy now........
I swear we were just talking about this?

Lauren

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
post #8 of 202 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR870 View Post
As a "new person" to the sport... I'm glad you're not in my club. I've been out to training every week, rain or shine. It was drizzling and cold last week with 97% humidity, and it was just me, the helper and club director. I work my dog every day, no matter the weather. I get up early to do scent pads and short tracks every morning before leaving out for the day.

Are there some people at club who aren't as commited or aren't there every week? Yup. But not everyone has to have the same level of commitment. Just because someone is new you shouldn't write them off. If you do, you will never have any new people and the sport will die.

You were new once too...
That is exactly what I mean when I say I've become one of those jaded a-holes!!! I really used to be you!

But now I see and understand what the ole-timers were so jaded about...the comers and goers waste time and resources, and it just gets old....and it really bums be out when I like the new person and they don't stick with it.

post #9 of 202 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 12:02 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.Oliver View Post
That is exactly what I mean when I say I've become one of those jaded a-holes!!! I really used to be you!

But now I see and understand what the ole-timers were so jaded about...the comers and goers waste time and resources, and it just gets old....and it really bums be out when I like the new person and they don't stick with it.
A certain amount of skepticism is warranted and new people do have to pay their dues. But you gotta remember that every one of those "old-timers" was new once too...

Rob

Princess Abigail "Abbie"
Kai (RIP)
Loki (RIP)

post #10 of 202 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 12:05 PM
Crowned Member

Sometimes things happen to people, maybe they lose their job and cant afford training anymore, maybe they became ill with cancer or something else, maybe personal issues came up and they cant continue training.

I am sure some of the new people decide that they just dont want to continue training anymore, but I am sure some just cant continue.

Lauren

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page