Training in Cold Weather. How to stay warm?? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Training in Cold Weather. How to stay warm??

Ok so the past few times I have been training it's be cold!! We train twice a week. I'm a bit of a wimp so it was about 42 degrees. I'm looking for suggestion on how to stay warm. I was thinking about buying some insulated coveralls. My fear is I don't want to be mistaken for a decoy . LOL!

How do ya'll stay warm in the winter months when training is done outdoors? What do you wear? What tricks do you have? Also what suggestions on keep dog/ dogs warm? Please help.....

Otto Blk GSD 02/23/10
Circe Blk Sable GSD 06/22/08
My fur babies!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 11:50 AM
Master Member

I wear those snow overalls with a few jackets, and I put hand warmers in my pockets which work really well. Bundling up is all you can really do... and during the training itself, you should be moving around a lot, which will help with the cold. I don't see a dog mistaking you for a decoy just because youre wearing overalls. If they did, that would be quite the liability in the real world... LOL

www.rescuedrover.com
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Great suggestions. We do move alot when working. However we have to wait for our turn too. We have 12 dogs in our group. So waiting can be awhile. What brand of overalls do you use?

Otto Blk GSD 02/23/10
My fur babies!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 11:59 AM
Master Member

I use something similar to these - http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do...102&tid=gofr1r

Ouch! Couldn't imagine having 12 dogs in a group. We've only got three handlers that come consistently and I still get cold waiting for my turn. :P

www.rescuedrover.com
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 12:01 PM
Crowned Member

Shop the hunting section at Academy. Hunters are experts at keeping warm.

- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 12:03 PM
Knighted Member

I swear by my 1 piece. For the best results..fleece pants and a hoodie.

Carolyn
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
Wolfen - WGSD 12/31/14
Bull -WGSD 2-10-10
💔
Apache - Shiloh Shepherd 12/15/02 - 6/9/15
Kiya - Shiloh Shepherd 5/15/04 -12/19/25
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 12:20 PM
Elite Member

I wear Patagonia ski underwear(longjohns and longsleeved shirt), then I wear ski socks and jeans with Ugg rainboots (they are waterproof but have sheepskin lining). I wear a thick shirt and a car length down coat. I have a good hat from REI and a few different sets of gloves. I also have a large box of the handwarmers and have been known to stuff a few in my bra LOL. I am extremely cold natured and also have a condition called Reynaud's Syndrome which causes the circulation in my hands to stop, so I really have to keep my hands warm to avoid that.
Patagonia Capilene 3 Long Underwear Bottoms - Women's at REI.com

Patagonia Capilene 3 Crew Top - Women's at REI.com

Here's the coat, but mine is brown to hide dirt and such .

I searched LLBean and bought the longest coat rated for the lowest temps.

Women's Down Chalet Coat from Lands' End

Last edited by bocron; 11-21-2011 at 12:23 PM.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Ouch.... To my pocket but I didn't even think about Uggs!

http://www.zappos.com/ugg-bridgeport-black
http://www.zappos.com/ugg-adirondack-boot-ii-black-grey

I'm going to Bass Pro to try on coveralls some time this week. I have some at my club that brings hot water bottles. Great idea too for keeping warm. Never thought to put hand warmers in the bra. Your a smart woman! Having Reynaud's Syndrome is it really hard for you to hold the leash even with gloves on? Sounds almost painful ? I almost let go b/c I could feel my hands. I know that just must have been the cold weather though.

Otto Blk GSD 02/23/10
My fur babies!!
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 01:23 PM
Crowned Member

You're in TX right? lol

Last few times training this has been me dressing....
- underwear
- ankle socks
- long johns
- camisole
- Smart Wool socks (pulled up over long johns)
- knee-high boot socks
- thermal long sleeve shirt
- wind pants
- t-shirt
- hooded sweatshirt or sweater fleece
- fleece jacket
- outer shell
- Muck boots (I have the Muckmasters with thick soles, keep my feet warm all winter)
- assorted hats, hoods, and mittens

Right now I have a storage bin in the van with dozens of mittens, gloves, and hats. Keep your head and your core warm and this will help keep your hands and feet warm. I have some serious cold-weather (I'm talking west Michigan blizzard negative windchills) mittens and gloves but if my core is not warm my hands are icy.

Last edited by Liesje; 11-21-2011 at 01:26 PM.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 01:25 PM
Elite Member

I just did the lined rainboots, not the workboots. I got mine on ebay for around $80. I normally would NOT buy a name brand anything for working dogs, but I discovered that warm feet is worth the price. I can stand to be outside in the cold for much longer as long as my feet are cozy. I think mine are called "Orcas".
The Reynaud's only poses a problem if I actually have a flare up. I have learned to secret is to NEVER let my hands start to get cold to begin with. What gets me is if I have to take off my gloves to fill a bucket or something and my hands get wet.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page