Green Handlers--Would you give up your dog? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Green Handlers--Would you give up your dog?

Just for fun, I thought I'd throw the following hypothetical scenario out to people. I'm making it a "green handler" type question because I think us clueless folks are more likely to question our abilities. But anyone can answer who feels so inclined.

Say a very talented handler--one who consistently competes at the national and world level--tells you that they love your dog and want to compete it themselves because they think the dog is that talented that they could take the dog to worlds.

Now, you're a new handler. Bound to mess things up. And it's slim to none that you'd ever get the dog to be "all that it could be." For the sake of converstaion, this is someone you know and trust and who knows the dog and you well.

Do you:

A. Say "back off lady/man! He/she's MINE!"

B. Give the dog to this person--no way you'd be able to do something so awesome with this dog and you'd love to see them succeed.

C. Let them handle the dog for awhile, then compete the dog yourself after they are more seasoned.

D. Freak out that they are going to steal the dog in the middle of the night, move, and refuse to have any additional contact with the individual.

E. Other

J, mom to:
- Elsa - "Da Pookins"
- Medo - "The Beast From The East"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 07:11 PM
Banned

A. I'd tell them to back off but that he/she is welcome to cointinue to train me with my dog unless he/she would pay so much money for the dog that it'd be very hard to say no, though... LOL
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 07:25 PM

I would probably go with 'Other' being that the other person assist me in training my own dog so that we could compete at a higher level ourselves.

My dog is my dog. That's all there is to it. I'm not a breeder looking to title stock or an extreme competitor. I'm someone who mainly competes in obedience, shows because my dog and I enjoy it, and who has started training in SchH for fun but has had to slow that train down due to financial constraints. My dog is a companion first, and a competitor second. Even if she never stepped foot in a ring or on a field again, she would have a place in my home.
But I would hope that this being a person I know well and trust would be willing to understand that the success that they would gain with my dog would be a drop of happiness in the sea of pain that would come with knowing I've given up that piece of myself forever. I would hope that they would be willing to assist the next generation (so to speak) of handlers by helping me to correct those mistakes, hone what I already know and sharpen my skills. After all, green trainers don't become seasoned trainers by avoiding making mistakes. They learn from their mistakes, and each dog's training helps to improve the training of the following.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 07:32 PM
Crowned Member

I'd go in the "other" group as well.

I'm always open to advice from seasoned veterans or anyone with any information that can better my training/relationship with my dog, but he's staying with me

Feuergarten German Shepherds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 07:38 PM
Crowned Member

Other - I'd keep the dog until it is more mature because only then can I really tell how much I like it, and if he's not really what I'm looking for, I can sell him to that person

I don't buy a dog I don't intend to train and handle, so I wouldn't immediately sell a dog just because someone else wanted it (have had that offer) and I wouldn't let anyone else train and handle a dog I intended to keep and handle later on, no way!
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 07:40 PM

I am a "green handler" in every sense of the word. But I am also a good student of the sport and belong to a good club. (Tornado Alley)

That said. I have an 8 month old boy that is absolutely amazing. He has amazed me since he was 9 weeks old. He amazes everyone at club training and I have had several offers to buy him. I am often apprehensive about my ability to bring out his full potential. But he is MY dog. He is my fur kid. I love him like a child and no one is going to take him from me. I have a great and experienced club that is willing to help me train him to his fullest and just as important, train me. I have his breeder, who is extremely knowledgeable and always ready and willing to give advice and encouragement.

I know that this road we are on may be a little slower than someone else could travel it but he and I are in this together and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Gunny, we miss you dearly.
Aragorn vom Wildhaus aka "Strider"
Kaiser vom Wildhaus aka "Krieg"
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 08:22 PM
Crowned Member

I have "seen" this scenario happen and the dog was turned over. Also ruined.
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 08:27 PM
Knighted Member

I would have to go with "A"
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 10:42 PM
Master Member

Send a message via Yahoo to VonKromeHaus
I actually had a couple similar situations like this come up recently. In one situation, the dog would be doing far more than I could ever do with him and would have a real job.

That said, My dog is still with me, I just can't do it. I got him as a competition dog, but I love him a ton and can't let him go, no matter how much better a handler the other people might be, he's a good dog and sleeps on my bed and I can't replace the bond I have with him with another dog.

Tululajhs Red Chrome Kahpone~AST/APBT~CGC TT BH~RIP
Osyrius SilverChrome GTOVonMarionHaus~GSD~CGC DDJ RN
WBBs BleauChromeLady of TheCopa~APBT~STARR CGC
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 10:58 PM
Crowned Member

Most dogs are perfectly happy no matter what level they compete at and all the National placings in the world doesn't mean a thing to them.

Betty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page