The hold & bark - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

The hold & bark

How do you(yourself, club, trainer, ect) teach the hold & bark? Do you find certain things work better w/ a puppy vs an adult? Why?
What problems have you come across & how did you rectify them?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ark von Ochs Stellt 5/29/09--10/30/12

"German Shepherd breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German Shepherd breeding." Max Von Stephanitz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 11:15 AM
Master Member

I teach my dogs how to "push" me for things at a very young age. They learn that barking and acting like a bully will get me to give in to things. I then shape the behaviors that "work" when pushing me into things I want to see on the field.

During rag work as the dog barks I begin to name it in the very beginning. The dog learns how to bark the helper in.

It starts out as a prey bark, but a dog with defense will naturally bring out a serious bark as they age, mature, and the helper becomes more challenging. Then eventually it turns into a really nice bark with a pushy attitude. A dog with fight drive will naturally come out more and more until you have a great bark and hold with a good intense bark.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older and more complete than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear."
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 04:07 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

I wait until the dog is mature enough to bark in aggression since the H&B is an aggression based exercise. Makes teaching the H&B significantly easier. IMO teaching it as a prey exercise imprints the wrong behaviors and the wrong attitude in the dog.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 TR3 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 04:23 PM
Crowned Member

Pan hasn't really started HB yet, probably won't until next spring. We tried but he's still immature in the head and not yet really viewing the helper in a way that brings out aggression. Sure he can sit there and bark forever and be clean but it's not really the picture or the power that I want. He's done enough rounds to understand that barking = good and barking gets results but it's not quite the type of barking and frame of mind we want, and that's not his fault or the training, just the maturity of the dog. There's not much he can learn in protection right now. I'm focusing on my other dog right now and then we are not training for the rest of the year. Not sure exactly how we will do it with Pan, we shall see...

Last edited by Liesje; 10-31-2011 at 04:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page