Questions about Schutzhund - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

Questions about Schutzhund

What type of qualities do they look for in your pup for Schutzhund training....how do you know if your pup has them?

I hope it isn't too general of a question....just if someone could point me in the right direction. I have a young pup here who has an extremely high prey drive, pack centered, yet can be left alone and is ok with that, will not give up on tug unless he wins just to name a few...and I know it is much more than that.

Is there someone here in Ohio to talk to??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 05:21 PM
Crowned Member

Go to a club or two and have him evaluated. Here is a listing of UScA clubs in OH:
USA - Mid-Eastern Clubs
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 05:28 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
Go to a club or two and have him evaluated. Here is a listing of UScA clubs in OH:
USA - Mid-Eastern Clubs
But, take what they say with a grain of salt.

Hunter, CWDC UScA Helper
Beschützer des Jägers v.d. Sportwaffen
Katya v. Hügelblick
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen
Arya v. Allrothaus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterisgreat View Post
But, take what they say with a grain of salt.

Ok, so I am new. I have no idea what makes a suitable dog for Schutzund Training. I know what I see and what just the basic puppy obedience instructors see in him....so how do I know what to take with a grain of salt? I guess I have a lot of reading to do!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 05:54 PM
Crowned Member

If your pup is confident and happy, with the drives you describe above, then he will probably be ok...the training and foundation you put into it will play into how things go from there.
Visit a few clubs and watch the interaction from the handler/dog teams...even if you don't bring your pup along, you'll learn lots!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 06:20 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

There are some very good clubs in Ohio so you should be able to get help and direction from any of them.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 TR3 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 07:42 PM
Crowned Member

Finding the right club is like dating. You'll know when you're at the right one, and the wrong ones will make you feel like crap lol

Hunter, CWDC UScA Helper
Beschützer des Jägers v.d. Sportwaffen
Katya v. Hügelblick
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen
Arya v. Allrothaus
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterisgreat View Post
Finding the right club is like dating. You'll know when you're at the right one, and the wrong ones will make you feel like crap lol

LOL Ok, I got that one!

The one thing that is unique about Ice, the obedience class picked up on, was that he'll carry metal....I brought his bowl for a demonstration, because after he is done eating he will pick it up, carry it into the living room and "herd" it.

I told them that was nothing, he seems to love anything metal--he was trying to carry rebar in the back yard and any piece of scrap, and he likes to crush my pop cans. Not that I give pop cans, scrap and rebar to him, but him carrying around his bowl is better than destroying my table and chairs.

He will play fetch with himself.....not that he has to...but if I am busy he will entertain himself with his ball and toys and the other dog.

So he is only four months old--and we both have a lot to learn. I'm used to a English Bulldog...and those two are like night and day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page