I went to first Shutzhund meeting and they recommended a fur saver collar - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

I went to first Shutzhund meeting and they recommended a fur saver collar

I would like some more insight and tips as to what types of leads and collars other Shutzhund folks are using.

I purchased a fur saver collar and a Ray Allen 5 foot lead with forged clasp for training. I should receive it in time for our 2nd obedience Shutzhund meet.

Does anyone have thoughts on this?

Also..when you are giving a leash correction are using a fur saver or matingale collar or something totally different? Today I tried out the fur saver while on a walk and it was fantastic as for the last few weeks walks have been becoming more stressful as she is hitting 9 months and she is reacting squirrels, ducks, cars, dogs and the easy lead harness was not easy to control her with.

We went past a jogging woman and I had her heeling walk and then a small dog, gave a tug on the new collar, got her attention put her into a heeling walk past the small dog and it was easy peasy. I just want to be sure that I should be doing these corrections for attention when she is reactive on a fur saver and not a matingale.

Still new..still learning...looking for advice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Purple"]Michelle
Mom to
Stella ~ GSD
Figgy ~ Tuxedo Cat
CoCo ~ Tabby Cat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP

Rio, GSD
SheRah, GSD Mix

Last edited by Stella's Mom; 10-19-2011 at 07:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 07:19 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Was it a fur saver, or a prong collar? Fur savers are not generally used for corrections for training - they don't give much of a correction - they are used more like a regular flat collar.

Lucia

2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlemaid View Post
Was it a fur saver, or a prong collar? Fur savers are not generally used for corrections for training - they don't give much of a correction - they are used more like a regular flat collar.
Definitely a fur saver. It is like a flat collar with links. I bought it through
Elite k-9 in black. I don't know if this club uses prong collars, I guess I will see more as time goes on.

[COLOR="Purple"]Michelle
Mom to
Stella ~ GSD
Figgy ~ Tuxedo Cat
CoCo ~ Tabby Cat

RIP

Rio, GSD
SheRah, GSD Mix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 07:50 PM
Crowned Member

Fursavers are the collar used for trialing.
For training, I use a prong, flat or both(run a tab on the prong) I never have my fursaver on the live ring, I use it for tracking. It is not a correction type collar as Lucia pointed out.
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
Fursavers are the collar used for trialing.
For training, I use a prong, flat or both(run a tab on the prong) I never have my fursaver on the live ring, I use it for tracking. It is not a correction type collar as Lucia pointed out.
I am still learning, what does run a tab on the prong mean for a prong collar?
Should I go ahead and buy a prong collar for Shutzhund obedience and tracking?

[COLOR="Purple"]Michelle
Mom to
Stella ~ GSD
Figgy ~ Tuxedo Cat
CoCo ~ Tabby Cat

RIP

Rio, GSD
SheRah, GSD Mix
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 09:19 PM
Elite Member

You should have a prong collar in your dog supplies, as well as a few different length leashes, a couple flat collars, a tracking harness (and long line). I would see what the people at your club have and what works best for them with the training you will be doing. They can explain what they like/dislike about different products, and where to purchase them. You may be able to 'borrow' an item to try out before you actually purchase it from some place to see if you will like it or not.

Dawn Brogan

post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 09:27 PM
Crowned Member

A tab is a short grab line...I like an 8" with a knot at the end of a gripper. That is usually on the live ring on the prong.
Then I run a longer line 4' on the flat collar for obedience training. I like a thin short lead for this.

I don't always use a prong for OB though, a flat or the fursaver on the dead ring is fine for Karlo.

When we do protection, a very long strong line on the harness or flat collar. A prong w/ tab is what we use mostly for control work.

Harnesses or agitation collars can usually be borrowed from other club members during a training session.
I like to have my own gear though, just so size adjustments don't have to take up time(my dog is big!).
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
A tab is a short grab line...I like an 8" with a knot at the end of a gripper. That is usually on the live ring on the prong.
Then I run a longer line 4' on the flat collar for obedience training. I like a thin short lead for this.

I don't always use a prong for OB though, a flat or the fursaver on the dead ring is fine for Karlo.

When we do protection, a very long strong line on the harness or flat collar. A prong w/ tab is what we use mostly for control work.

Harnesses or agitation collars can usually be borrowed from other club members during a training session.
I like to have my own gear though, just so size adjustments don't have to take up time(my dog is big!).
Thanks..I have sooooooo much to learn for Shutzhund.

[COLOR="Purple"]Michelle
Mom to
Stella ~ GSD
Figgy ~ Tuxedo Cat
CoCo ~ Tabby Cat

RIP

Rio, GSD
SheRah, GSD Mix
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnandjr View Post
You should have a prong collar in your dog supplies, as well as a few different length leashes, a couple flat collars, a tracking harness (and long line). I would see what the people at your club have and what works best for them with the training you will be doing. They can explain what they like/dislike about different products, and where to purchase them. You may be able to 'borrow' an item to try out before you actually purchase it from some place to see if you will like it or not.
Yes, I will have to get a prong collar. Hopefully she will not require it's use too often.

Last week I only got to see obedience, hopefully this week I can see protection and search work too. I will definitely take your advice and ask to borrow some equipment and ask for pros and cons.

[COLOR="Purple"]Michelle
Mom to
Stella ~ GSD
Figgy ~ Tuxedo Cat
CoCo ~ Tabby Cat

RIP

Rio, GSD
SheRah, GSD Mix
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 10:30 AM

We have a lot of gear. Dont worry, you dont need it all at once. Most people at clubs I've been to are pretty good about letting you borrow until you can get what you need.

Collars-
Fursavers
Nylon Slip leads
2" heavy leather agitation collar
Agitation Harness
Prong Collars
Dogtra E-collar

Most used is definitely the prong. That males an appearance in all 3 phases with almost all our dogs. But what you need most will depend on the dog you have and what tool they need for learning.

Leashes-
Tabs (usually on the prong collar)
I have leather leashes from 3ft to 8ft
A 33ft Biothane tracking line
30ft cotton horse lunge line

Bianka vom Eisernen Loewen IPO3, CGC, TC 1-3-08
Cade vom Eisernen Loewen IPO1, CGC 3-25-09
D'Artagnan (Tag) vom Eisernen Loewen BH 2-2-10
G Aiko von Burkndeiros SchH 3, IPO3, FH, TC, KKL2 9-17-02 (Retired)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page