Prey bites, defensive bites, IPO, and KNPV - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Prey bites, defensive bites, IPO, and KNPV

I was wondering. A dogs natural inclination is to bite softer and full mouth out of prey drive, but harder and less full in high defensive drive... SchH/IPO requires a full grip, but KNPV doesn't care so long as the dog stays on from what I understand. I'm sure a less full grip when in defensive drve has some evolutionary basis, so what do you think the reason is? More space in the grip plus thrashing leading to more serious damage? Thrashing with a full mouth grip wouldn't seem to tear tissue as effectively it would seem, where the full grip would better prevent the escape of prey. In defense you probably would prefer your opponent tuck tail and run so an inescapable grip might not be as important. What do you think?

Hunter, CWDC UScA Helper
Beschützer des Jägers v.d. Sportwaffen
Katya v. Hügelblick
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen
Arya v. Allrothaus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 02:05 PM
Elite Member

I think you have to look at the total picture. I've taken plenty of full mouth grips that are crushing, because they don't tear flesh, doesn't mean it can't break bones. There have been dogs i like that had less than full grips, but loads of everything else I like, and dogs with full mouth calm grips that I find to be pretty weak. But generally speaking, if a dog is being tested and throttles me and drives in for full bites, is a dog I think is oozing confidence and one I like.

I think a lot of strong dogs that don't have full grips, either don't have one because the opportunity to take one wasn't presented, or thru training it has moved away from wanting it, to just take what they can get and keeping it.

By the time a dog is trialing, no matter the sport, a lot of the "natural" stuff has been modified. They only way to really know is for those that have trained it up to be honest in what they did. It's why I love breeders that work their own dogs, know their dogs and breed for good ones. They know what they have.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackem View Post
I think you have to look at the total picture. I've taken plenty of full mouth grips that are crushing, because they don't tear flesh, doesn't mean it can't break bones. There have been dogs i like that had less than full grips, but loads of everything else I like, and dogs with full mouth calm grips that I find to be pretty weak. But generally speaking, if a dog is being tested and throttles me and drives in for full bites, is a dog I think is oozing confidence and one I like.

I think a lot of strong dogs that don't have full grips, either don't have one because the opportunity to take one wasn't presented, or thru training it has moved away from wanting it, to just take what they can get and keeping it.

By the time a dog is trialing, no matter the sport, a lot of the "natural" stuff has been modified. They only way to really know is for those that have trained it up to be honest in what they did. It's why I love breeders that work their own dogs, know their dogs and breed for good ones. They know what they have.
I agree but didn't want tocompare one dog to another as one dogs full prey bite might be harder than another's gve-it-my-all defensive bite. Throw in varied levels of training and we really can't drawn much from a comparison. What I was curious about though is with no training, a natuarlly full biting dog will get a more shallow bite when primarily in defense... If this is natural, then why?

Hunter, CWDC UScA Helper
Katya v. Hügelblick
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen
Arya v. Allrothaus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 02:13 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

I think you first have to have an understanding of the foundation of our breed to really understand the importance of a full, HARD and calm grip.

A full grip may come from prey (and genetics), but the power and hardness come from fight and the dog's desire to control, dominate and over power the helper (also very much genetic). This falls inline with schutzhund's foundation as a breed test and not just a bite sport (ring) or police/sport test (KNPV).

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 TR3 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 02:18 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Guess I misunderstood your question. A dog biting out of defense's goal is to drive off what is causing its fear. How it bites will not matter as much as its final goal of driving away the threat. That is why most fear biters come from behind and nip or, when cornered, bite quickly and let go, bite again and let go. The defensive dogs does a tremendous amount of damage and, paying attention to the foundation of our breed and what we wanted in our breed would be VERY undesirable.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 TR3 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhczth View Post
Guess I misunderstood your question. A dog biting out of defense's goal is to drive off what is causing its fear. How it bites will not matter as much as its final goal of driving away the threat. That is why most fear biters come from behind and nip or, when cornered, bite quickly and let go, bite again and let go. The defensive dogs does a tremendous amount of damage and, paying attention to the foundation of our breed and what we wanted in our breed would be VERY undesirable.
Right, I'm not taking about what's good for the breed or sport or anything, just the nature of bites from an evolutionary perspective. I'd guess that even the finest biting GSD could switch to a shallower undesirable (from SchH perspective) bite if you put enough pressure on him.

Hunter, CWDC UScA Helper
Katya v. Hügelblick
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen
Arya v. Allrothaus
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

In comparison, I know Pitts thrash heavily when biting to maximize damage. Is their bite less full by SchH standards as well? To Pitt folks also work towards breeding and training a full bite?

Hunter, CWDC UScA Helper
Katya v. Hügelblick
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen
Arya v. Allrothaus
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 03:07 PM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterisgreat View Post
Right, I'm not taking about what's good for the breed or sport or anything, just the nature of bites from an evolutionary perspective. I'd guess that even the finest biting GSD could switch to a shallower undesirable (from SchH perspective) bite if you put enough pressure on him.

Think about the mindset that the dog is in, and really the reason why a defensive bite is more frontal naturally flows from that understanding.

A frontal bite is quicker to deliver, and retreat from, than a full bite. The fact that more tearing damage may occur from a frontal bite with the canines is just a by-product and has nothing to do with why the dog bites that way. A dog in defense is protecting himself from a threat and will strive to drive the threat away while minimizing the chances of getting harmed himself. A dog in defense with rush in, tag quickly, and then back off out of reach, hoping that tag drove whatever is threatening him away.

Considering *why* the dog in defense is biting in the first place, makes that lack of committment, lack of desire to hold on and unwillingness to stay in close contact with the threat that leads to those quick, chewy frontal bites quite understandable. This is far safer than staying in close and hanging on. The dog who stays close and holds on is putting himself in more danger, which is why this sort of biting behavior comes from a very different drive and place within the dog's head.

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 04:16 PM
Elite Member

I think a frontal bite just gives the dog more flexibility to run / bite somewhere else etc while a full bite gives the dog a higher chance of holding on to the item.

I mean, if I'm chasing something I might stretch my arms out and wrap that something up and hold on, but if I'm being cornered or assaulted by somebody I'll be more likely to send a couple of quick hits to disorient him enough to make my escape.

Dont know if that makes sense, just my ideas
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 04:19 PM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoitzrimz View Post
I think a frontal bite just gives the dog more flexibility to run / bite somewhere else etc while a full bite gives the dog a higher chance of holding on to the item.

I mean, if I'm chasing something I might stretch my arms out and wrap that something up and hold on, but if I'm being cornered or assaulted by somebody I'll be more likely to send a couple of quick hits to disorient him enough to make my escape.

Dont know if that makes sense, just my ideas
Actually, that's it exactly.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page