WUSV several dogs in critical condition due to Babesiose - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Banned

WUSV several dogs in critical condition due to Babesiose

this is a quote from Marko Koskensalo. It was posted on a german forum.
Quote:
Hello dogtrainers from all over the World, I'd searched for the fastest way to reach the most of you. Last week we entered the WUSV 2011. Lots of problems there, but we'll talk about that later. The German team has several ill dogs after this WUSV (Jenny, Sven (dog is in critical state, and Sascha (good luck with everything all!!)), the Dutch team has 2 sick dogs now (Sjacky (became sick in Kiev a...lready), and my own dog is showing the first signs already.(gasping, darker urine, listlessness) Vets in Kiev say that the illness is called Piroplasmose or Babesoise (this is also the name of the parasite they said). When they draw blood you can see big changes in the blood levels. (10/15% lower then they should be). I'll post this results later. For now, spread the word!! Share this post and let every dogsporter who was in Kiev know.
Svens dog is still in a very critical condition. Jenny Seefeld just postet about it on a German Forum. Gino (the Bundessieger) made it. He got 12 shots and is "top-fit", Saschas dog is good too, Svens dog is still fighting the parasite. Jenny said that they know of TEN DOGS are infected and fighting Babesiose.

What I don't understand. If I throw the WUSV in a country where they have an extreme parasite... WHY IN THE WORLD DID THEY NOT NOTIFY THE CONTESTANTS AND TOLD THEM WHERE THEY CAN GET THE STUFF TO PROTECT THEIR DOGS FROM IT?

Every German contestant protected their dogs with tick spot-ons but apparently the stuff you get in Germany is not aggressive enough. People from other countries have the same problem.

THE WUSV should have taken precautions!

Last edited by Mrs.K; 10-13-2011 at 02:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 04:04 PM
Master Member

OMG, hope all of the dogs recover.

Melinda

Wolfgang Von Ironwood, GSD
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 05:08 PM
Crowned Member

Kiev was not a good choice for many reasons....sad, but have talked to some people who were there....one friend actually found a tick on himself!!!!!!! Luckily, it had not latched on to him......

I have heard of alot of Arabian horses imported with this disease, but just now learned it affects dogs too....very very sad...Hope they all make it....I just talked to one of our team, and all are aware and watching their dogs closely - this is sort of like Lyme disease -tick borne, but much worse than Lyme....

Prayers with those whose dogs have been affected....

Lee

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 05:49 PM
Knighted Member

How sad I hope the dogs recover fully.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PSA- PDC
Rest in Peace my boys
Zeus 2000-2009
Odin 2010-2011
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 05:12 AM Thread Starter
Banned

via Jenny Seefeld:

Quote:
The Dogs need this medicine.
http://www.intervet.com.eg/binaries/Bere…m124-160753.pdf
Dear Jeannette please send this masage to the owner of a diseased dogs.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 05:15 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josie/Zeus View Post
How sad I hope the dogs recover fully.
Yeah, I hope so too. It's ridiculous and the RH WM is suppossed to be in the Ukraine as well. They should have done the research. It's an absolute skandal to let them run into stuff like that. There should have been something on the website or not doing the WUSV over there at all.

I'd sue them over and have them cover the vet bill of every single dog. Stuff like that makes me mad. It's common sense to check what is going on there and to make it public and known to the contestants. If our preventatives are not aggressive enough for that kind of parasite I am pretty sure that they have stuff right there that is. They screwed up big time and I just hope that nobody looses his/her dog over the WUSV not doing their job.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 06:37 AM Thread Starter
Banned

The female Shepherd from Sweden just died...
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 07:12 AM
Crowned Member

Most of the hunting dogs are given the meds, due to the conditions.

100% of the time when Gabor is in Europe, no matter what country, he uses a preventic collar. No issue and there are some countries where areas are more prevalent to have this issue.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Yeah, let's hope that no other dog dies from it. Those are some of the best shepherds in the world and now they are fighting a parasite because the SV didn't do their job.... this is crazy.

The newest update is that Svens Harro is still fighting. They are on their way to the Clinic in Munich and Walter Lenk is with them. His dog is showing the first signs of the infection.

Harro's pee looks better though and he's tried eating. So lets hope that no other dog will die. I feel so sorry for the Swedish Handler who lost his bitch.

Please keep all the dogs and their handlers in your prayers or send good an positive thoughts.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 07:56 AM

I saw this on the WUSV site, under "News"

Quote:
Important Information!!!!
1. Wir bitten Ihre Hunde unbedingt gegen Zecken zu schützen. Das ist sehr wichtig, denn die Gesundheit der Hunde ist bei Zeckenbefall erheblich gefährdet!!!
· We ask you to protect your dogs against ticks. This is highly important because of tick-bites are very dangerous for the health of the dogs.
Global Informations

I don't know if that's a strong enough warning (not too specific, maybe a translation issue?), or why it was under News and not more prominently displayed across the site.

I feel terrible for those poor dogs, and for their handlers. No one wants to put their dog in danger like this. Very, very sad about the Swedish dog. I hope the others pull through.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page