New IPO rules - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Administrator & LOTR Addict

New IPO rules

Since we now have a second USCA judge as a member, I thought I would start a thread to discuss the new rules coming in 2012.

Frank, can you cover some of the high points (or low depending on how one looks at it) and the biggest changes that we will have to worry about (and train for)?

Thank you,

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 TR3 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 02:03 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

May I be introduced to Frank? Since I'm in Canada, perhaps I could be excused for not recognizing the name. thanks.

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 02:46 PM

Hi Lisa

Ok I will try a few...But while I am still judging trials this year I have not completely studied the new rules as I don't want to confuse myself...LOL

The New BH
Heeling on leash and off leash is the same. sit in motion is much easier, 10-15 build up stop take a basic, give the sit command and then walk 15 paces away, return. The down in motion is the same build up and stop as sit, except you walk 30 paces away and then recall.
The down under distraction is no longer always a complete 10 pt loss if the dog breaks.
the rule says "If the dog leaves the designated area by more than 3 meters prior to the other dog completing exercise 2, then the exercise is evaluated with zero points. If the dog leaves the designated area after the end of exercise 2, then a deduction of 3 points will result."

In tracking the explaination to us at the Judges meeting was, slight praise during the track for IPO1 still OK, Ipo2 & 3 NO, only at the articles. Praise still before OR after you show the articles but not both.
You MUST follow the dog!!! No more when the dog takes a left turn the handler swings out wide right to keep a tight line...Nope, handler help!

Obedience: buildups and commands are still the same. Only difference is in paces after the command, 15 if you return to the dog, 30 if a recall exercise.

Retrieves are judged slightly different. Now a dog must do 2 out of 3 portions of the jumping retrieves, so technically the dog could jump over, jump back no retrieve at all and get partial points...No Longer now One of the 2/3 MUST be "completing" the retrieve portion. Hint to handlers, if dog drops the dumbbell at your feet and you pick it up he did NOT complete the retrieve and you will lose ALL points, give the second bring command and have the dog pick it up and save yourself some points....but don't move your feet or position.....

Protection, the handler MUST check in for protection, IPO1 on leash to check in and then out to middle of the field, IPO2 on leash to check in, then leash off to heel out to center of field. IPO3 off leash entire time.
Handler MUST give a "go" (type) command at the escape. Handler does the same putting dog into down and then return to the blind, handler watches Judge and when Judge signals Helper to run the handler gives a "Go" command....This was to apease some in europe that the dog is not biting someone running away all on his own....

After Check out at the end, the handler heels off leash to the critique area before he puts the leash back on the dog....they do not want dogs looking out of control going crazy at the end of the leash while the handler tries to drag them off the field....

that's all I can think of off the top of my head right now...But I just got the SV DVD's showing routines and explainations in the mail (haven't watched yet) but I will let you know if there is anything else....

The english rules are also availible to anyone now for anyone to download...

http://www.fci.be/circulaires/55-2011-annex-en.pdf

Hope this helps some

Frank

Last edited by schh3fh2; 10-13-2011 at 02:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 03:33 PM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Hi Frank! Welcome to the board!

Thanks for the info. A couple questions when you have time.

Is it true that we can no longer take a step back to help get more leverage when throwing the dumbbell? If so, for those of us who might have to, what is the penalty? All points because we "broke basic position" or are there now points within the exercise allocated to the throw itself? How will this be handled?

With the new rule for having to heel off lead for the critique, as there are no points associated with this I'm assuming it's a case that if the dog doesn't heel it's a DQ, regardless of how the actual pointed routine was performed? Given this new requirement, will there be instructions to the helpers on how to leave the field once they are dismissed after the side transport, so as to give consideration to the dog (e.g. not following closely behind the dog, or running off the field waving the sleeve on their way to get a drink before getting back in the blind, etc...)

post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 03:54 PM

Frank-

Is it only in the BH that the judge can now touch/handle the dog at any point, or is it in the 1-3 also? Is it mandatory to touch the dogs, or is it at the judge's discretion?

Michelle K.
--------------
Torro v Lordon Haus (GSD) SchH3 IPO3 OFA HOT (RIP)
Nico van Arek (Mal) SchH3 OFA HOT (Retired)
Chuligan pod Cvilinem (Mal)
Krafts Bijoou (Mal)
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wild View Post
Is it true that we can no longer take a step back to help get more leverage when throwing the dumbbell? If so, for those of us who might have to, what is the penalty? All points because we "broke basic position" or are there now points within the exercise allocated to the throw itself? How will this be handled?

The FCI President (one of the authors of the new rules) was at our judges meeting and he said Yes, you are correct, you can not move your feet to throw... Then I spoke to the Head Judge of another European country and he said no, it is OK....so I think it will be up to the interpretation of the rule by the Judge...But to me the rule says NO, you can not move...here is the revelent part of the rule:

"b) Execution: From the basic position the handler (HF) throws a dumbbell (650grams) approximately 10 meters out. The command (HZ) to “bring” may first be given when the dumbbell comes to a full stop. The handler may not move from his position."

It only has to be thrown 10 meters, so i would try to not move your feet when throwing, I tell the people in my club that have trouble throwing the 3 DB to throw it kind of flat and let it roll to the 10 meters.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wild View Post
With the new rule for having to heel off lead for the critique, as there are no points associated with this I'm assuming it's a case that if the dog doesn't heel it's a DQ, regardless of how the actual pointed routine was performed? Given this new requirement, will there be instructions to the helpers on how to leave the field once they are dismissed after the side transport, so as to give consideration to the dog (e.g. not following closely behind the dog, or running off the field waving the sleeve on their way to get a drink before getting back in the blind, etc...)
I was told at the Judges meeting to keep the helper there in the general area of the judge until the dog is in the designated area and on leash before the helper leaves the field.....But I will train for both, just in case...

Frank
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchHGSD View Post
Frank-

Is it only in the BH that the judge can now touch/handle the dog at any point, or is it in the 1-3 also? Is it mandatory to touch the dogs, or is it at the judge's discretion?
During the temperment test (all levels) the dog must allow himself to be touched....But it will be up to the judge if he does or not....It doesn't say it is manditory but the dog must allow it....

I have to go track now and then pack to go Judging this weekend, but i will check back here on Monday....Have a good weekend everyone...

Hope this helps some...

Frank
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 04:03 PM
Knighted Member

I have one! On page 38 of the new rules, for the ZTP is this:
"When the dog grips, he receives 2 soft stick hits from the helper".

Is that two soft hits, or two hits with a soft stick?

Anne

post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 04:08 PM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Thanks, Frank.

I'm just thinking for a lot of people, especially our junior handlers (and more than a few adults to be honest), chucking the 3 DB the required distance from a flat footed position is going to be awfully difficult and I would hope some consideration would be given to the handler's sheer physical ability in that case especially since I don't see the relevance in terms of judging the dog and training. Though the rolling it isn't a bad idea.. time to brush up the bowling skills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schh3fh2 View Post

I was told at the Judges meeting to keep the helper there in the general area of the judge until the dog is in the designated area and on leash before the helper leaves the field.....But I will train for both, just in case...

Frank
This is sort of what I was envisioning. Send dog and handler back downfield to the critique area, then helper is truly dismissed and judge comes along afterward.

Either that or another, really long, no points associated side transport.

Knowing all the dogs out there who are well versed in the routine as it was and thus know when they are off the clock and can free up their behavior, and all the helpers well habituated to know when they're off the clock too and can take a break and do whatever they want, and all the spectators habituated to whooping and hollering and clapping as soon as the transport is over getting everyone all riled up again.... I could see all sorts of things going wrong here while people retrain their dogs (and themselves). So I was hoping this was something the judges had put their heads together on how to handle.

Am I correct to assume that failure to heel to the critique position would be a DQ, regardless of the routine performance then, or are points being assigned to this portion now?

post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 04:19 PM
Elite Member

my question is about the escape. I guess I don't care one way or the other. Now is this some meaningless rule where the helper runs and the handler yells "go" command instantly it's really the same as before? except the handler can give a command.

or is it going to be like the long "grip" where we have to wait for the judges signal to command our dogs? I'm sure I read that a dog that left early would lose a point or two, so for those that are going to be training this, and would like to show our dogs can hold the down till sent, is the distance the helper has to run be increased? I mean, i'm not fast, but if somebody is holding their dog in a down for a second, I can cover enough ground that i'll get to the end point of the exercise before the dog gets me, how will that be accounted for?

or will it matter? as long as the handler says something quick enough, everybody is happy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page